Grantsdale ships, no wi-fi

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&e=1&u=/zd/20040617/tc_zd/129827

Sounds like a familiar story, originally Centrinos had problems with their
wi-fi too. Actually now that they have gotten their Centrinos working, why
wouldn't Intel just adapt their Centrino Wi-Fi to be used on this? It sounds
like they designed a totally new wi-fi chipset for Grantsdale vs. Centrino.

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

rush

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&e=1&u=/zd/2004
> 0617/tc_zd/129827
>
> Sounds like a familiar story, originally Centrinos had problems
> with their wi-fi too. Actually now that they have gotten their
> Centrinos working, why wouldn't Intel just adapt their Centrino
> Wi-Fi to be used on this? It sounds like they designed a totally
> new wi-fi chipset for Grantsdale vs. Centrino.

"To enable the wireless access point, the Grantsdale chipset will
require an Intel-specific PCI card that won't be available until later
this year, Intel officials said."

In other words they dont make PCI cards yet. I see no tips about
troubles with the chipset.

"OEMs that want to ship their own Wi-Fi-enabled desktops next week will
have to buy their own components, and they won't be able to connect to
the Intel chipset."

WTF does that mean ? I'm talking about "and they won't be able to
connect to the Intel chipset." part. Someone retarded wrote that.

"and the inclusion of the Wi-Fi access point technology"

This is plain stupid statement. Its WiFi technology, Acces point is
only a function.

"None of today's third-party Wi-Fi radios can interface to the ICH6W
components."

Nice PR, in other words "our WiFi is 100% software based, no hardware,
now bend over boy". That "PCI daughtercard will house the actual radio
component" is ALL you need. Just look at Realteks 8180 PCI card - one
little chip + antenna + lots of empty space on the board, all magic is
in the software(AP,APC,WDS, you name it).

"None of the third-party Wi-Fi radios available on the market can
interface to the ICH6W components, he said, meaning that Grantsdale-
equipped PCs are essentially locked in to the Intel solution at a chip
level. Intel's PCI daughtercards will ramp during the third and fourth
quarters, he said"

More PR bullshit. "None of the third-party wheels available on the
market can interface to the Acura car." ... Wonder how much he earns :/

Now thats funny :
"The company shipped third-party radios with its first Centrino mobile
platforms"

So thats what makes those Pentium-M a Centrino, a third party WiFi :D
And I was under the impression that Centrino was all about 3xIntel
combo.

"But the Centrino and ICH6W use different control logic, Snyder said,
so Intel can't use the Centrino to help it out of the jam."

Can you spell Bull.... :/ Different PCI, thats new.

"But Intel's High said volume quantities of the chips will be available
at launch, and that it's not a "paper launch" where shipments show up
later in the year"

Like they never lie.

"We're feeling that a fairly reasonable supply will be coming out the
door,"

I'm feeling that "fairly reasonable" is somewhat fairly wide term.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

Bitstring <hsGAc.51$ipu.0@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, from
the wonderful person Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> said
>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&e=1&u=/zd/20040617/
>tc_zd/129827
>
>Sounds like a familiar story, originally Centrinos had problems with their
>wi-fi too. Actually now that they have gotten their Centrinos working, why
>wouldn't Intel just adapt their Centrino Wi-Fi to be used on this? It sounds
>like they designed a totally new wi-fi chipset for Grantsdale vs. Centrino.

Come on Yousef, I thought you knew that the #1 competitor for the Intel
desktop guys was the Intel mobile guys (and Vice versa). AMD are
probably about #4 on this list, if Intel internal politics is anything
like normal.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote:

HAR HAR HAR! That's the funniest post I've seen in months! Good job,
dude.

J.