Hello GTA People,

I'm amazed there's been so little comment about the upcoming GTA title
for PSP. I know no one has a PSP yet, but it's a new GTA title! In two
months!

Does anyone know anything at all about it? Normally Rockstar would have
started releasing snippets of info by now wouldn't they?

If it's at all decent I'll buy a PSP just to play it. I originally
bought a PS2 just to play GTA3 after playing GTA2 on the Dreamcast, and
I don't regret it. I still only have five games (and that includes
GTA3, VC and San Andreas).

By the way, GTA for PSP (we don't have a title yet) is being developed
at Rockstar Leeds in the UK, literally 3 miles in a straight line from
where I live. I might drop round...

Leodiensian <chrispoad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello GTA People,

> I'm amazed there's been so little comment about the upcoming GTA title
> for PSP. I know no one has a PSP yet, but it's a new GTA title! In two
> months!

I can't get caught up in the buzz for some reason.

There's some combination of the handheld-ness of the PSP, the hacker
paradise it's already turned into, and a feeling that the thing is
relatively unrefined/incomplete as far as Sony standards go. I'd
hate to buy one just to see a revised model released in the near
future (not that Sony has a habit of doing this). That shiny finish
is reason enough to make a change. :)

> Does anyone know anything at all about it? Normally Rockstar would have
> started releasing snippets of info by now wouldn't they?

> If it's at all decent I'll buy a PSP just to play it. I originally
> bought a PS2 just to play GTA3 after playing GTA2 on the Dreamcast, and
> I don't regret it. I still only have five games (and that includes
> GTA3, VC and San Andreas).

Oh yeah, and beating someone up with a miniaturized thug doesn't appeal
to my blood lust enough either.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:56:32 -0700, Leodiensian wrote:

> By the way, GTA for PSP (we don't have a title yet)

"we"?

do you work for r*?

> is being developed at Rockstar Leeds in the UK, literally 3 miles in a
> straight line from where I live. I might drop round...

do you work for r*?

No, I meant "we" as in the people on this board. I would have thought
Rockstar has a title.

MSC

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

On 18 Apr 2005 08:56:32 -0700, "Leodiensian" <chrispoad@gmail.com>
wrote:

>By the way, GTA for PSP (we don't have a title yet) is being developed
>at Rockstar Leeds in the UK, literally 3 miles in a straight line from
>where I live. I might drop round...

*Clunk*

(That was my jaw dropping)
*Looks not very far to the north*
Blimey! I wonder if they need any new staff...

Mike

P.S. Is this the place that used to be Psygnosis?

Not sure, it used to be a place called Mobius, which I've never heard
of.

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/maxpayne/news_6093162.html

Their address is: St Pauls House, Richard Shaw Lane, Pudsey, Leeds LS28
6BN UK if you want to send a CV...

And here is where that is:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=422086&y=434215&z=0&sv=LS28+6BN&st=2&pc=LS28+6BN&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

I've just realised I actually work 1.5 minutes drive away.

I realise this is all very interesting to people living in Idaho.

MSC

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

On 20 Apr 2005 00:41:23 -0700, "Leodiensian" <chrispoad@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Not sure, it used to be a place called Mobius, which I've never heard
>of.

>I've just realised I actually work 1.5 minutes drive away.
>
>I realise this is all very interesting to people living in Idaho.

Cheers.

I had a look at www.rockstarleeds.co.uk (very minimal) but they seem
only to be after C++ bods, I'm still old school C I'm afraid :eek:(

I remember Mobius, one of the artists at Team17 (where I used to work)
moved there.

As to people living in Idaho, well, who knows, GTA Leeds might be on
the cards! In fact the more I think about it, the more it seems
viable! Doing taxi missions in a 1981 Datsun Cherry doesn't appeal
massively though, it has to be said.

Mike

MSC wrote:

> I had a look at www.rockstarleeds.co.uk (very minimal) but they seem
> only to be after C++ bods, I'm still old school C I'm afraid :eek:(

Umm.....how much harder would it be to upgrade that by 2 +'s?

> I remember Mobius, one of the artists at Team17 (where I used to work)
> moved there.

Was Worms your idea?........I used to like naming the opposition after my
in-laws...

> As to people living in Idaho, well, who knows, GTA Leeds might be on
> the cards! In fact the more I think about it, the more it seems
> viable! Doing taxi missions in a 1981 Datsun Cherry doesn't appeal
> massively though, it has to be said.

GTA Leeds??
LOL
How much fun can you have spending 1/2 a day trapped in a pyschotic One Way
system ?!!?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

In article <F8y9e.6253$Pc.5722@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
M <spam@spamme.com> wrote:
>MSC wrote:
>
>> I had a look at www.rockstarleeds.co.uk (very minimal) but they seem
>> only to be after C++ bods, I'm still old school C I'm afraid :eek:(
>
>Umm.....how much harder would it be to upgrade that by 2 +'s?

Wash your mouth out! C is a pretty lightweight language that, although it
has problems, is a reasonable tool in the hands of a competent developer,
provided it's applied to suitable problem areas (you want to do
string-processing, embed a scripting language, for example).

C++ is a vile bloated mess, which takes all the disadvantages of C and adds
to them. It is the language of choice of fashion victims who want to find
the most painful way possible to demonstrate Greenspun's tenth law (nothing
quite as irritating as an STL bore who thinks they're the first person in
the world to discover list processing - everybody else was doing it in the
60s, guys).

If I read "MSC" right, it's not a matter of "upgrading" - it's a matter of
job satisfaction and sanity, and as a UNIX/C programmer, with a declarative
habit on the side (SML, etc.), I find that the more I come into contact with
C++, the worse my working quality of life becomes, so I can sympathise here.

MSC

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:33:57 GMT, "M" <spam@spamme.com> wrote:

>MSC wrote:
>
>> I had a look at www.rockstarleeds.co.uk (very minimal) but they seem
>> only to be after C++ bods, I'm still old school C I'm afraid :eek:(
>
>Umm.....how much harder would it be to upgrade that by 2 +'s?

Very. It's a totally different concept, and a bit of a bodge really
too. C# is 'better' but seems to carry even more overhead. I do
appreciate the benefits of OO programming in a large system, but both
are totally over the top for programming embedded microcontrollers
with a few K code space (which is mainly what I do).I'll stop there
because language wars are probably as bad as OS wars!

>> I remember Mobius, one of the artists at Team17 (where I used to work)
>> moved there.
>
>Was Worms your idea?........I used to like naming the opposition after my
>in-laws...

Not guilty m'lud! Although my name is in there somewhere ;o)

>GTA Leeds??
>LOL
>How much fun can you have spending 1/2 a day trapped in a pyschotic One Way
>system ?!!?

Oh, I don't know, driving a Rhino the wrong way around the 1 way would
be pretty satisfying, maybe it could involve launching a grenade at
the traffic planning office!

Pizza deliveries could be done totally within the Hyde Park area, and
taxi driving would have to go from A to B via the most tortuous route
possible whilst avoiding the passengers vomit. Around mid game, the
Pudsey bypass and M621 would open up, giving access to the delights of
Bradford!

Mike.