Give me the low down on the differences between the Cisco ..

I am interested to hear about the uses and practical applications of
the Cisco PIX 501, 506, 515, and 525. Please let me know the
application and why that specific firewall would be chosen. Thanks
for your help.
6 answers Last reply
More about give differences cisco

    Hi,

    cimjac1 <jcordray@cimco.net> wrote:
    > I am interested to hear about the uses and practical applications of
    > the Cisco PIX 501, 506, 515, and 525.

    Perfect qeustion for your friendly cisco sales guy.

    > Please let me know the
    > application and why that specific firewall would be chosen.

    Have you even started to read http://www.cisco.com/ ?
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/index.html
    discusses the Cisco Pix 500 family...

    Two obvious clicks away:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/prod_models_home.html

    we learn:

    Cisco PIX 525 Firewall
    Gigabit Ethernet-ready, modular security appliance for medium-to-large enterprise network environments

    Cisco PIX 515E Firewall
    Modular, high performance security appliance for small-to-medium business and enterprise network environments

    Cisco PIX 506E Firewall
    Cost-effective, high performance security appliance for remote office/branch office environments

    Cisco PIX 501 Firewall
    Compact, plug-n-play security appliance for small office/home office environments

    > Thanks
    > for your help.

    You are welcome. You have overlooked the highend 500 Pix: 535...

    Greetings,
    Jens

    <snip>
    You have overlooked the highend 500 Pix: 535...
    <snip>

    or the even higher end, pix blade ;)

    SysAdm

    ps. to the original poster: go read about the pix at cisco.com

    Hi,

    SysAdm <me@here.com> wrote:
    > or the even higher end, pix blade ;)

    The pix blade is no pix 500 series.

    I have to admit, that I ignored the EOL products.

    Greetings,
    Jens

    Jens Hoffmann <jh@bofh.de> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > SysAdm <me@here.com> wrote:
    >> or the even higher end, pix blade ;)
    >
    > The pix blade is no pix 500 series.
    >
    > I have to admit, that I ignored the EOL products.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Jens

    agreed Jens, it isnt a 500 series. I was just being picky as Im not sure
    the poster new.

    SysAdm

    So basically you are saying the number of users it what
    differientiates the models. I was just wandering if there were
    reasons other than size of office that would require higher models.

    jcordray@cimco.net (cimjac1) wrote in news:5cc92e04.0407080741.66e4dd46
    @posting.google.com:

    > So basically you are saying the number of users it what
    > differientiates the models. I was just wandering if there were
    > reasons other than size of office that would require higher models.

    connections per second
    throughput
    max number of interfaces
    interface type selection

    its not just about the number of users - in fact in many scenarios, the
    number of users is much less relevant than the connections per second
    capacity (ie. application hosting)

    SysAdm

Firewalls Cisco Security Networking