sticks

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002

I made the stupid mistake of purchasing a
new P4 2.8 ghz CPU without noticing that
it was a P4 "prescott" CPU and my mainboard
will only accept a P4 "northwood" CPU.
I put the CPU in the board before noticing
this dumb error on my part, and of course
the system did not boot up.
Is the CPU now likely damaged?

sticks <sticks@nospam.com> wrote:
> I made the stupid mistake of purchasing a
> new P4 2.8 ghz CPU without noticing that
> it was a P4 "prescott" CPU and my mainboard
> will only accept a P4 "northwood" CPU.
> I put the CPU in the board before noticing
> this dumb error on my part, and of course
> the system did not boot up.
> Is the CPU now likely damaged?

I doubt it, unless you saw or smelled smoke. Just ask them to exchange it
for the Northwood.

Yousuf Khan