Dell: We Have Thinnest 15'' on the Planet, If You Don't Compare It Against Every

Status
Not open for further replies.

roymustang

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
The Dell quote says thinnest 15" PC and a Mac is technically not a PC (even though they have PC parts now). So I don't have a problem with them saying that.

G

Thinnest 15" PC in the Universe*

Based on other 15" laptop PCs manufactured on Earth, excluding Apple and all extra terrestrial civilizations not listed.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]roymustang[/nom]The Dell quote says thinnest 15" PC and a Mac is technically not a PC (even though they have PC parts now). So I don't have a problem with them saying that.[/citation]

Technically, PC stands for Personal Computer. A Mac could be personal. This whole Mac vs PC is wrong. It should be Windows vs Mac-OS.

G

@roymustang
Under which "technical" guidelines are you classifying a Personal Computer?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]roymustang[/nom]The Dell quote says thinnest 15" PC and a Mac is technically still PC (the fact that they are x86 cpu based is completely irrelevant). So I think it's pretty stupid that they're saying that.[/citation]

Fixed that for you.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Wow, now I really do have the fastest CPU* in the whole galaxy!

*i7 930 not compared to CPUs costing greater than the ratio of US national debt to US GDP.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
no its not thinner than a mac but who really cares about mac? if it isnt an iphone or ipod or ipad its basically a linux pc with a cute little logo and no gaming ability what so ever. So in the world of REAL computing its the thinnest laptop.

[citation][nom]roymustang[/nom]The Dell quote says thinnest 15" PC and a Mac is technically not a PC (even though they have PC parts now). So I don't have a problem with them saying that.[/citation]
A Mac is a "PC" which stands for Personal Computer. It would be correct if they had said "Windows PC"

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Uh yawn of a story.

Macs suck...PCs are the best yada yada yada.

Let me know when laptops are the thickness and weight of a 70 sheet college ruled notebook, cost as much, and each page can be writen on like a sheet of paper, or used as a touch screen.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]no its not thinner than a mac but who really cares about mac? if it isnt an iphone or ipod or ipad its basically a linux pc with a cute little logo and no gaming ability what so ever. So in the world of REAL computing its the thinnest laptop.[/citation]
Except that Mac OS has nothing to do with Linux.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
It does look like Dell is trying to get into the whole Design thing. I welcome the attempt, and look forward to see what else they can come up with. But..right now...they would have to pry my MacBook Pro out of my cold, dead, hands.

Being thin is nice. As long as you're not giving up something to get it thin.
But being lighter - now that would be even better.
And longer battery life.
I'd prefer lighter and longer battery life to being 'thinner'.

Since Dell stated that they have "The thinnest 15" PC on the planet" we have to compared to other 15" systems. That leaves the MacBook and MacBook Air out since they do not come on 15".
So the MacBook Pro is 1" (25mm) and the Dell 15z 0.97 (24.645mm).
That leaves the Samsung 9 and ThinkPad X1 out since they do not have 15" models.
So it looks like Dell do have the thinnest 15" by a hair and lets see for how long.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
PC is the term IBM used for their very successful microcomputer in 1981. For that point on, the term PC meant IBM PC compatible. In fact, PC Compatible was a very common term.

The term to describe smaller computers up to that time was "microcomputer", or "micro". PC meant something specific.

Whether you consider the Mac a PC should be based entirely on whether it runs PC Compatible software, not if it's a microcomputer. I realize the younger generation doesn't know this stuff, and it's confusing, but that's traditionally the boundary between a PC and other microcomputers (which everything is now, since everything uses a microprocessor).

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
After a certain point thinness matters not. What matters is hardware performance. Tis precisely why iCrapple puts out so much, well, CRAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.