Nocona in LGA775?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:12:57 GMT, Rob Jellinghaus <robj@unrealities.com>
wrote:

>Intel "unveils" first workstation EMT64 on Monday:
>
>http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/06/22/HNintelnocona_1.html
>
>Is this chip going to be usable with Grantsdale / Alderwood / LGA-775?
>
>In other words, if I buy a Grantsdale system, is there any chance Intel
>will release an EMT64-enabled CPU that will work with it?

The Datasheets for the 915 & 925 just appeared in the last day or so at
Intel's site and confirm that their FSB interface handles addresses only up
to 32-bits... confirming the 4GB max memory mentioned in various
descriptions recently. This wouldn't necessarily rule out an EM64T-enabled
CPU, as long as it never tried to access >4GB memory (I haven't looked at
every detail of the specs yet) but that and the mention of a new
workstation chipset, Tumwater, in the article you cite certainly says where
Intel is targeting EM64T: Xeon. IMO this is a major blunder on Intel's
part - I can't believe they still think they can control market
segmentation here.

BTW I haven't seen any performance data for EM64T yet which is kinda
strange - you'd think that if it worked well, read better than AMD64,
they'd be crowing about it. Oh well........

Rgds, George Macdonald