Memory only at Gateway?

I have the model 450 sx4 and have 256mb or RAM.......I wanted to upgrade to
make things run better. What is the maximum size chip that I can install on
the laptop? Memory intensive programs really slow my computer down. Will
just another 256mb of ram be sufficient?

Thanks,
Russ

Can I get this memory at other venders? Or is this memory only located at
Gateway?
Sorry for the repost and thanks for any and all help.

Russ

Russ,

Gateway, like other name-brand manufacturers, sells their own "Gateway
certified" memory at much inflated prices. The only differences between
Gateway-branded memory and generic good-quality memory are:

1. The Gateway sticker on the memory module.
2. The assurance from Gateway that the memory will work in your model of
computer.

However, a little research can help. Try www.crucial.com for help AND far
better prices on memory upgrades.

If your notebook came from Gateway set up with 2x128 SODIMM memory modules, be
prepared to remove one or both to upgrade your system. On the other hand, if
your system came equipped with a single 256MB SODIMM, it has one free SODIMM
socket to add more memory, like most other notebooks... Ben Myers