Is 1XRTT actually working well for anyone ?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 13, 2005 7:00:19 PM

I've used the Verizon data service on and off
a few times over the past couple of years,
with a VX4400 - mainly when my 'real' connection
drops out, to ssh back into my router to investigate.
QoS always seemed pretty bad, and in some locations
such as Chicago and the Salt Lake City airport
I had just utterly horrible QoS. Here at my home
it seemed ok though.

Anyway, I'm going on a trip soon where I plan to
use the 'phone for my main internet connectivity
(trip is to a place where there isn't much else
in the way of connectivity).

So I tried using the phone again to make sure
the drivers are working, and with my new PDA.

What I see is that no data call lasts for more than
a minute or two. Drop, drop, drop. And when the
session is up the packet loss is >50%.

I found this page :
http://www.wirelessnotes.org/verizon-and-express-networ...
It pretty much reflects my experiences trying to use
this service recently.

So, question: is the Verizon 1X service just normally
horribly unusably bad, and I should quit worrying.
Or, does anyone get it to work reliably ? (in which
case I will investigate whether my phone is faulty).

Thanks !

PS, is it possible that there is an evil plan by Verizon
to degrade users using the MOU plans ? Is it possible that
if I 'upgraded' to a specific data plan my problems would
go away ?

More about : 1xrtt working

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:50:51 PM

On 7/13/05 3:00 PM, in article
1121292019.316912.238900@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
"david.boreham@gmail.com" <david.boreham@gmail.com> wrote:7/13/05 3:00
PM7/13/05 3:00 PMdavid.boreham@gmail.com7/13/05 3:00 PM

> I've used the Verizon data service on and off
> a few times over the past couple of years,
> with a VX4400 - mainly when my 'real' connection
> drops out, to ssh back into my router to investigate.
> QoS always seemed pretty bad, and in some locations
> such as Chicago and the Salt Lake City airport
> I had just utterly horrible QoS. Here at my home
> it seemed ok though.
>
> Anyway, I'm going on a trip soon where I plan to
> use the 'phone for my main internet connectivity
> (trip is to a place where there isn't much else
> in the way of connectivity).
>
> So I tried using the phone again to make sure
> the drivers are working, and with my new PDA.
>
> What I see is that no data call lasts for more than
> a minute or two. Drop, drop, drop. And when the
> session is up the packet loss is >50%.
>
> I found this page :
> http://www.wirelessnotes.org/verizon-and-express-networ...
> It pretty much reflects my experiences trying to use
> this service recently.
>
> So, question: is the Verizon 1X service just normally
> horribly unusably bad, and I should quit worrying.
> Or, does anyone get it to work reliably ? (in which
> case I will investigate whether my phone is faulty).
>
> Thanks !
>
> PS, is it possible that there is an evil plan by Verizon
> to degrade users using the MOU plans ? Is it possible that
> if I 'upgraded' to a specific data plan my problems would
> go away ?

I don't think there's any "evil plan" by Verizon - in this area or any
other.

I'd look elsewhere, i.e., to your setup, phone, etc., for the problem. I've
used the 1X service with my Motorola v710 for almost two years in more than
two dozen cities all across the USA - without a hitch. Great to have when
broadband isn't readily available.....

PC
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:30:34 AM

<david.boreham@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've used the Verizon data service on and off
> a few times over the past couple of years,
> with a VX4400 - mainly when my 'real' connection
> drops out, to ssh back into my router to investigate.
> QoS always seemed pretty bad, and in some locations
> such as Chicago and the Salt Lake City airport
> I had just utterly horrible QoS. Here at my home
> it seemed ok though.
>
> Anyway, I'm going on a trip soon where I plan to
> use the 'phone for my main internet connectivity
> (trip is to a place where there isn't much else
> in the way of connectivity).
>
> So I tried using the phone again to make sure
> the drivers are working, and with my new PDA.
>
> What I see is that no data call lasts for more than
> a minute or two. Drop, drop, drop. And when the
> session is up the packet loss is >50%.
>
> I found this page :
> http://www.wirelessnotes.org/verizon-and-express-networ...
> It pretty much reflects my experiences trying to use
> this service recently.
>
> So, question: is the Verizon 1X service just normally
> horribly unusably bad, and I should quit worrying.
> Or, does anyone get it to work reliably ? (in which
> case I will investigate whether my phone is faulty).
>
> Thanks !
>
> PS, is it possible that there is an evil plan by Verizon
> to degrade users using the MOU plans ? Is it possible that
> if I 'upgraded' to a specific data plan my problems would
> go away ?

I've had very good results, first with a tethered T720 and then with an
Audiovox 5220 PC Card and now a Kyocera KPC650 PC Card in the Tampa Bay, FL
area on 1xRTT and then EV-DO. On a recent trip to Muncie, IN, however, I
found the service in Muncie to be iffy and slow. It was better in the
Indianapolis airport and the Memphis, TN airports on the way back. I just
missed the EV-DO rollout in Indianapolis.

Thomas M. Goethe
July 17, 2005 9:37:02 PM

david.boreham@gmail.com writes:
> I've used the Verizon data service on and off
> a few times over the past couple of years,
> with a VX4400 - mainly when my 'real' connection
> drops out, to ssh back into my router to investigate.

This is essentially the way I use it with my notebook and a Samsung a530.
Previously I made QNC connections with a StarTAC 7868W, and bought the
Samsung primarily for the 1XRTT capability.

> QoS always seemed pretty bad, and in some locations
> such as Chicago and the Salt Lake City airport
> I had just utterly horrible QoS. Here at my home
> it seemed ok though.

Depending on how you define QoS, mine has not been bad. Connections
are nearly always established very quickly. Raw throughput is decent.
Latency is high however, generally making shell login sessions by way
of ssh connections barely tolerable.

> What I see is that no data call lasts for more than
> a minute or two. Drop, drop, drop. And when the
> session is up the packet loss is >50%.

Don't know about the packet loss, but you could try running a continuous
ping in the background to keep the connection open.

> So, question: is the Verizon 1X service just normally
> horribly unusably bad, and I should quit worrying.
> Or, does anyone get it to work reliably ? (in which
> case I will investigate whether my phone is faulty).

Sounds to me like your hardware or your configuration are not right.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA
!