IBM Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2004 6:32:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Hello,

I was wanting to upgrade my IBM computer. Since overclocking is out of
the question, I was wondering if I could just replace the willamette
CPU with a Northwood P4A or P4B that is supported by Socket 478?
Please see my specs below for further info. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Model : 8311KDU

Chassis Type : Mini Tower
Chassis Serial Number : N/A
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Workstation (Build 2600)

Your Processor :

Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Pentium 4
Specification : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Manufacturer Codename : Willamette
Trace Width : 0.18
Clock Speed : 1794 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 18.0
Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 100 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 399 MHz
L2 Cache Size : 256 KBytes
Core Stepping : D0
Microcode Level : 3h
Mobile Clock Modulation : N/A

Your Motherboard :

Manufacturer : IBM
Model : IBM
Revision : N/A
CPU Slot/Socket Type : mPGA-478
Serial Number : N/A
Chipset Vendor : Intel
Chipset Model : i845G
Chipset Revision : A1
Bios Manufacturer : IBM
Bios Version : 24KT21AUS
Bios Date : 05/30/2002

Your Memory :

Used Slots : 2 of 2
Total Memory : 384 MB of DDR-SDRAM DIMM
Frequency : PC2100
CAS Latency : 2.5 clocks

More about : ibm upgrade

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2004 10:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On 13 Jul 2004 14:32:20 -0700, under_drive2002@yahoo.ca (underdrive)
wrote:
>I was wanting to upgrade my IBM computer. Since overclocking is out of
>the question, I was wondering if I could just replace the willamette
>CPU with a Northwood P4A or P4B that is supported by Socket 478?
>Please see my specs below for further info. Any help would be
>appreciated.
<snip>
>Your Motherboard :
>
>Manufacturer : IBM
>Model : IBM
>Revision : N/A
>CPU Slot/Socket Type : mPGA-478
>Serial Number : N/A
>Chipset Vendor : Intel
>Chipset Model : i845G
>Chipset Revision : A1
>Bios Manufacturer : IBM
>Bios Version : 24KT21AUS
>Bios Date : 05/30/2002

An i845G motherboard should most likely be capable of handling the
533MT/s bus speed P4 chips, possibly up to the 3.06GHz model. Of
course, only IBM knows for sure just how much of an upgrade this board
is capable of. You might want to try contacting IBM tech support to
see if they'll tell you what it will support. It's a kind of
hit-and-miss if they'll actually tell, but it's worth a shot.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2004 1:53:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

Looks like the board supports the 400 and 533 MHz FSB (front side bus)
Northwood CPUs, which include the 3.06 GHz model. (It won't support an 800
MHz FSB CPU, so avoid those.)

You may need to update the BIOS to the latest available version for
compatibility. The IBM site lists one from 6/17/2004.

A RAM upgrade might also be in order, if the machine has only 128 MB. I
recommend getting it from Crucial (www.crucial.com), if they do business in
Canada. You can probably be safe enough with generic DDR266 (= PC2100) 184
pin, unbuffered, non-ECC, DDR SDRAM though, or faster.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"underdrive" <under_drive2002@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was wanting to upgrade my IBM computer. Since overclocking is out of
> the question, I was wondering if I could just replace the willamette
> CPU with a Northwood P4A or P4B that is supported by Socket 478?
> Please see my specs below for further info. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Model : 8311KDU
>
> Chassis Type : Mini Tower
> Chassis Serial Number : N/A
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Workstation (Build 2600)
>

> Your Processor :
>
> Number Of Processors : 1
> Type : Intel Pentium 4
> Specification : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
> Manufacturer Codename : Willamette
> Trace Width : 0.18
> Clock Speed : 1794 MHz
> Clock Multiplier : 18.0
> Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 100 MHz
> Processors Bus Speed : 399 MHz
> L2 Cache Size : 256 KBytes
> Core Stepping : D0
> Microcode Level : 3h
> Mobile Clock Modulation : N/A
>

> Your Motherboard :
>
> Manufacturer : IBM
> Model : IBM
> Revision : N/A
> CPU Slot/Socket Type : mPGA-478
> Serial Number : N/A
> Chipset Vendor : Intel
> Chipset Model : i845G
> Chipset Revision : A1
> Bios Manufacturer : IBM
> Bios Version : 24KT21AUS
> Bios Date : 05/30/2002
>

> Your Memory :
>
> Used Slots : 2 of 2
> Total Memory : 384 MB of DDR-SDRAM DIMM
> Frequency : PC2100
> CAS Latency : 2.5 clocks
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2004 2:10:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

I obviously didn't read to the end of the post, where the machine is stated
to have 384 MB of PC2100 RAM. That's not so bad.

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...
>
> Looks like the board supports the 400 and 533 MHz FSB (front side bus)
> Northwood CPUs, which include the 3.06 GHz model. (It won't support an 800
> MHz FSB CPU, so avoid those.)
>
> You may need to update the BIOS to the latest available version for
> compatibility. The IBM site lists one from 6/17/2004.
>
> A RAM upgrade might also be in order, if the machine has only 128 MB. I
> recommend getting it from Crucial (www.crucial.com), if they do business
in
> Canada. You can probably be safe enough with generic DDR266 (= PC2100) 184
> pin, unbuffered, non-ECC, DDR SDRAM though, or faster.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bob Knowlden
>
> Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

(snip)
!