Building a Image Editing System...

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to put together a system geared towards editing large
files in Photoshop as well other graphic-based functions. I was hoping
for some input on the potential build which includes:

Processors:
Dual AMD Opteron Model 146, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processors

Motherboard:
TYAN "Thunder K8W

Memory:
6 GIGS of Crucial 400DDR.
Allocated as follows - 2 for Photoshop, 3 for RAMDISK for PS scratch
disk, and 1 FOR OS.

Hard Drives:
2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA in RAID 0 and a
Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm SATA for deep storage

DVD/CD ROM:
NEC 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive & Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo
Drive

Video Card:
ATI RADEON 9600XT

Power Supply:
Antec 480W

Questions:
1. Any recommended alterations to the above?
2. Is the 3 GIGS to RAMDISK for the PS scratch disk valuable move
since editing large files?
3. What other motherboard, without PCI-X, could be substituted for the
Thunder K8W? (Keeping in mind the amount of SATA drives (4), and the
amount of ram (6 sticks).)
4. Would it be beneficial to use socket 939 chips instead of 940.
5. What advantages, if any, would there be if an ATI 9800
(XT/PRO/ETC) is substituted for the 9600XT in a PS environment?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Scott
5 answers Last reply
More about building image editing system

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:01:24 -0700, Ashley wrote:

    > Questions:
    > 1. Any recommended alterations to the above?

    Sure! Would you adopt me? I could only afford a single 144 w/s2875s.

    > 2. Is the 3 GIGS to RAMDISK for the PS scratch disk valuable move
    > since editing large files?

    Why would you want a RAMDisk? ...using Win32X? You shouldn't need such
    an archaic thing, since your OS will page what it needs. I see no point
    in paging from RAM to RAM these days.

    > 3. What other motherboard, without PCI-X, could be substituted for the
    > Thunder K8W? (Keeping in mind the amount of SATA drives (4), and the
    > amount of ram (6 sticks).)

    If you have the money, IMO, you have the right system.

    > 4. Would it be beneficial to use socket 939 chips instead of 940.

    NO. Socket 940 is what you want. For a large memory system like that you
    really do want registered/ECC DIMMs. You're paying for a premium system,
    don't cheap out at the last minute.

    > 5. What advantages, if any, would there be if an ATI 9800 (XT/PRO/ETC)
    > is substituted for the 9600XT in a PS environment?

    No clue, though I'm not sure why you need a hot 3D card for what your
    intended application though.

    I'm also a little curious about your choice of disk drives. I'd think (no
    recent proof) that your application would be more sensitive to STR than
    latency. The "hot" disk drives really don' thave a better STR than the
    lesser drives, since semiconductor physics limits STR more than RPMs. I'd
    think *hard* about spending much-bux on marketing gizmos here.
    --
    Keith

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:01:24 -0700, Ashley wrote:

    > Processors:
    > Dual AMD Opteron Model 146, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processors

    Shouldn't they be 246s for SMP?

    Or maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:04:16 +1200, "AD." <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:01:24 -0700, Ashley wrote:
    >
    >> Processors:
    >> Dual AMD Opteron Model 146, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processors
    >
    >Shouldn't they be 246s for SMP?
    >
    >Or maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier :)
    >
    >Cheers
    >Anton

    Yep, 1xx is only for 1-ways.

    AMD Opteron™ Processor Model Numbers and Features Comparison
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_9240,00.html

    Ed

    Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote :

    > When the pros will pick a two year old Matrox
    > card over the latest ATI or nVidia cards, that is all the
    > reason I need to recommend Matrox to other video editors.

    two year old Matrox is fine, since Matrox is not making any money on
    it. I refuse to give any to a company claiming Linux support and
    failing to provide one. Old Matrox card is well reverse engineered and
    has feautees Matrox didnt know aboud (TVout with aceleration in DVDmax
    mode while X server on VGA monitor displaying independent picture - on
    G450).

    But parhelia is pathetic.

    > > 3 monitors ?
    >
    > For video editting, 2 monitors plus a TV works very well.
    >
    > Add a Matrox RT.x100 video editting card to your system
    > and you can have three monitors plus a TV.

    add cheap NV MX400 Dualhead PCI and good framegrabber and you get the
    same.

    Pozdrawiam.
    --
    RusH //
    http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

    You list 3 HD yet refer to 4 SATA HD unless I miss-ready.

    If this is for commercial editing with a deadline:
    o Why not use 4 Raptor drives in RAID 10
    o You get the benefit of Striping, but also reliability of Mirroring
    o Use a 3Ware 4-port SATA card, expensive I know

    Depends on the amount of time editing and original source.
    o RAID-0 is a cryptic joke where R-edundant is followed by a 0 :-)
    o So if you lose EITHER drive your whole data-set can be trash

    Losing a drive can be simply snapping an SATA connector off,
    it need not be a problem with the drive. Do remember they will
    need a bit of cooling - nothing remarkable but SOME cooling.

    The 74GB WD Raptor are a good drive, expensive but good.

    If commercial I would also want an UPS if you did just RAID-0.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury
    www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

CPUs