Newbie: Norton Personal Firewall makes my broadband connec..

I have Windows XP Home and Norton Personal Firewall. My
Internet-connection is 10 Mbit/s. Problem: When i run the firewall it
takes up to 30 sec to open an ordinary web-page that will open in 1-2
sec without the firewall. Should it be like that? What can be wrong?
Mats
6 answers Last reply
More about newbie norton personal firewall makes broadband connec

    Are you on a LAN as well?

    --

    Charlie

    - " Keepin' the Blues Alive "
    - 4 9 2 A c o u s t i c B l u e s
    www.492acousticblues.com
    www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=200514

    "Mats" <mats_rundkvist_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have Windows XP Home and Norton Personal Firewall. My
    > Internet-connection is 10 Mbit/s. Problem: When i run the firewall it
    > takes up to 30 sec to open an ordinary web-page that will open in 1-2
    > sec without the firewall. Should it be like that? What can be wrong?
    > Mats

    "Mats" <mats_rundkvist_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have Windows XP Home and Norton Personal Firewall. My
    > Internet-connection is 10 Mbit/s.

    10Meg Internet Connection!!? How much does that cost per month!

    JP

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world
    Those that understand binary and those that don't

    In article <16919883.0407062202.197c27cf@posting.google.com>,
    mats_rundkvist_1@hotmail.com says...
    > I have Windows XP Home and Norton Personal Firewall. My
    > Internet-connection is 10 Mbit/s. Problem: When i run the firewall it
    > takes up to 30 sec to open an ordinary web-page that will open in 1-2
    > sec without the firewall. Should it be like that? What can be wrong?
    > Mats

    Mat, a personal firewall will use CPU cycles in order to do it's work,
    the more work it does the slower your computer is going to be.

    Since you appear to have a DSL/Cable/Tx connection I would suggest that
    you purchase some form of Firewall or a cheap Router with NAT. These
    devices will block inbound traffic that you have not requested and, in
    essence, isolate your computer from the internet.

    The router acts as a border device, it's the first step in preventing
    unwanted things from accessing your computer, and it's a good way to
    keep track of what is going on with your internet connection - the
    Linksys units offer a logging feature that a chap has written a logging
    application for (WallWatcher) that makes it easy to see what is
    happening on your internet connection (both in and out bound traffic).

    Now, if your machine is really bogged down, it could be two things:

    1) Tons of inbound traffic hitting your computer
    2) #1 combined with your machine already being compromised.

    If you purchase a router and install it, the personal firewall should
    have little to do and your machine should return to it's previous
    performance level.

    If you do get the router and your firewall is still stealing your
    horsepower, then I would guess that your machine is compromised and it's
    time to format/wipe it and reinstall.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Any suggestions for a good router?

    No - this is at my home. I have only one computer and it is connected
    to the ISP via the landlords broadband network. And that of course
    could be regarded as a LAN.

    Mats

    In article <16919883.0407072145.24c41d55@posting.google.com>,
    mats_rundkvist_1@hotmail.com says...
    > No - this is at my home. I have only one computer and it is connected
    > to the ISP via the landlords broadband network. And that of course
    > could be regarded as a LAN.

    Well, that does indeed make you on a LAN, and it also makes you
    susceptible to what ever the landlord has happening on his PC.

    Again, from my pervious post, it appears as though you are getting a lot
    of traffic on your NIC and that your machine is going CPU starved to
    protect it.

    What is your firewall telling you - they don't eat up CPU cycles without
    giving you and indication of why.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Firewalls Broadband Norton Internet Connection Networking