Sign in with
Your question
Closed

"Your location has recently been accessed"

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 10, 2010 1:48:38 PM

Hey forum people!

I occasionally get a small icon that looks like a mini GPS in my taskbar & when I move my mouse over it, its says "your location has recently been accessed."

Does anyone know what this means? Am I being watched by big brother? (That's only half a joke.) On a similar note: Does anyone know how Google maps is able to pinpoint my exact location?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 (Build 7601) & connect to my university's internet (which uses a proxy) via wi-fi.

Best solution

a c 288 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2010 5:30:26 PM

Can you right-click on that icon and get more info? Usually you can get to a Help or About menu that will tell you what the program is. Since you are at school, could this be a LoJack type program that was installed on the laptop to keep track of it?
a c 230 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2010 5:41:06 PM

Can you determine what application/service this is in your Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del)? You might also be able to locate by running MSCONFIG.

When you setup your University's network config, did you install any provided apps from the school itself?

Last, I like the way hang-the-9 is thinking on this. Did your system (I assume this is a notebook) come with any security software (like LoJack) installed? I know that Dell offers this.
Related resources
November 11, 2010 4:34:44 AM

Ah OK, according to the log it was Google Desktop and my weather gadget accessing my zip code info!

Thanks for the insight guys!
November 11, 2010 4:35:23 AM

Best answer selected by south_valhalla.
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2010 6:09:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!