Closed Solved

"Your location has recently been accessed"

Hey forum people!

I occasionally get a small icon that looks like a mini GPS in my taskbar & when I move my mouse over it, its says "your location has recently been accessed."

Does anyone know what this means? Am I being watched by big brother? (That's only half a joke.) On a similar note: Does anyone know how Google maps is able to pinpoint my exact location?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 (Build 7601) & connect to my university's internet (which uses a proxy) via wi-fi.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about your location recently accessed
  1. Best answer
    Can you right-click on that icon and get more info? Usually you can get to a Help or About menu that will tell you what the program is. Since you are at school, could this be a LoJack type program that was installed on the laptop to keep track of it?
  2. Can you determine what application/service this is in your Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del)? You might also be able to locate by running MSCONFIG.

When you setup your University's network config, did you install any provided apps from the school itself?

Last, I like the way hang-the-9 is thinking on this. Did your system (I assume this is a notebook) come with any security software (like LoJack) installed? I know that Dell offers this.
  3. Ah OK, according to the log it was Google Desktop and my weather gadget accessing my zip code info!

Thanks for the insight guys!
  4. Best answer selected by south_valhalla.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7