AMD Sempron ships

Looks like AMD has taken the wraps off of its budget Sempron line a few days
early.

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3387051

There are two distinct lines of Semprons, several K7-based Socket A and a
K8-based Socket 754. The K8 Semprons have their 64-bit capabilities
disabled. The K7's range in performance from 2200+ to 2800+, while the K8 is
at 3100+.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M4CF229E8

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=132287&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=2&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1

Here's the benches:

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2139

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Are you the unofficial spokesman for AMD? Why is this posted to the Intel
site... just curious.

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> Looks like AMD has taken the wraps off of its budget Sempron line a few
days
> early.
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3387051
>
> There are two distinct lines of Semprons, several K7-based Socket A and a
> K8-based Socket 754. The K8 Semprons have their 64-bit capabilities
> disabled. The K7's range in performance from 2200+ to 2800+, while the K8
is
> at 3100+.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?M4CF229E8

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=132287&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=2&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1

> Here's the benches:
>
> http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2139
>
> Yousuf Khan
>
> --
> Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
> Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

keith

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:33:59 -0600, Judd wrote:

> Are you the unofficial spokesman for AMD?

Oh, good grief! Everyone with a brain is an AMD supporter!

> Why is this posted to the Intel site... just curious.

My my, somone has their panties in a twist! You don't consider AMD worthy
of talk in an Intel "Site" (I don't think CSI is supported by Intel, nor
is the Usenet a "site" of any reasonable description). OTOH, you might
just learn something from Mr. Khan (though I am stretching belief here).

....not to mention this is also posted to CSIPHC where all us Intel haters
hang out. ;-)

In short, you're nothing but a top-posting maroon!

--
Keith

"Keith" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:33:59 -0600, Judd wrote:
>
> > Are you the unofficial spokesman for AMD?
>
> Oh, good grief! Everyone with a brain is an AMD supporter!

Rah, rah, rah... go stick a sempron up your ass.

> > Why is this posted to the Intel site... just curious.
>
> My my, somone has their panties in a twist! You don't consider AMD worthy
> of talk in an Intel "Site" (I don't think CSI is supported by Intel, nor
> is the Usenet a "site" of any reasonable description). OTOH, you might
> just learn something from Mr. Khan (though I am stretching belief here).
>
> ...not to mention this is also posted to CSIPHC where all us Intel haters
> hang out. ;-)
>
> In short, you're nothing but a top-posting maroon!

What's a "maroon"? Webster says: " a dark red " and "a descendant of such
a slave".
Well, I may be a "maroon", but you are clearly a retard.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:34:40 -0400, Keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:33:59 -0600, Judd wrote:
>
>> Are you the unofficial spokesman for AMD?
>
>Oh, good grief! Everyone with a brain is an AMD supporter!
>
>> Why is this posted to the Intel site... just curious.
>
>My my, somone has their panties in a twist! You don't consider AMD worthy
>of talk in an Intel "Site" (I don't think CSI is supported by Intel, nor
>is the Usenet a "site" of any reasonable description). OTOH, you might
>just learn something from Mr. Khan (though I am stretching belief here).
>
>...not to mention this is also posted to CSIPHC where all us Intel haters
>hang out. ;-)
>
>In short, you're nothing but a top-posting maroon!

lmao! no prisoners taken here!

/daytripper (not that there's anything wrong with that ;-)

keith

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:44:55 +0000, daytripper wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:34:40 -0400, Keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:33:59 -0600, Judd wrote:
>>
>>> Are you the unofficial spokesman for AMD?
>>
>>Oh, good grief! Everyone with a brain is an AMD supporter!
>>
>>> Why is this posted to the Intel site... just curious.
>>
>>My my, somone has their panties in a twist! You don't consider AMD worthy
>>of talk in an Intel "Site" (I don't think CSI is supported by Intel, nor
>>is the Usenet a "site" of any reasonable description). OTOH, you might
>>just learn something from Mr. Khan (though I am stretching belief here).
>>
>>...not to mention this is also posted to CSIPHC where all us Intel haters
>>hang out. ;-)
>>
>>In short, you're nothing but a top-posting maroon!
>
> lmao! no prisoners taken here!

Uneducated combatants are supposed to be taken prisoner? Someone call
DonR!

> /daytripper (not that there's anything wrong with that ;-)

;-))

--
Keith

"Judd" <IhateSpam@stopspam.com> wrote in message

> > In short, you're nothing but a top-posting maroon!
>
> What's a "maroon"? Webster says: " a dark red " and "a descendant
of such
> a slave".
> Well, I may be a "maroon", but you are clearly a retard.

I'm addressing this to all 3 readers of comp.arch who aren't Bugs
Bunny cartoon fans. When Bugs wanted to denigrate the intelligence of
another cartoon character, he would **intend** to say "What a moron!"
but what actually came out (in the cartoon) would be "What a maroon!",
suggesting some ambiguity as to whose sagacity should be impugned. I
believe that this is the sense in which Keith was writing.

If you seriously want to challenge someone's intellectual dexterity, I
suggest sweetly inquiring if they rode the short bus to school. ;-)

The Intel haters and AMD lovers should post to that group rather than
flooding comp.sys.intel with propoganda. It's to the point now where you
can't talk nor get any information on Intel processors and architecture
without the constant bashing. There should be a
comp.religious.processor.wars or something more suitable for that stuff.

jk

It is not a matter of bashing, it is a matter of explaining to people
that they should research the alternatives first, then decide if an
Intel processor is a good choice. In most instances, an AMD
processor will provide better performance at each price point.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:49:45 GMT, "Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net> wrote:

>"Judd" <IhateSpam@stopspam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > In short, you're nothing but a top-posting maroon!
>>
>> What's a "maroon"? Webster says: " a dark red " and "a descendant
>of such
>> a slave".
>> Well, I may be a "maroon", but you are clearly a retard.
>
>I'm addressing this to all 3 readers of comp.arch who aren't Bugs
>Bunny cartoon fans. When Bugs wanted to denigrate the intelligence of
>another cartoon character, he would **intend** to say "What a moron!"
>but what actually came out (in the cartoon) would be "What a maroon!",
>suggesting some ambiguity as to whose sagacity should be impugned. I
>believe that this is the sense in which Keith was writing.
>
>If you seriously want to challenge someone's intellectual dexterity, I
>suggest sweetly inquiring if they rode the short bus to school. ;-)

Too cute by half.
My current fave:
"I don't know what your problem is, but I bet it's hard to spell"

;-)

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> It is not a matter of bashing, it is a matter of explaining to people
> that they should research the alternatives first, then decide if an
> Intel processor is a good choice. In most instances, an AMD
> processor will provide better performance at each price point.

No if we want to learn about AMD we can go research it. We don't need you
AMD lovers cramming it down our throats. If I want a space heater for I
computer I would have bought a AMD years ago. Now Intel has the prescotts
which are even better space heaters than the AMD's so once again Intel is
superior.

True I just want a computer so I will stick to my Northwood.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:51:22 GMT, "Lee Waun" <leewaun@telus.net> wrote:

>"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> It is not a matter of bashing, it is a matter of explaining to people
>> that they should research the alternatives first, then decide if an
>> Intel processor is a good choice. In most instances, an AMD
>> processor will provide better performance at each price point.
>>

>No if we want to learn about AMD we can go research it. We don't need you
>AMD lovers cramming it down our throats.
[flushed]

"We"?

Go play in traffic...

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:00:34 -0600, "Judd" <IhateSpam@stopspam.com> wrote:

>The Intel haters and AMD lovers should post to that group rather than
>flooding comp.sys.intel with propoganda. It's to the point now where you
>can't talk nor get any information on Intel processors and architecture
>without the constant bashing. There should be a
>comp.religious.processor.wars or something more suitable for that stuff.

I'm sure you can find an "Intel site", where you can conduct iSeances in
peace, if that's what you have in mind. As already pointed out to you,
this is Usenet, the comp.sys... hierarchy specifically. If Outlook
doesn't have an "ignore thread" feature, you could also consider using a
real newsreader.

Rgds, George Macdonald

wrote:
>If you seriously want to challenge someone's intellectual dexterity, I
>suggest sweetly inquiring if they rode the short bus to school. ;-)

But tha only works in perhaps only one culture/context no? At least
Bugs have got a bigger coverage :pppP

keith

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:51:22 +0000, Lee Waun wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> It is not a matter of bashing, it is a matter of explaining to people
>> that they should research the alternatives first, then decide if an
>> Intel processor is a good choice. In most instances, an AMD
>> processor will provide better performance at each price point.
>>

> No if we want to learn about AMD we can go research it. We don't need you
> AMD lovers cramming it down our throats. If I want a space heater for I
> computer I would have bought a AMD years ago. Now Intel has the prescotts
> which are even better space heaters than the AMD's so once again Intel is
> superior.

Ok, you're saying, "I'm stupid and wish to remain so"? Or more like, "my
mind is made up; don't confuse me with the facts"?

> True I just want a computer so I will stick to my Northwood.

You didn't research before you bought and now don't want to be told that
you made a mistake? Burry your head deeper. The world will ignore you.

--
Keith

keith

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:00:34 -0600, Judd wrote:

> The Intel haters and AMD lovers should post to that group rather than
> flooding comp.sys.intel with propoganda.

Fact <> propaganda. Propaganda is what you are left with when you
refuse to listen.

> It's to the point now where you
> can't talk nor get any information on Intel processors and architecture
> without the constant bashing. There should be a
> comp.religious.processor.wars or something more suitable for that stuff.

If you're that thin-skinned perhas the Usenet isn't for you? Or does it
depress you that much to know that you are what you claim others to be?

Maroon! ;-)

--
Keith

Keith wrote:

[...]

> > True I just want a computer so I will stick to my Northwood.
>
> You didn't research before you bought and now don't want to be told that
> you made a mistake? Burry your head deeper. The world will ignore you.

Not a mistake. The Northwood was quite a good choice everything considered.
The performance issue is not as clear cut as you seem to suggest, you can
probably find favourable benchmarks in both directions, depending on which
team you belong. I have also built using Northwoord, but belong to neither
team. Once the computer was completed, the processor type was not foremost
in my mind.

keith

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:33:37 +0000, Johannes H Andersen wrote:

> Keith wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>> > True I just want a computer so I will stick to my Northwood.
>>
>> You didn't research before you bought and now don't want to be told that
>> you made a mistake? Burry your head deeper. The world will ignore you.
>
> Not a mistake. The Northwood was quite a good choice everything considered.
> The performance issue is not as clear cut as you seem to suggest, you can
> probably find favourable benchmarks in both directions, depending on which
> team you belong.

You haven't been around here long, have you? Good grief! (as another
cartoon character, to be named later, once said)

> I have also built using Northwoord, but belong to neither team.

Now there is a laugh! ...and on many levels! ;-))

> Once the computer was completed, the processor type was not foremost
> in my mind.

Well, duh! You're saying that once you made your decisions youu
didn't look back? At least you make *some* sense.

--
Keith

Felger Carbon wrote:
> If you seriously want to challenge someone's intellectual dexterity, I
> suggest sweetly inquiring if they rode the short bus to school. ;-)

In Canada, all that means is did you ever go to kindergarten? The short
buses were for the littlest kids that went for only half a day.

Yousuf Khan

mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

wrote:

>The Intel haters and AMD lovers should post to that group rather than
>flooding comp.sys.intel with propoganda. It's to the point now where you
>can't talk nor get any information on Intel processors and architecture
>without the constant bashing. There should be a
>comp.religious.processor.wars or something more suitable for that stuff.

Ever heard of the 1st Amendment? If you don't like it, you are free
to go someplace like Cuba. Over there, neither INTC nor AMD is
superior, that definition is reserved for Fidel exclusively. Oh, by
the way, you'd be lucky to have just any CPU and 9.6k dialup over
there...

Keith wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:33:37 +0000, Johannes H Andersen wrote:
>

> > Keith wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> You didn't research before you bought and now don't want to be told that
> >> you made a mistake? Burry your head deeper. The world will ignore you.
> >
> > Not a mistake. The Northwood was quite a good choice everything considered.
> > The performance issue is not as clear cut as you seem to suggest, you can
> > probably find favourable benchmarks in both directions, depending on which
> > team you belong.
>
> You haven't been around here long, have you? Good grief! (as another
> cartoon character, to be named later, once said)
>
> > I have also built using Northwoord, but belong to neither team.
>
> Now there is a laugh! ...and on many levels! ;-))
>
> > Once the computer was completed, the processor type was not foremost
> > in my mind.
>
> Well, duh! You're saying that once you made your decisions youu
> didn't look back? At least you make *some* sense.
>
> --
> Keith

I know you're winding me up and it's stupid to answer your post. But what's
the big deal? Are the AMD light years ahead of the Intel Northwood at the
same affordable price? I doubt it. As I said, there are certainly arguments
and official benchmarks both ways - yes I said both ways. So far I've had
no problems with my Northwood system, not even minor niggles. It works and
I'm now getting on with interesting software projects. Have a nice day.

Lee Waun <leewaun@telus.net> wrote:
> No if we want to learn about AMD we can go research it. We don't need
> you AMD lovers cramming it down our throats. If I want a space heater
> for I computer I would have bought a AMD years ago. Now Intel has the
> prescotts which are even better space heaters than the AMD's so once
> again Intel is superior.

No, actually it's more like, historically comp.sys.intel was *never* just
about Intel. It was always about the architecture that Intel started. So
competing products that are compatible with Intel's products are on-topic.
When the group was originally started it seemed like a good idea to call it
"Intel", it seemed generic enough while being descriptive enough at the
time.

Similarly, a group called comp.sys.IBM.PC.hardware is not limited to the
discussion of IBM products, let alone IBM PC products. In fact, very little
IBM products discussions actually ever goes on in this group. Again, at the
time the group was created, it seemed like a good description, but that
market has evolved since then.

Yousuf Khan

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:33:37 +0000, Johannes H Andersen wrote:
>
> You haven't been around here long, have you? Good grief! (as
another
> cartoon character, to be named later, once said)

You're obviously referring to Amadeus Mozart Drobnik. Having failed
(despite his parents' expectations) as a professional musician, he
learned that there was a B-25 Mitchell twin-engine bomber stuck in the
side of the Empire State Building, a few floors beneith King Kong's
former perch. So he donned a colorful leotard-cap outfit, and rode
the elevator to the location of the stuck bomber.

Alas, while struggling heroically to displace the B-25, he slipped and
fell. The cape, a cheap Chinese knock-off, bore a label stating "If
cape fails to function properly, return to Pei Ping for free
replacement." Wouldn't you know it, the cape did malfunction in an
aerodynamic sense. Poor Drobnik.

[Sternly] Keith, you know better to bring up this Drobnik episode!
Obviously, AMD belongs in another newsgroup!

keith

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:10:54 +0000, Felger Carbon wrote:

> "Keith" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:33:37 +0000, Johannes H Andersen wrote:
>>
>> You haven't been around here long, have you? Good grief! (as
> another
>> cartoon character, to be named later, once said)
>
> You're obviously referring to Amadeus Mozart Drobnik.

Felger, you're always giving answers for free! Where's the fun in
teasing kidz when you soil the punch line? I doubt the kidz of today even
read Drobnik's strip in the Sunday comics. ...much less anything more
sophisticated.

> Having failed
> (despite his parents' expectations) as a professional musician, he
> learned that there was a B-25 Mitchell twin-engine bomber stuck in the
> side of the Empire State Building, a few floors beneith King Kong's
> former perch. So he donned a colorful leotard-cap outfit, and rode the
> elevator to the location of the stuck bomber.
>
> Alas, while struggling heroically to displace the B-25, he slipped and
> fell. The cape, a cheap Chinese knock-off, bore a label stating "If
> cape fails to function properly, return to Pei Ping for free
> replacement." Wouldn't you know it, the cape did malfunction in an
> aerodynamic sense. Poor Drobnik.

Felg! We all know how badly GWB has screwed up the economy by sending
cape manufacturing off-shore, but can you really blame the
Chi-Comms on the Mitchell's navigation system too? <oops, that was
Clinton that sold the INS stuff>

> [Sternly] Keith, you know better to bring up this Drobnik episode!
> Obviously, AMD belongs in another newsgroup!

comp.sys.alternate.reality?

--
Keith

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:09:14 GMT, Johannes H Andersen
<johs@nsaeccueuesizefitterwruovweswernuao.com> wrote:
>> Everything considered? Did you consider a 64 bit OS and 64 bit software????
>
>No I didn't. I can't afford to buy new OS and new 64 bit compilers which will
>cost a fortune, so I stick to what I've got at the moment, and it does the job
>to everybody's satisfaction

<Tony dons his flame-proof suit>

Well the obviously answer here is that you should be running Linux and
using the free GCC compiler! :>

Tony Hill