Can't get into bions on my IBM Thinkpad 2621-427

Hi

I have an old IBM ThinkPad 2621-427 that where I can't get into this
computer Bios.
In my manuel and on the net it says that I have to push F1 when I see
the Thinkpad logo on startup.
I don't get the startup logo, but I only get the menu where i can
choose between windows xp and 2000.
I can't remember my windows codes becouse I have not used this
computer for one year or maby more.

I will now install windows on it once again but my computer does not
boot on the cd-rom drive. I will have to go into the bios to set that.
My problem is that I never get the option to go into the bios when I
start up.

This is what I have tryed so far.
Boot the computer and try to pres F1. I have also tryed on difered
times.
Turn the computer on whit F1 button down.
Turn the computer on whit a boot disk in it, and whis a non boot disk.
It dosent book on the disk either.
Try to press a lot of button's when I turn it on to make an error or
even better a keybord error.
Tryed whis linux book disk and boot cd.
Tryed whit a rescue disk.
Tryed to book on a USB disk.
Tryed to see if I can make a network boot.
Tryed to remember my password for the last year.
Tryed to boot in safe mode (XP and 2000).
Tryed to boot in safe mode whit command promt (but i need the password
there to).
Tryede to change memory size but take some ram out and start the
computer op again.
Byed some more memory (pc100 144pin), hard to find that old memory
type, but the bios did accept it.
Have spend hours on google, deja and IBM. I have tryed F8,
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Ctrl-Alt-Insert and a lot of other things that I did
find on the net.

I have tryed every think that could find on the net.

I have tryed to open the computer to find the bettery and take it out,
but I can't open it, I have tryed a lot but no luck.

Do some om you have any ide of what I can try now?

Tanks
Nenad

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:44:55 +0200, Nenad Dragic
<newsgroup@dragic.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have an old IBM ThinkPad 2621-427 that where I can't get into this
>computer Bios.

>Turn the computer on whit F1 button down.

You need to hold down F1 and keep it down while switching on the
system. Continue to hold it down until the BIOS set-up screen appears.
This could take 45 seconds or more with an old system with lots of RAM
doing a full memory check. Forget using the boot disk: that only
worked when using a special BIOS set-up program with some ancient PS/2
systems. To the best of my knowledge, holding down F1 while doing a
cold boot is what works with all ThinkPads.

- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only

"Nenad Dragic" <newsgroup@dragic.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have an old IBM ThinkPad 2621-427 that where I can't get into this
> computer Bios.
> In my manuel and on the net it says that I have to push F1 when I see
> the Thinkpad logo on startup.
> I don't get the startup logo, but I only get the menu where i can
> choose between windows xp and 2000.
> I can't remember my windows codes becouse I have not used this
> computer for one year or maby more.
>
> I will now install windows on it once again but my computer does not
> boot on the cd-rom drive. I will have to go into the bios to set that.
> My problem is that I never get the option to go into the bios when I
> start up.
>
> This is what I have tryed so far.
[SNIP]

You've listed a whole bunch of things you've tried but I can't find a single
place where you say what happens when these things don't work.

Does the computer currently boot Windows?

If you have a bootable MS-DOS floppy disk, what happens when you turn the
computer on with it in the drive? Does it still boot Windows? If so, then
your BIOS is set to boot first from C: (HD). This means that there's no way
to get a boot disk to take over from the current OS.

The simplest thing you can do is to replace the HD and create a fresh
installation.

If you have a NIC in the laptop, you might be able to connect from another
computer and do something with the files on the HD that will make windows
unbootable to force the BIOS to look beyond the HD.

The next simplest thing I can think of is eBay. Buy a new old computer --
they're not that expensive.

Norm

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:39:34 GMT, "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net>
wrote:

>"Nenad Dragic" <newsgroup@dragic.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have an old IBM ThinkPad 2621-427 that where I can't get into this
>> computer Bios.
>> In my manuel and on the net it says that I have to push F1 when I see
>> the Thinkpad logo on startup.
>> I don't get the startup logo, but I only get the menu where i can
>> choose between windows xp and 2000.

If you or somebody turned off the logo display, then just press F1
when you see the POST screen doing its memory count and stuff. Or just
keep banging at the F1 key after you power on :ppPPP

>You need to hold down F1 and keep it down while switching on the
>system. Continue to hold it down until the BIOS set-up screen appears.
>This could take 45 seconds or more with an old system with lots of RAM
>doing a full memory check. Forget using the boot disk: that only
>worked when using a special BIOS set-up program with some ancient PS/2
>systems. To the best of my knowledge, holding down F1 while doing a
>cold boot is what works with all ThinkPads.

Hi

I have found the soulution. I had to take out the cmos batery and then
start my computer whit out the cmos batery...

Have a nice evning
Nenad