WIRELESS LAPTOP NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I bought a wireless laptop several months ago with Windows 7. The problems have been very frustrating. However, since I added another Windows XP wired laptop, it will not go wireless anymore. HELP! I see this is a very common problem, but what is the solution?

Solution
Your HP laptop should have a physical switch wih an orange/blue light indicationg ON OFF. IF it is always orange no mattter wich position you put the switch then that means 1 of 2 things. 1 the driver is not installed. If you look and can't find the wirelless adapter anywhere in the device manager tthen then it's number 2.
Your mother board is bad. Specificly the mini pci express slot tha the internal adapter plugs into. This is an huge problem with HP laptops. What the people on he phone WON"T EVER tell you is that there is an extended warrenty for this issue. Up to 2 years from when you bought it. BUT you have to tell them you know about it and demand it then they will begrudingly honor it. I've done this probably 50 times now in the...

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Thank you for the advice. I'll try it. I hope it works. You have no idea how many weekends I've spent trying to correct this. I've talked with techs from Windows, HP, it's crazy! I really don't know why Windows hasn't fixed this because it's very very common and very very frustrating!

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Honestly, I think I've tried everything. The connection issue is obviously a problem with Windows 7. Hewlett Packard's technicians just strung me along for a year, insisting that I renew my warranty when they wouldn't even focus on the issue at hand. Two days after the warranty expired, they now tell me I should have sent it in for repairs. I have my cable/internet provider coming by tonight. Hopefully, they can help out.

If you look in the forums, there are thousands of people out there with the same problems!

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Thanks, Brett M., but this didn't help. I honestly think it's a faulty computer...a lemon.

Thanks, but not one thing has worked. HP will not do anything to fix the problem either. That was a total waste of money. It's sad.

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Did you try to reset your router? Or factory reset it? How about re installing your laptop wifi driver? Also what exactly is the problem...can't connect to wifi router or can't access the internet?

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

I've just had problems since I purchased the laptop for a Christmas present last year. I threw one router away, thinking it was the router. I've reloaded Windows; I've disabled the wifi router on the laptop and enabled it again, redownloaded all of the drivers. I even had Bresnan (my internet provider) out to the house to make sure all connections were correct. The wireless on the computer will not go wireless. If I can get it to connect, it's so slow, it's not worth using. It usually will time out. Therefore, we are stuck using it "wired". It will work this way. I truly believe the laptop is a "lemon". HP will not admit that, though.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Your HP laptop should have a physical switch wih an orange/blue light indicationg ON OFF. IF it is always orange no mattter wich position you put the switch then that means 1 of 2 things. 1 the driver is not installed. If you look and can't find the wirelless adapter anywhere in the device manager tthen then it's number 2.
Your mother board is bad. Specificly the mini pci express slot tha the internal adapter plugs into. This is an huge problem with HP laptops. What the people on he phone WON"T EVER tell you is that there is an extended warrenty for this issue. Up to 2 years from when you bought it. BUT you have to tell them you know about it and demand it then they will begrudingly honor it. I've done this probably 50 times now in the last year. HP laptop have a 30% TOTAL failure rate. That not including these kinds of breakdowns. Toms publised that stat. I personaly perfer dell and asus. Delloutlet.com gives you like new laptop with full warrantys and mostt stuff is at least 50% cheaper than new or more.

Solution

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Thank you very much. I didn't realize they had a two-year warranty. The orange/blue light does work so I'm thinking it's the motherboard. I can't tell you how much time I have spent trying to correct this problem. The weekends I've spent with Tech support; reinstalling drives; reinstalling the entire Windows 7; it's been crazy. I'm calling HP when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much again!

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Hello, again. So...after getting your message, I contacted Hewlett Packard about the 2 year warranty. Oh, did we go round and round. Somehow, they have no record of me ever calling prior to the warranty running out. I had some of the emails at work so I'll be calling them back today (as proof). I was put on hold for long periods of time (I assume so that the tech could get advice from his supervisor, as I was in my own right demanding to know more about the "two year" warranty). They didn't seem too surprised about it being a bad motherboard. So, as the weekend went on, I logged on to my laptop and received a brown screen with extra large icons; it doesn't recognize login i.d.'s or a drive period. YOU WERE CORRECT. MY COMPUTER CRASHED over the weekend :-( I hope more people are aware of this; it's very very sad.

Thanks again for your help!

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Good grief what a pain. It usually takes a while to get them to admit about the extended year but never that long. What a nightmare. Sorry to hear that it crashed so soon on you that sucks. But if you've been good hopefully Santa will bring you a new one!!! Also one more tip. Hp is part of a MASSIVE recall. It's for the video cards overheating and breaking the M/B. I bet your laptop is on the list of recalled laptops. Here is the link about it on toms:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-failure-g84-g86-settlement,11400.html

I believe to fix this they put in new motherboards because the video card is integrated. so then you might get your laptop repaired anyway despite the crappy support you've dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.