[kerio] "TCP ack packet attack"

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Does anyone know what this entry in the log means? My guess is it's just
due to a misconfigured rule or something, but the word "attack" concerns
me. Thanks in advance.

"Rule 'TCP ack packet attack': Blocked: In TCP,
127.0.0.1:80->localhost:1476, Owner: no owner"

Its garbage, just go back into the administration, and the on the
miscellaneous tab uncheck 'log sucpicious packets'. Its not an attack, and
whoever called it an attack at Kerio was a moron.

"anon" <anon@anonn.com> wrote in message news:2l4as6F88qn0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Does anyone know what this entry in the log means? My guess is it's just
> due to a misconfigured rule or something, but the word "attack" concerns
> me. Thanks in advance.
>
> "Rule 'TCP ack packet attack': Blocked: In TCP,
> 127.0.0.1:80->localhost:1476, Owner: no owner"

I remembered they were logging garbage, here is comment someone else posted on
a web forum

"A 'ack packet attack' is not an attack. Ack packets ACKnowledge something was
received, and are a part of normal traffic. However they have been used as
part of stealth tests.

Now the reason your firewall is showing them is these packets have been timed
out, basically the service stopped listening for some reason, and its still
receiving these acknowledgement packets.

So open your Administration, click advanced, misc tab, uncheck 'log suspicious
packets', and get on with your day as that setting logs 95% garbage, not so
called 'attacks'."