AMD to demonstrate dual-core chips

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

AMD to demonstrate dual-core chips
By Michael Kanellos CNET News.com
August 30, 2004, 9:00 PM PT

Aiming to deflate archrival Intel, Advanced Micro Devices this week will
show off its dual-core chips, which will start to trickle out toward the
middle of next year.

AMD on Tuesday will show off a Hewlett-Packard ProLiant server with four
dual-core Opteron chips at a facility in Austen, Texas, bringing the
functional number of chips in four-processor servers to eight.

more...
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5330737.html
6 answers Last reply
More about demonstrate dual core chips
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Bitstring <9bg9j05slc97e5gnlcnp5n4sag59sjlr8a@4ax.com>, from the
    wonderful person Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> said
    <snip>
    >Good news for me as well, since I'm hoping to hold out on my next
    >major desktop upgrade until I can drop a dual-core processor into a
    >commodity motherboard for a reasonable price.

    Please form an orderly queue (behind me). I've been gritting my teeth
    waiting for that for about 6 months already. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Ed wrote:

    > AMD to demonstrate dual-core chips
    > By Michael Kanellos CNET News.com
    > August 30, 2004, 9:00 PM PT
    >
    > Aiming to deflate archrival Intel, Advanced Micro Devices this week will
    > show off its dual-core chips, which will start to trickle out toward the
    > middle of next year.
    >
    > AMD on Tuesday will show off a Hewlett-Packard ProLiant server with four
    > dual-core Opteron chips at a facility in Austen, Texas, bringing the
    > functional number of chips in four-processor servers to eight.
    >
    > more...
    > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5330737.html

    WOT???
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    jack wrote:
    > What you have to say is all fine and dandy, but does **nothing** to
    > alleviate my fears of VIA chipsets and their [almost] legendary
    > ability to produce what I affectionately call "Bug-sets." Nuff
    > said.

    Don't worry, most of the servers use the AMD 8000-series chipset. Nvidia is
    also said to be producing an Nforce specifically geared towards servers. And
    Serverworks is also bringing out a chipset. Once Nvidia and Serverworks are
    abord, I think the AMD 8000's will slowly disappear (except in the case of
    ULi, which produces a clone of the 8000 under license).

    Yousuf Khan
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:28:01 -0400, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >Good news for me as well, since I'm hoping to hold out on my next
    >major desktop upgrade until I can drop a dual-core processor into a
    >commodity motherboard for a reasonable price. Previously I had
    >figured that I would have to wait until 2006 before this would be a
    >reality, not believing the previous release dates. However maybe AMD
    >really will make their mid-2005 schedule?
    >
    >-------------
    >Tony Hill

    Well for now all we can do is look at pictures. ;p
    http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=55&page=2

    Ed
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Tony Hill wrote:
    > That's the beauty of AMD's dual-core Opterons, they are fully
    > compatible with any Socket 940 motherboard as long as it can manage
    > the regular (single-core) 90nm Opterons. Given that most (all?)
    > Opteron boards being built today are capable of handling these 90nm
    > Opterons, finding a compatible board should be very easy.
    >
    > If you read about the demo you'll notice that they were able to drop 4
    > dual-core Opterons into a plain old HP DL585 server with only a BIOS
    > update. No special hardware required at all!

    Now the speculation begins about what Intel is going to counter that with at
    its IDF:

    http://news.com.com/Dual+cores+to+lead+Intel+show/2100-1006_3-5343262.html?tag=html.alert

    People are now openly saying that if Intel demos a dual-core Itanium instead
    of a Pentium/Xeon, then chances are likely that there will be
    disappointment. The Itanium dual-core has been in development a lot longer
    than any dual-core x86. I fully expect a dual-core Itanium, but I'll be
    shocked as hell if they have a dual-core x86 there too.

    Yousuf Khan
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Yup, me too :¬)

    This list gets longer and longer... hurry up AMD!! (Pretty please?)

    John

CPUs Hardware AMD Dual Core Product