AMD to demonstrate dual-core chips

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

AMD to demonstrate dual-core chips
By Michael Kanellos CNET News.com
August 30, 2004, 9:00 PM PT

Aiming to deflate archrival Intel, Advanced Micro Devices this week will
show off its dual-core chips, which will start to trickle out toward the
middle of next year.

AMD on Tuesday will show off a Hewlett-Packard ProLiant server with four
dual-core Opteron chips at a facility in Austen, Texas, bringing the
functional number of chips in four-processor servers to eight.

more...
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5330737.html

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Bitstring <9bg9j05slc97e5gnlcnp5n4sag59sjlr8a@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> said
<snip>
>Good news for me as well, since I'm hoping to hold out on my next
>major desktop upgrade until I can drop a dual-core processor into a
>commodity motherboard for a reasonable price.

Please form an orderly queue (behind me). I've been gritting my teeth
waiting for that for about 6 months already. 8>.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Ed wrote:

> AMD to demonstrate dual-core chips
> By Michael Kanellos CNET News.com
> August 30, 2004, 9:00 PM PT
>
> Aiming to deflate archrival Intel, Advanced Micro Devices this week will
> show off its dual-core chips, which will start to trickle out toward the
> middle of next year.
>
> AMD on Tuesday will show off a Hewlett-Packard ProLiant server with four
> dual-core Opteron chips at a facility in Austen, Texas, bringing the
> functional number of chips in four-processor servers to eight.
>
> more...
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5330737.html

WOT???

jack wrote:
> What you have to say is all fine and dandy, but does **nothing** to
> alleviate my fears of VIA chipsets and their [almost] legendary
> ability to produce what I affectionately call "Bug-sets." Nuff
> said.

Don't worry, most of the servers use the AMD 8000-series chipset. Nvidia is
also said to be producing an Nforce specifically geared towards servers. And
Serverworks is also bringing out a chipset. Once Nvidia and Serverworks are
abord, I think the AMD 8000's will slowly disappear (except in the case of
ULi, which produces a clone of the 8000 under license).

Yousuf Khan

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:28:01 -0400, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Good news for me as well, since I'm hoping to hold out on my next
>major desktop upgrade until I can drop a dual-core processor into a
>commodity motherboard for a reasonable price. Previously I had
>figured that I would have to wait until 2006 before this would be a
>reality, not believing the previous release dates. However maybe AMD
>really will make their mid-2005 schedule?
>
>-------------
>Tony Hill

Well for now all we can do is look at pictures. ;p
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=55&page=2

Tony Hill wrote:
> That's the beauty of AMD's dual-core Opterons, they are fully
> compatible with any Socket 940 motherboard as long as it can manage
> the regular (single-core) 90nm Opterons. Given that most (all?)
> Opteron boards being built today are capable of handling these 90nm
> Opterons, finding a compatible board should be very easy.
>
> If you read about the demo you'll notice that they were able to drop 4
> dual-core Opterons into a plain old HP DL585 server with only a BIOS
> update. No special hardware required at all!

Now the speculation begins about what Intel is going to counter that with at
its IDF:

http://news.com.com/Dual+cores+to+lead+Intel+show/2100-1006_3-5343262.html?tag=html.alert

People are now openly saying that if Intel demos a dual-core Itanium instead
of a Pentium/Xeon, then chances are likely that there will be
disappointment. The Itanium dual-core has been in development a lot longer
than any dual-core x86. I fully expect a dual-core Itanium, but I'll be
shocked as hell if they have a dual-core x86 there too.

Yousuf Khan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Yup, me too :¬)

This list gets longer and longer... hurry up AMD!! (Pretty please?)

John

TRENDING THREADS