[Q] DDR Ram ...."Pass data on both the rising edge and fal..

redbrick

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand this
concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving at the
same time can double the performance of memory...but what exactly is the
rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for refreshing memory?
I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As opposed to????

Thanks...

Redbrick...who Loves his CLK

redbrick@fastermail.com (redbrick) writes:

> What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand this
> concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving at the
> same time can double the performance of memory...but what exactly is the
> rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for refreshing memory?
> I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As opposed to????

Single Data Rate (SDR) looks like this:

____ ____ ____ ____
Clk ____/ \____/ \____/ \____/ \___
_____ _________ _________ _________ _______
Data _____X_________X_________X_________X_______

Ie, there is one transfer of data (usually on the rising edge of Clk)
per clock cycle.

Double Data Rate (DDR) looks like this:

____ ____ ____ ____
Clk ____/ \____/ \____/ \____/ \___
_____ ____ _____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ _
Data _____X____X_____X____X____X____X____X____X_

Since data is transfered on both the rising and falling edge of the
clock, you transfer twice as much data. Hence, Double Data Rate.

HTH,

Kai

redbrick

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Thanks for the lesson.

Redbrick..who Loves his CLK

In article <3UA_c.17049$8W4.494@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>,
redbrick@fastermail.com says...

redbrick a écrit :

> What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand this
> concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving at the
> same time can double the performance of memory...but what exactly is the
> rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for refreshing memory?
> I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As opposed to????
>

> Thanks...
>
> Redbrick...who Loves his CLK

Hi !

All electronic chips use a clock to work with others chips.
With SDR, the RAM can be accessed only when the clock signal is on the
top (the clock signal is a square signal :

Top
******* *******
* * *
* * *
* *******
bottom
).

With DDR the RAM is read one time at the TOP signal and one time at the
bottom, so it doubles the throughput.

Replace top with rising edge and bottom with falling edge and that's it.

> I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?'

Since the voltage must go down to be able to go up again, engineers figured
that they could use both rise AND fall of the voltage for timing because
both events are detectable.

> As opposed to????

Nothing, there is no substitute, in SDR memory only rising edge is used for
timing.

redbrick wrote:
> What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand
> this concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving
> at the same time can double the performance of memory...but what
> exactly is the rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for
> refreshing memory? I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As
> opposed to????

The "edge" refers to the electrical signal waveform that goes into the
electronic circuitry. It looks like a series of zipper teeth -- sharply up,
and sharply down. Usually most clock events are triggered by either the
leading edge (when the voltage is rising) or on the trailing edge (when the
voltage is falling). When both the leading and trailing edges cause a clock
event, then you have a DDR.

Yousuf Khan

keith

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:31:34 +0000, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> redbrick wrote:
>> What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand
>> this concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving
>> at the same time can double the performance of memory...but what
>> exactly is the rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for
>> refreshing memory? I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As
>> opposed to????
>
> The "edge" refers to the electrical signal waveform that goes into the
> electronic circuitry. It looks like a series of zipper teeth -- sharply up,
> and sharply down.

Well...

- One doesn't really like the "bumps" of a zipper in the *transisitons*

- One really should be careful with zipper teeth, particularly with the
"sharply up" motion.

> Usually most clock events are triggered by either the
> leading edge (when the voltage is rising)

*Transition* from low to high.

> or on the trailing edge (when
> the voltage is falling). When both the leading and trailing edges cause
> a clock event, then you have a DDR.
^^^^^^^^^^^
data event

--
Keith

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:58:56 GMT, redbrick@fastermail.com (redbrick) wrote:

>In article <3UA_c.17049$8W4.494@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>,
>redbrick@fastermail.com says...
>>
>>What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand this
>>concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving at the
>>same time can double the performance of memory...but what exactly is the
>>rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for refreshing memory?
>>I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As opposed to????
>>

>>Thanks...
>>
>>Redbrick...who Loves his CLK
>>
>Thanks for the lesson.

Here's two more:
- never reply to your own post. it's unseemly.
- don't top post. it's unruly.

>Redbrick..who Loves his CLK

Well, it is indeed a brick - but is it red?

/daytripper (S4, dines on CLKs and other posers ;-)

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:26:48 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:31:34 +0000, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> redbrick wrote:
>>> What exactly does this phrase mean? I'm just trying to understand
>>> this concept... I think I can understand how passing and recieving
>>> at the same time can double the performance of memory...but what
>>> exactly is the rising and falling edge? Is this just a jargon for
>>> refreshing memory? I'm a bit behind on this... Why 'edge?' As
>>> opposed to????
>>
>> The "edge" refers to the electrical signal waveform that goes into the
>> electronic circuitry. It looks like a series of zipper teeth -- sharply up,
>> and sharply down.
>
>Well...
>
> - One doesn't really like the "bumps" of a zipper in the *transisitons*
>
> - One really should be careful with zipper teeth, particularly with the
> "sharply up" motion.
>
>> Usually most clock events are triggered by either the
>> leading edge (when the voltage is rising)
>
>*Transition* from low to high.
>
>> or on the trailing edge (when
>> the voltage is falling). When both the leading and trailing edges cause
>> a clock event, then you have a DDR.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> data event

Rising, falling? It's a differential clock y'all are talking about!

/daytripper (listening to all the popping aneurysms ;-)

keith

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:40:35 +0000, daytripper wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:26:48 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>>> The "edge" refers to the electrical signal waveform that goes into the
>>> electronic circuitry. It looks like a series of zipper teeth -- sharply up,
>>> and sharply down.
>>
>>Well...
>>
>> - One doesn't really like the "bumps" of a zipper in the *transisitons*
>>
>> - One really should be careful with zipper teeth, particularly with the
>> "sharply up" motion.
>>
>>> Usually most clock events are triggered by either the
>>> leading edge (when the voltage is rising)
>>
>>*Transition* from low to high.
>>
>>> or on the trailing edge (when
>>> the voltage is falling). When both the leading and trailing edges cause
>>> a clock event, then you have a DDR.
>> data event
>
> Rising, falling? It's a differential clock y'all are talking about!

True, makes no difference to me, neither. ;-) ...but watch them fast
rising zippers! Monica, et. al. had rather the opposite problem though.

--
Keith