A question about Ramdisk

Using Win 2K with an AMD 2000+ processor, I gig of ram, and my
pagefile.sys set for 1024k (1 gig). I use Ulead Video Studio 6
for editing video's as it came with my capture card. The problem
is that it always swaps to the HD and this is slow.

I bought a WD 10K rpm sata HD to help speed things up, but I would
like to have a swap file in memory as it would be a lot faster. Or are
there any free programs that you can edit videos with that do not
always use the HD when I have enough physical memory for the
application.

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about question ramdisk

    In article <vd6nj0dkhdkimsqishb123gsrlt9cpuabf@4ax.com>,
    <Noname@Akdnvrt.net> wrote:

    >Using Win 2K with an AMD 2000+ processor, I gig of ram, and my
    >pagefile.sys set for 1024k (1 gig). I use Ulead Video Studio 6
    >for editing video's as it came with my capture card. The problem
    >is that it always swaps to the HD and this is slow.
    >
    >I bought a WD 10K rpm sata HD to help speed things up, but I would
    >like to have a swap file in memory as it would be a lot faster. Or are
    >there any free programs that you can edit videos with that do not
    >always use the HD when I have enough physical memory for the
    >application.
    >
    >TIA

    How do you know it's "always" swapping ?

    What does task manager tell you about how you're using
    memory ?

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    On 5 Sep 2004 19:24:19 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <vd6nj0dkhdkimsqishb123gsrlt9cpuabf@4ax.com>,
    > <Noname@Akdnvrt.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>Using Win 2K with an AMD 2000+ processor, I gig of ram, and my
    >>pagefile.sys set for 1024k (1 gig). I use Ulead Video Studio 6
    >>for editing video's as it came with my capture card. The problem
    >>is that it always swaps to the HD and this is slow.
    >>
    >>I bought a WD 10K rpm sata HD to help speed things up, but I would
    >>like to have a swap file in memory as it would be a lot faster. Or are
    >>there any free programs that you can edit videos with that do not
    >>always use the HD when I have enough physical memory for the
    >>application.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >
    >How do you know it's "always" swapping ?

    If I skip ahead or back 15 - 20 seconds, everything comes to a screeching halt,
    and the HD light churns for 10 - 20 seconds. I only use a file size of ~
    102,000 KB.

    >What does task manager tell you about how you're using
    >memory ?

    Physical memory:
    Total 1048048
    Available 805125
    System Cache 857548

    I can understand if I was using a large file, or maybe it is a limitation of
    the software as it was free ?

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:05:43 -0700, Noname@Akdnvrt.net wrote:

    >Using Win 2K with an AMD 2000+ processor, I gig of ram, and my
    >pagefile.sys set for 1024k (1 gig). I use Ulead Video Studio 6
    >for editing video's as it came with my capture card. The problem
    >is that it always swaps to the HD and this is slow.
    >
    >I bought a WD 10K rpm sata HD to help speed things up, but I would
    >like to have a swap file in memory as it would be a lot faster. Or are
    >there any free programs that you can edit videos with that do not
    >always use the HD when I have enough physical memory for the
    >application.

    If you are already swapping because your application is using up all of
    available memory, why would taking memory away from an application make it
    swap any less?

    /daytripper (hint: it'd just make things worse...)

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:05:43 -0700, Noname@Akdnvrt.net wrote:

    >I bought a WD 10K rpm sata HD to help speed things up, but I would
    >like to have a swap file in memory as it would be a lot faster. Or are
    >there any free programs that you can edit videos with that do not
    >always use the HD when I have enough physical memory for the
    >application.

    Maybe you don't have enough physical memory? If the 102MB file size
    you are refering to is the AVI/MPEG file, don't forget it becomes a
    whole lot bigger when you're editing it. The program itself uses
    memory, Windows uses memory, so it's unlikely you have anything more
    than say 700MB for the editing. I hit the swap while editing Photoshop
    files on a 768MB machine so I don't think it's surprising if you hit
    the swap doing video editing :P

    Trying to make a RAM based swap disk almost never helps since whatever
    memory size you give to the swap disk will be taken away from the
    application, which means it simply hits the memory swap disk earlier.
    And think about what happens when your ram disk doesn't have enough
    space for what's needed :P

CPUs Video