Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel price hikes coming?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2004 10:35:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

These are just some rumours from some stock talk groups and other sites, but
if they're true, they will obviously necessitate readjusting your next
computer buying decisions:

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stocktalk/msg.gsp?msgid=...

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1096/

With, Intel's recent announcement that it's not going to be able to make its
previously predicted revenues for this quarter, it would seem that
microprocessor prices are a little too unstainably low for it. So it looks
like it's trying to sneak in some price hikes. It used to be able to lower
prices in some segments and subsidize them with its other product lines, but
it doesn't look like those days are going to return anymore. I guess it's
decided to simply call a truce with AMD (for the time being) and make some
money instead.

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)
September 7, 2004 5:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Intel raising prices would be interesting. I guess they figure AMD doesn't
have that much inventory in the channel, and has only so much productive
capacity. AMD is moving production to 90nm, however it seems like this
90nm production will at least initially be mobile A64, low power Opteron,
and higher end Athlon 64 chips(3800+ and above). Since Intel can't
effectively compete against AMD's 64 bit mobile processors and the
Athlon 64 3800+ and 4000+, as well as AMD's low power server chips, I
Intel could probably start firming prices on the Celeron D and Pentium 4
chips 3.2 ghz and below. That strategy might be effective before AMD
gets a chance to start selling the 90nm Sempron (Athlon 64 with half the
cache of A64,and AMD64 features disabled) in 2005. Of course Intel
raising prices strategically would help AMD, it would help Intel even more.
Price wars between Intel and AMD are silly. The industry is an oligopoly,
and AMD is a strong competitor that is getting stronger. Intel's attempts
at hurting AMD with price wars have hurt Intel much more than they hurt AMD.
Now that the other computer components(hard drives, lcd monitors, ram, etc.)
have gotten to very low price levels, overall PC demand has a chance for very
significant growth. I see that growth coming from lesser developed countries
where many families want to buy their first computer, and from families in
developed countries who want to buy a second or third computer(isn't it annoying
when parents have to wait for a child to finish doing his homework on the pc
before they can use it?).

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> These are just some rumours from some stock talk groups and other sites, but
> if they're true, they will obviously necessitate readjusting your next
> computer buying decisions:
>
> http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stocktalk/msg.gsp?msgid=...
>
> http://www.overclockers.com/articles1096/
>
> With, Intel's recent announcement that it's not going to be able to make its
> previously predicted revenues for this quarter, it would seem that
> microprocessor prices are a little too unstainably low for it. So it looks
> like it's trying to sneak in some price hikes. It used to be able to lower
> prices in some segments and subsidize them with its other product lines, but
> it doesn't look like those days are going to return anymore. I guess it's
> decided to simply call a truce with AMD (for the time being) and make some
> money instead.
>
> Yousuf Khan
>
> --
> Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
> Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2004 10:38:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

JK wrote:
> Intel's attempts
> at hurting AMD with price wars have hurt Intel much more than they
> hurt AMD. Now that the other computer components(hard drives, lcd
> monitors, ram, etc.) have gotten to very low price levels, overall PC
> demand has a chance for very significant growth. I see that growth
> coming from lesser developed countries where many families want to
> buy their first computer, and from families in developed countries
> who want to buy a second or third computer(isn't it annoying when
> parents have to wait for a child to finish doing his homework on the
> pc before they can use it?).

Well, according to Intel overall demand is very weak, both for processors
and flash. But they could be lying.

Yousuf Khan
Related resources
September 7, 2004 10:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> JK wrote:
> > Intel's attempts
> > at hurting AMD with price wars have hurt Intel much more than they
> > hurt AMD. Now that the other computer components(hard drives, lcd
> > monitors, ram, etc.) have gotten to very low price levels, overall PC
> > demand has a chance for very significant growth. I see that growth
> > coming from lesser developed countries where many families want to
> > buy their first computer, and from families in developed countries
> > who want to buy a second or third computer(isn't it annoying when
> > parents have to wait for a child to finish doing his homework on the
> > pc before they can use it?).
>
> Well, according to Intel overall demand is very weak, both for processors
> and flash. But they could be lying.

AMD might be gaining a tremendous amount of market share. Notice
Dell's retreat from the lower end of the Chinese pc market, as they didn't
want to compete against Lenovo selling low priced AMD based computers.

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040816-4104.html

>
>
> Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2004 10:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:38:05 GMT, "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>JK wrote:
>> Intel's attempts
>> at hurting AMD with price wars have hurt Intel much more than they
>> hurt AMD. Now that the other computer components(hard drives, lcd
>> monitors, ram, etc.) have gotten to very low price levels, overall PC
>> demand has a chance for very significant growth. I see that growth
>> coming from lesser developed countries where many families want to
>> buy their first computer, and from families in developed countries
>> who want to buy a second or third computer(isn't it annoying when
>> parents have to wait for a child to finish doing his homework on the
>> pc before they can use it?).
>
>Well, according to Intel overall demand is very weak, both for processors
>and flash. But they could be lying.

Overall demand... probably.... but the CPU I had my eye on a month ago has
risen in price beyond what I want to pay for it - bloody annoying that!

FTR that was the Athlon64 3500+... which is listed at $346. (reduced from
$500. in July 26 price reductions) and which was selling for $352. a few
weeks ago... and is now selling at ~$420.

In fact all the upper-end A64s, socket 939s, seem to be holding or
exceeding list price quite well. Is this production constraint here?

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2004 11:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

JK wrote:

> That strategy might be effective before AMD gets a chance to
> start selling the 90nm Sempron (Athlon 64 with half the cache
> of A64, and AMD64 features disabled) in 2005.

<tongue in cheek>But... Who'd want to buy a 32-bit CPU?!?!
September 7, 2004 11:45:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Nudge wrote:

> JK wrote:
>
> > That strategy might be effective before AMD gets a chance to
> > start selling the 90nm Sempron (Athlon 64 with half the cache
> > of A64, and AMD64 features disabled) in 2005.
>
> <tongue in cheek>But... Who'd want to buy a 32-bit CPU?!?!

Many people will want a 32 bit budget cpu. My issue is with high
priced 32 bit processors.
September 8, 2004 1:25:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

George Macdonald wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:38:05 GMT, "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:
>
> >JK wrote:
> >> Intel's attempts
> >> at hurting AMD with price wars have hurt Intel much more than they
> >> hurt AMD. Now that the other computer components(hard drives, lcd
> >> monitors, ram, etc.) have gotten to very low price levels, overall PC
> >> demand has a chance for very significant growth. I see that growth
> >> coming from lesser developed countries where many families want to
> >> buy their first computer, and from families in developed countries
> >> who want to buy a second or third computer(isn't it annoying when
> >> parents have to wait for a child to finish doing his homework on the
> >> pc before they can use it?).
> >
> >Well, according to Intel overall demand is very weak, both for processors
> >and flash. But they could be lying.
>
> Overall demand... probably.... but the CPU I had my eye on a month ago has
> risen in price beyond what I want to pay for it - bloody annoying that!
>
> FTR that was the Athlon64 3500+... which is listed at $346. (reduced from
> $500. in July 26 price reductions) and which was selling for $352. a few
> weeks ago... and is now selling at ~$420.

You can still get it for $365 or less. Check www.pricewatch.com.
Monarch Computer has the retail box for $365. Others have it
a bit less, however they might not be as reliable as Monarch.

>
>
> In fact all the upper-end A64s, socket 939s, seem to be holding or
> exceeding list price quite well. Is this production constraint here?

The production appears to be growing, however the demand appears
to be growing even faster. Since the price drop from around $500,
to around $350 the Athlon 64 3500+ has been in great demand.

>
>
> Rgds, George Macdonald
>
> "Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2004 2:50:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

JK wrote:

> Nudge wrote:
>
>> JK wrote:
>>
>>> That strategy might be effective before AMD gets a chance to
>>> start selling the 90nm Sempron (Athlon 64 with half the cache
>>> of A64, and AMD64 features disabled) in 2005.
>>
>> <tongue in cheek>But... Who'd want to buy a 32-bit CPU?!?!
>
> Many people will want a 32-bit budget CPU. My issue is with
> high priced 32-bit processors.

<tongue in cheek bis>Shelton should come quite cheap.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2004 8:23:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:12:32 -0400, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

>>Well, according to Intel overall demand is very weak, both for processors
>>and flash. But they could be lying.

The news article about that did mentioned it's in contrast to what
most other businesses are reporting about their PC sales and handphone
sales. Isn't it possible that AMD is finally gaining on Intel again on
both fronts? :p ppP

--
L.Angel: I'm looking for web design work.
If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me :) 
Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
If you really want, FrontPage & DreamWeaver too.
But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated code
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2004 4:48:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:25:21 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

>
>
>George Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:38:05 GMT, "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:
>>
>> >JK wrote:
>> >> Intel's attempts
>> >> at hurting AMD with price wars have hurt Intel much more than they
>> >> hurt AMD. Now that the other computer components(hard drives, lcd
>> >> monitors, ram, etc.) have gotten to very low price levels, overall PC
>> >> demand has a chance for very significant growth. I see that growth
>> >> coming from lesser developed countries where many families want to
>> >> buy their first computer, and from families in developed countries
>> >> who want to buy a second or third computer(isn't it annoying when
>> >> parents have to wait for a child to finish doing his homework on the
>> >> pc before they can use it?).
>> >
>> >Well, according to Intel overall demand is very weak, both for processors
>> >and flash. But they could be lying.
>>
>> Overall demand... probably.... but the CPU I had my eye on a month ago has
>> risen in price beyond what I want to pay for it - bloody annoying that!
>>
>> FTR that was the Athlon64 3500+... which is listed at $346. (reduced from
>> $500. in July 26 price reductions) and which was selling for $352. a few
>> weeks ago... and is now selling at ~$420.
>
>You can still get it for $365 or less. Check www.pricewatch.com.
>Monarch Computer has the retail box for $365. Others have it
>a bit less, however they might not be as reliable as Monarch.

Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
bottom-feeders for my liking.

>>
>> In fact all the upper-end A64s, socket 939s, seem to be holding or
>> exceeding list price quite well. Is this production constraint here?
>
>The production appears to be growing, however the demand appears
>to be growing even faster. Since the price drop from around $500,
>to around $350 the Athlon 64 3500+ has been in great demand.

Seems to be available in spurts - Newegg just dropped back (from $425) to
$389. in a coupla days or so. I'm not desperate so maybe I'll wait for a
bit yet.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2004 8:06:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

George Macdonald wrote:
>
>
> Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
> bottom-feeders for my liking.
>

A note about Monarch:

I have purchased 4 Tyan S2885's from Monarch. Two in
my first purchase and then two more singles.

The last two Tyan S2885's I got from Monarch came with
the antistatic bag already opened and some of the jumpers
and BIOS settings were not at the factory defaults.
When I confronted Monarch over that they confessed that
I was probably shipped used boards that had been returned
by other customers. They did allow me to return the boards
for full refunds. The first time I was very annoyed.
The second time I was really pissed off.

Someone else recently posted a similar story on
a.c.peripherals.mainboard.tyan.

I think I'll give http://www.lynncomp.com/shop5/
a chance next time I want a Tyan motherboard.




--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.
September 9, 2004 8:06:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:06:14 +0000, Rob Stow wrote:

> George Macdonald wrote:
>>
>>
>> Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
>> bottom-feeders for my liking.
>>
>
> A note about Monarch:
>
> I have purchased 4 Tyan S2885's from Monarch. Two in
> my first purchase and then two more singles.
>
> The last two Tyan S2885's I got from Monarch came with
> the antistatic bag already opened and some of the jumpers
> and BIOS settings were not at the factory defaults.
> When I confronted Monarch over that they confessed that
> I was probably shipped used boards that had been returned
> by other customers. They did allow me to return the boards
> for full refunds. The first time I was very annoyed.
> The second time I was really pissed off.

Thanks. I've been tempted to buy from Monarch, but I've had such
excellent service from newEgg and Axion that I'm willing to pay a few
bucks more for the known pain-free service. OTOH, it seems from your
experience that Monarch's service is good. If a board is returned NDF,
it's going somewhere. Perhaps they need more practice at repackaging. ;-)

I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712) and
the prices in pricewatch are all over the place. The PW bottom-feeders
are almost half the price of the name outlets. Interestingly enough, the
prices direct from Plextor seem rather decent. I've found this in a
number of cases where the vendor sells via their web site.

--
Keith


--
Keith
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2004 9:07:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:06:14 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>George Macdonald wrote:
>>
>>
>> Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
>> bottom-feeders for my liking.
>>
>
>A note about Monarch:
>
>I have purchased 4 Tyan S2885's from Monarch. Two in
>my first purchase and then two more singles.
>
>The last two Tyan S2885's I got from Monarch came with
>the antistatic bag already opened and some of the jumpers
>and BIOS settings were not at the factory defaults.
>When I confronted Monarch over that they confessed that
>I was probably shipped used boards that had been returned
>by other customers. They did allow me to return the boards
>for full refunds. The first time I was very annoyed.
>The second time I was really pissed off.
>
>Someone else recently posted a similar story on
>a.c.peripherals.mainboard.tyan.
>
>I think I'll give http://www.lynncomp.com/shop5/
>a chance next time I want a Tyan motherboard.

Thanks for the info.

I've had similar "open box" experiences myself with a coupla vendors:
missing retention assemblies etc. In neither case was the vendor really at
fault - just the drop warehouse they used and in one case I was assured
that they (www.neutronet.com FTR) would switch warehouses... which they
seemed to do, since it never happened again.

So far I've been very happy with Newegg - no problems and their
shipping/handling is top notch and does not have any $ surprises.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
September 9, 2004 9:14:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

keith wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:06:14 +0000, Rob Stow wrote:
>
> > George Macdonald wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
> >> bottom-feeders for my liking.
> >>
> >
> > A note about Monarch:
> >
> > I have purchased 4 Tyan S2885's from Monarch. Two in
> > my first purchase and then two more singles.
> >
> > The last two Tyan S2885's I got from Monarch came with
> > the antistatic bag already opened and some of the jumpers
> > and BIOS settings were not at the factory defaults.
> > When I confronted Monarch over that they confessed that
> > I was probably shipped used boards that had been returned
> > by other customers. They did allow me to return the boards
> > for full refunds. The first time I was very annoyed.
> > The second time I was really pissed off.
>
> Thanks. I've been tempted to buy from Monarch, but I've had such
> excellent service from newEgg and Axion that I'm willing to pay a few
> bucks more for the known pain-free service. OTOH, it seems from your
> experience that Monarch's service is good. If a board is returned NDF,
> it's going somewhere. Perhaps they need more practice at repackaging. ;-)
>
> I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712)

Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.

> and
> the prices in pricewatch are all over the place. The PW bottom-feeders
> are almost half the price of the name outlets. Interestingly enough, the
> prices direct from Plextor seem rather decent. I've found this in a
> number of cases where the vendor sells via their web site.
>
> --
> Keith
>
>
> --
> Keith
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2004 11:55:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
> Thanks. I've been tempted to buy from Monarch, but I've had
> such excellent service from newEgg and Axion that I'm willing
> to pay a few bucks more for the known pain-free service.

I've used Axion for years since they're local.
They run a nice, busy, store.

-- Robert in Houston
September 10, 2004 2:29:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:55:25 +0000, Robert Redelmeier wrote:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>> Thanks. I've been tempted to buy from Monarch, but I've had
>> such excellent service from newEgg and Axion that I'm willing
>> to pay a few bucks more for the known pain-free service.
>
> I've used Axion for years since they're local.
> They run a nice, busy, store.

If they were local (or *ANYONE*), I'd likely use them too. Actually my
son was the one who turned me on to newEgg. I was dealing with Axion long
before that. Axion's web page turned me right off (like blindingly
right off) a few years back, so I've dealt exclusively with newEgg
since.

--
Keith (where hardware is something one orders, like Sears some years
back)
September 10, 2004 2:33:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:14:47 -0400, JK wrote:

>
>
> keith wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:06:14 +0000, Rob Stow wrote:
>>
>> > George Macdonald wrote:
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
>> >> bottom-feeders for my liking.
>> >>
>> >
>> > A note about Monarch:
>> >
>> > I have purchased 4 Tyan S2885's from Monarch. Two in
>> > my first purchase and then two more singles.
>> >
>> > The last two Tyan S2885's I got from Monarch came with
>> > the antistatic bag already opened and some of the jumpers
>> > and BIOS settings were not at the factory defaults.
>> > When I confronted Monarch over that they confessed that
>> > I was probably shipped used boards that had been returned
>> > by other customers. They did allow me to return the boards
>> > for full refunds. The first time I was very annoyed.
>> > The second time I was really pissed off.
>>
>> Thanks. I've been tempted to buy from Monarch, but I've had such
>> excellent service from newEgg and Axion that I'm willing to pay a few
>> bucks more for the known pain-free service. OTOH, it seems from your
>> experience that Monarch's service is good. If a board is returned NDF,
>> it's going somewhere. Perhaps they need more practice at repackaging. ;-)
>>
>> I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712)
>
> Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
> usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.

How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the CD,
CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1, followed by
Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by the wayside...

I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks. I despise hardware that doesn't
work. I'm not about to take chances for pocket-change. That said, my
sone was recommending LiteOn when I talked with him the other day.
<shrug>

--
Keith
September 10, 2004 7:38:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:33:51 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:



>>> I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712)
>>
>> Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
>> usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.
>
>How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the CD,
>CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1, followed by
>Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by the wayside...
>
>I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks. I despise hardware that doesn't
>work. I'm not about to take chances for pocket-change. That said, my
>sone was recommending LiteOn when I talked with him the other day.
><shrug>

You need to do more research. I have been spending a lot of time on the forums at
club.cdfreaks.com, videohelp.com, forum.rpc1.org, and cdrinfo.com. Owners of the Nec 3500
are almost universally happy, so are owners of the Pioneer 108. Liteon owners are jumping
ship in droves, most of them jumping to the Nec. In the Plextor forums, some are happy,
some are not. Quality on the Plextor 712 drives seems to vary a lot, and luck plays a big
role, it would seem. But it would appear that you cannot go wrong with the Nec 3500 or
the Pioneer 108.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2004 1:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

>>>>> "Tony" == Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> writes:

Tony> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:33:51 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz>
Tony> wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:14:47 -0400, JK wrote:
>>> Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn
>>> drives, and you usually get much more value for your money with
>>> LiteOn.
>> How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the
>> CD, CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1,
>> followed by Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by
>> the wayside...

Tony> FWIW a few months back my Yamaha CD-RW finally gave up the
Tony> ghost (the itsy, tiny fan inside of it died about 2 weeks after
Tony> the warranty expired and the rest of the drive had been slowly
Tony> getting worse ever since).

Tony> I replaced it with a LiteOn 52x32x52 drive for something like
Tony> $40 (funny Canuck monay at that) and it's been absolutely
Tony> flawless. The burnproof technology works great, reads well,
Tony> writes well. Only coaster I've burned is when I accidentally
Tony> hit the 'reset' button on my computer halfway through a burn!
Tony> Oops!

Many of the drives are very similiar. So check out some cdrom forums,
and you probably get the same drive from another vendor at lower cost.
However, one problem with this doing is support. Also check out NEC
OEM drives if all you need is a drive without software. I have the 8x
DVD+-RW burner it works like a charm, and it is now about 65 bucks at
newegg.com. Damn I paid 80 bucks for mine from newegg but that is life
in the computer world.

I really like the fact the NEC DVD burner has dos and linux ROM update
software. This is really nice. Some vendors have only windows ROM
update software. That is Great if you only run windows.

Good luck,

Alan
September 10, 2004 3:24:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:38:42 +0000, Lurker1 wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:33:51 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>
>
>>>> I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712)
>>>
>>> Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
>>> usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.
>>
>>How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the CD,
>>CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1, followed by
>>Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by the wayside...
>>
>>I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks. I despise hardware that doesn't
>>work. I'm not about to take chances for pocket-change. That said, my
>>sone was recommending LiteOn when I talked with him the other day.
>><shrug>
>
> You need to do more research. I have been spending a lot of time on the forums at
> club.cdfreaks.com, videohelp.com, forum.rpc1.org, and cdrinfo.com. Owners of the Nec 3500
> are almost universally happy, so are owners of the Pioneer 108. Liteon owners are jumping
> ship in droves, most of them jumping to the Nec. In the Plextor forums, some are happy,
> some are not. Quality on the Plextor 712 drives seems to vary a lot, and luck plays a big
> role, it would seem. But it would appear that you cannot go wrong with the Nec 3500 or
> the Pioneer 108.

Thanks. I'll look into these models as well. Though I tend to stick with
manufacturers that have served me well. I have a couple of Plextor SCSI
CDROM drives and a CD-R/W that have been flawless (though I haven't been
able to get them working on this system; the AHA-3940 doesn't seem to be
recognized).

--
Keith
September 13, 2004 5:39:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:24:14 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:38:42 +0000, Lurker1 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:33:51 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>>> I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712)
>>>>
>>>> Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
>>>> usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.
>>>
>>>How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the CD,
>>>CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1, followed by
>>>Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by the wayside...
>>>
>>>I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks. I despise hardware that doesn't
>>>work. I'm not about to take chances for pocket-change. That said, my
>>>sone was recommending LiteOn when I talked with him the other day.
>>><shrug>
>>
>> You need to do more research. I have been spending a lot of time on the forums at
>> club.cdfreaks.com, videohelp.com, forum.rpc1.org, and cdrinfo.com. Owners of the Nec 3500
>> are almost universally happy, so are owners of the Pioneer 108. Liteon owners are jumping
>> ship in droves, most of them jumping to the Nec. In the Plextor forums, some are happy,
>> some are not. Quality on the Plextor 712 drives seems to vary a lot, and luck plays a big
>> role, it would seem. But it would appear that you cannot go wrong with the Nec 3500 or
>> the Pioneer 108.
>
>Thanks. I'll look into these models as well. Though I tend to stick with
>manufacturers that have served me well. I have a couple of Plextor SCSI
>CDROM drives and a CD-R/W that have been flawless (though I haven't been
>able to get them working on this system; the AHA-3940 doesn't seem to be
>recognized).

Check out this thread.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=106778

The majority of respondents are happy with their Plextor 712,
but there is a definite minority with problems.

Do you believe you have a bad 712A 24 votes, 13.33%

Do you believe you may have had a
bad drive, but it could have been
bad media 10 votes, 5.56%

Nothing is wrong with my 712A 146 votes, 81.11%

=============================================================

Interesting thread here as well

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=106363
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 4:57:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Rob Stow wrote:
> George Macdonald wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Thanks for the refer to Monarch - Pricewatch just has too many
>> bottom-feeders for my liking.
>>
>
> A note about Monarch:
>
> I have purchased 4 Tyan S2885's from Monarch. Two in
> my first purchase and then two more singles.
>
> The last two Tyan S2885's I got from Monarch came with
> the antistatic bag already opened and some of the jumpers
> and BIOS settings were not at the factory defaults.
> When I confronted Monarch over that they confessed that
> I was probably shipped used boards that had been returned
> by other customers. They did allow me to return the boards
> for full refunds. The first time I was very annoyed.
> The second time I was really pissed off.
>
> Someone else recently posted a similar story on
> a.c.peripherals.mainboard.tyan.
>
> I think I'll give http://www.lynncomp.com/shop5/
> a chance next time I want a Tyan motherboard.

I have been buying from Egghead (www.newegg.com) for components. Out of
12 orders I have had two bad factory fresh items, and they have made
good with no whining every time. They label refurbs as such, they post
reviews, they even warn not to buy only on reviews, and I like them.

Every retailer gets a few problem parts, it's how well they stand behind
them I count. Prices are quite good, better if you watch the daily
specials, and they do have customer service. I miss tc computers, their
tech support was great, but they got eaten by people I would rather avoid.

--
bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
SBC/Prodigy Yorktown Heights NY data center
Project Leader, USENET news
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 5:10:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Tony Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:33:51 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:14:47 -0400, JK wrote:
>>
>>>Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
>>>usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.
>>
>>How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the CD,
>>CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1, followed by
>>Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by the wayside...
>
>
> FWIW a few months back my Yamaha CD-RW finally gave up the ghost (the
> itsy, tiny fan inside of it died about 2 weeks after the warranty
> expired and the rest of the drive had been slowly getting worse ever
> since).
>
> I replaced it with a LiteOn 52x32x52 drive for something like $40
> (funny Canuck monay at that) and it's been absolutely flawless. The
> burnproof technology works great, reads well, writes well. Only
> coaster I've burned is when I accidentally hit the 'reset' button on
> my computer halfway through a burn! Oops!

I don't normally post "me too" but in this case I will, I have run
LiteOn, Plextor and Abit burners, and not had problem one. I do check
every critical backup with -c2scan (cdrecord, Linux) to be sure the burn
was clean. I also run whatever media OfficeMax or Staples has on sale
for $10/100 or less, or computer show specials, so it's not that I'm
running great media to do this.

If I get bad media at that price I give it to the kids for whatever
teenagers do these days, but in general it's satisfactory.

--
bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
SBC/Prodigy Yorktown Heights NY data center
Project Leader, USENET news
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com
September 17, 2004 3:26:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:39:08 +0000, Lurker1 wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:24:14 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:38:42 +0000, Lurker1 wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:33:51 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>> I'm in the market for a DVD writer (preference - Plextor 708 or 712)
>>>>>
>>>>> Why not LiteOn? Plextor drives are good, but so are LiteOn drives, and you
>>>>> usually get much more value for your money with LiteOn.
>>>>
>>>>How make LiteOn drives? I'm old enough to have gone through the CD,
>>>>CD-R/W batttles of the past. Plextor has always been #1, followed by
>>>>Yamaha and Ricoh. Since Yamaha seems to have fallen by the wayside...
>>>>
>>>>I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks. I despise hardware that doesn't
>>>>work. I'm not about to take chances for pocket-change. That said, my
>>>>sone was recommending LiteOn when I talked with him the other day.
>>>><shrug>
>>>
>>> You need to do more research. I have been spending a lot of time on the forums at
>>> club.cdfreaks.com, videohelp.com, forum.rpc1.org, and cdrinfo.com. Owners of the Nec 3500
>>> are almost universally happy, so are owners of the Pioneer 108. Liteon owners are jumping
>>> ship in droves, most of them jumping to the Nec. In the Plextor forums, some are happy,
>>> some are not. Quality on the Plextor 712 drives seems to vary a lot, and luck plays a big
>>> role, it would seem. But it would appear that you cannot go wrong with the Nec 3500 or
>>> the Pioneer 108.
>>
>>Thanks. I'll look into these models as well. Though I tend to stick with
>>manufacturers that have served me well. I have a couple of Plextor SCSI
>>CDROM drives and a CD-R/W that have been flawless (though I haven't been
>>able to get them working on this system; the AHA-3940 doesn't seem to be
>>recognized).
>
> Check out this thread.
>
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=106778
>
> The majority of respondents are happy with their Plextor 712,
> but there is a definite minority with problems.

Ok, but with a self-selected sample this small, I'm not convinced. I
don't put much faith in resellerratings for similar reasons.

--
Keith
!