Help!! Can I add second Xeon + cooler (604) from top of mo..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Have a two processor Tyan Xeon board using socket 603/4 (forgot which)-
Can I cement or otherwise kludge a way to mount the cooler on top without
removing the motherboard and mounting the hardware from the bottom?

Know this sounds silly, but crazy glue??

TIA,

Ken

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

any way of doing this, other than the correct way, would be silly.
Whatever, however, who ever got you into this situation..... take it
on the chin and do it the right way.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:54:59 -0400, "Frank Perdue" <chicken1@aol.com> wrote:

>Have a two processor Tyan Xeon board using socket 603/4 (forgot which)-
>Can I cement or otherwise kludge a way to mount the cooler on top without
>removing the motherboard and mounting the hardware from the bottom?
>
>Know this sounds silly, but crazy glue??

That's crazy! ;-)

There is *significant* force applied to the heat sink to assure a solid
thermal path from case to cooler - a force that is high enough to require use
of the case as an anchor to avoid destroying the board itself.

You could never establish - never mind maintain - that force using glue to
attach the sink to the board alone...

/daytripper (but thanks for the laugh ;-)