Intel demos dual-core CPU

http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019
3 answers Last reply
More about intel demos dual core

    chrisv wrote:

    > http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019

    How come several comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars post IA-64 news
    to a group mostly dedicated to IA-32 CPUs?

    Do you believe Intel's ability to produce a dual-core dual-threaded
    Itanium processor has any relevance to Intel's ability to produce a
    dual-core (dual-threaded, I guess) Xeon?

    Should we post news about Intel's other endeavors (XScale, network
    processors, flash memory)?

    --
    Regards, Grumble

    Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

    >chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019
    >
    >How come several comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars post IA-64 news
    >to a group mostly dedicated to IA-32 CPUs?
    >
    >Do you believe Intel's ability to produce a dual-core dual-threaded
    >Itanium processor has any relevance to Intel's ability to produce a
    >dual-core (dual-threaded, I guess) Xeon?
    >
    >Should we post news about Intel's other endeavors (XScale, network
    >processors, flash memory)?

    *plonk*

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:34:59 +0200, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org>
    wrote:
    >chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019
    >
    >How come several comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars post IA-64 news
    >to a group mostly dedicated to IA-32 CPUs?

    Because IA-64 chips are... well.. *chips*, and this is a group
    dedicated to chips. Ok, they aren't really 'PC' chips in the classic
    sense of the term, but who cares.. they're still interesting to us
    geeks, regardless of whether we like them or not.

    >Do you believe Intel's ability to produce a dual-core dual-threaded
    >Itanium processor has any relevance to Intel's ability to produce a
    >dual-core (dual-threaded, I guess) Xeon?

    Actually yes, it has a fair bit of relevance. Obviously they're not
    the same thing, but they are related.

    >Should we post news about Intel's other endeavors (XScale, network
    >processors, flash memory)?

    If you've got news about XScale, please post away! Those are some
    cool little chips! Performance that would probably beat a top-end
    processor for only 5 or 6 years ago and they managed to jam them into
    PDAs? I like it!

    Tony Hill

CPUs Hardware IBM Dual Core Intel