Intel demos dual-core CPU

chrisv wrote:

> http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019

How come several comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars post IA-64 news
to a group mostly dedicated to IA-32 CPUs?

Do you believe Intel's ability to produce a dual-core dual-threaded
Itanium processor has any relevance to Intel's ability to produce a
dual-core (dual-threaded, I guess) Xeon?

Should we post news about Intel's other endeavors (XScale, network
processors, flash memory)?

--
Regards, Grumble

Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>
>> http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019
>
>How come several comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars post IA-64 news
>to a group mostly dedicated to IA-32 CPUs?
>
>Do you believe Intel's ability to produce a dual-core dual-threaded
>Itanium processor has any relevance to Intel's ability to produce a
>dual-core (dual-threaded, I guess) Xeon?
>
>Should we post news about Intel's other endeavors (XScale, network
>processors, flash memory)?

*plonk*

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:34:59 +0200, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org>
wrote:
>chrisv wrote:
>
>> http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA451291?nid=2019
>
>How come several comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars post IA-64 news
>to a group mostly dedicated to IA-32 CPUs?

Because IA-64 chips are... well.. *chips*, and this is a group
dedicated to chips. Ok, they aren't really 'PC' chips in the classic
sense of the term, but who cares.. they're still interesting to us
geeks, regardless of whether we like them or not.

>Do you believe Intel's ability to produce a dual-core dual-threaded
>Itanium processor has any relevance to Intel's ability to produce a
>dual-core (dual-threaded, I guess) Xeon?

Actually yes, it has a fair bit of relevance. Obviously they're not
the same thing, but they are related.

>Should we post news about Intel's other endeavors (XScale, network
>processors, flash memory)?

If you've got news about XScale, please post away! Those are some
cool little chips! Performance that would probably beat a top-end
processor for only 5 or 6 years ago and they managed to jam them into
PDAs? I like it!

Tony Hill