Is celeron okay?

I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
would be appreciated!
18 answers Last reply
More about celeron okay

    ralgam wrote:

    > I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
    > started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
    > inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
    > computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
    > support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    > support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
    > do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
    > spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
    > would be appreciated!

    Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better performance than a
    comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor. Apple is selling many
    notebooks, however the prices on those aren't so low, and there is much more
    software available for a pc than for a Mac.

    In article <41407009.4895282B@netscape.net>, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

    >ralgam wrote:
    >
    >> I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
    >> started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
    >> inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
    >> computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
    >> support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    >> support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
    >> do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
    >> spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
    >> would be appreciated!
    >
    >Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better performance
    >than a comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor. Apple is
    >selling many notebooks, however the prices on those aren't so low, and
    >there is much more software available for a pc than for a Mac.

    To say "purchase a laptop with an athlon" is not much help to the OP
    since the quality and support have everything to do with brand, not
    the CPU. The OP's hot button is support, and Dell generally does that
    better than most. Dell is on everyone's short list of good x86
    laptops, along with Toshiba and IBM.

    Apple got top marks on the recent PC Magazine support satisfaction
    survey. You can bring $1200 to the Apple store and come out with a
    very nice laptop. There are not many $1200 x86 laptops I'd want.
    An Apple will save the OP save $40/year by avoiding the expense
    of AV software.

    To say there is "lots more software for the PC" is questionable, and
    irrelevant unless the OP wants to do something that MAC can't do,
    which these means business applications and some games.

    Celeron is fine in a laptop, if it's a good laptop, and you are going
    to do word processing, internet browsing, and email.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <41407009.4895282B@netscape.net>, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
    > >

    > >ralgam wrote:
    > >
    > >> I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
    > >> started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
    > >> inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
    > >> computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
    > >> support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    > >> support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
    > >> do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
    > >> spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
    > >> would be appreciated!
    > >
    > >Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better performance
    > >than a comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor. Apple is
    > >selling many notebooks, however the prices on those aren't so low, and
    > >there is much more software available for a pc than for a Mac.
    > >

    > To say "purchase a laptop with an athlon" is not much help to the OP
    > since the quality and support have everything to do with brand, not
    > the CPU. The OP's hot button is support, and Dell generally does that
    > better than most.

    Others would disagree with that.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    > Dell is on everyone's short list of good x86
    > laptops, along with Toshiba and IBM.
    >
    > Apple got top marks on the recent PC Magazine support satisfaction
    > survey. You can bring $1200 to the Apple store and come out with a
    > very nice laptop.

    Or one can spend $699(after rebates) for an Athlon XP notebook
    with a 15" screen, or $599 at Walmart for one with a smaller
    screen and slower cpu. $699 vs $1200 is a huge price difference.

    > There are not many $1200 x86 laptops I'd want.
    > An Apple will save the OP save $40/year by avoiding the expense
    > of AV software.
    >
    > To say there is "lots more software for the PC" is questionable

    Questionable? Why are you in doubt?

    > , and
    > irrelevant unless the OP wants to do something that MAC can't do,
    > which these means business applications and some games.

    Those are extremely popular software categories.

    > Celeron is fine in a laptop

    Fine? Why? Why settle for less performance in that price range than
    you can get with an Athlon XP notebook?

    > , if it's a good laptop, and you are going
    > to do word processing, internet browsing, and email.

    With that logic, someone should buy a $300 4 year old used notebook.

    > --
    > Al Dykes
    > -----------
    > adykes at p a n i x . c o m

    Oops. I posted the wrong link in my previous post.

    JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<41407009.4895282B@netscape.net>...
    > Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better performance than a comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor.

    What manufacturer would you recommend, considering I may need to use
    the technical support?

    ralgam <ralgam@aol.com> wrote:
    > I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150,
    > but then I started reading about the celeron processor
    > and thought maybe the inspiron wasn't such a good idea.

    Entirely reasonable. I believe Intel has significantly
    improved the Celeron with their 300 series. The earlier
    ones were truly crippled. If you want a Dell, then
    consider a Pentium M. AFAIK, Dell doesn't sell AMD.

    > Here's my problem: I am not very computer savvy, so I
    > want to purchase a computer with good technical support.

    Is HPaq that much worse than Dell? Their AMD Athlon XPs
    are very cost effective.

    > But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    > support is from Apple.

    Naturally! You pay more, and they have a _much_ better
    operating system. But beware, they still also have highly
    biased fans around.

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:

    >> But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    >> support is from Apple.
    >
    >Naturally! You pay more, and they have a _much_ better
    >operating system. But beware, they still also have highly
    >biased fans around.

    c/biased/rabid/

    8)

    ralgam wrote:

    > I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
    > started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
    > inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
    > computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
    > support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    > support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
    > do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
    > spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
    > would be appreciated!

    The "Help Me Choose" for on the Dell4Me page says that the Celeron on
    the 1150 has 128K cache (as opposed to 512K cache in the offered mobile
    P4). I wouldn't; the NetBurst (P4) architecture is really crippled with
    such a small cache.

    Whether _you_ can get by with the Celeron is more a matter of your own
    style than of the machine. If the applications really are as
    undemanding as you imply, and if you really can't spare the extra $150
    for the P4, you'll get by with the Celeron. Neither machine would be my
    choice, but you probably don't want to spend the money for a Pentium-M.

    Technical support? Make friends with somebody who knows what they're doing.

    RM

    Robert Myers <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<G1%%c.406214$%_6.92675@attbi_s01>...

    > Technical support? Make friends with somebody who knows what they're doing.
    >
    > RM

    You mean like you guys? ;)

    Seriously, if price is the same, where would you recommend I purchase
    the laptop.. Compusa, Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City? Which would
    give me the best service if there is something wrong with the laptop?

    On 9 Sep 2004 11:40:16 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <41407009.4895282B@netscape.net>, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>ralgam wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
    >>> started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
    >>> inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
    >>> computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
    >>> support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    >>> support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
    >>> do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
    >>> spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
    >>> would be appreciated!
    >>
    >>Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better performance
    >>than a comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor. Apple is
    >>selling many notebooks, however the prices on those aren't so low, and
    >>there is much more software available for a pc than for a Mac.
    >>

    >To say "purchase a laptop with an athlon" is not much help to the OP
    >since the quality and support have everything to do with brand, not
    >the CPU. The OP's hot button is support, and Dell generally does that
    >better than most. Dell is on everyone's short list of good x86
    >laptops, along with Toshiba and IBM.

    Dell got crossed off our list a while back - too many probs which, given
    inability to correct (e.g. drifting cursor etc.), seemed to indicate
    endemic faults.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    In article <934ffce7.0409091450.2df6aed0@posting.google.com>,
    ralgam <ralgam@aol.com> wrote:
    >Robert Myers <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message news:
    <G1%%c.406214$%_6.92675@attbi_s01>...

    >> Technical support? Make friends with somebody who knows what they're doing.
    >>
    >> RM
    >
    >You mean like you guys? ;)
    >
    >Seriously, if price is the same, where would you recommend I purchase
    >the laptop.. Compusa, Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City? Which would
    >give me the best service if there is something wrong with the laptop?

    I'd avoid these stores like the plague. I think laptops are best
    bought on the web or by phone directly from the manufacturer or a
    reputable computer equipment distributer (CompUSA doesn't fall into
    that catagory, Newegg does, IMO.)

    If you selct a model and customize it on the manufacturer's website
    then call a human salesman and keep chat with him you might find they
    have a special deal "today only". It's also worth asking what kind of
    other hardware or software they can bundle in with the laptop.

    I recommend extended warranty, but only from the manufacturer. The
    store-brand warranty will be a pain to use if you need to use
    it. trust me.

    It's also worth looking on ebay for the "stores" IBM and Dell have
    remainder and referb models on a regular basis and if you know what
    you are shopping for they can be a good deal. WHen I checked, once,
    I found that I could buy an IBM laptop on ebay and then call up IBM
    withinn 30 daya and buy the extended warranty.

    There are lots of business-grade laptops out these that have come off
    3-year lease. The major problem I have with used laptops is the
    battery is dead.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    ralgam wrote:
    > Robert Myers <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<G1%%c.406214$%_6.92675@attbi_s01>...
    >
    >>Technical support? Make friends with somebody who knows what they're doing.
    >>
    >>RM
    >

    > You mean like you guys? ;)
    >
    > Seriously, if price is the same, where would you recommend I purchase
    > the laptop.. Compusa, Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City? Which would
    > give me the best service if there is something wrong with the laptop?

    There is really no place that I would recommend to buy a laptop.
    Wherever I decided to buy, I'd scrutinize the terms of the warranty
    carefully and ask as many questions as I could think of about what
    actually happens when something goes wrong. What terms are acceptable
    is going to depend on how much risk, hassle, delay, and uncertainty you
    can live with. There is no way to buy a laptop that does not involve
    risk and uncertainty and a substantial possibility of hassle and serious
    delay if there is a problem. If you can't live with those things, you
    shouldn't buy a laptop.

    As to tech support, don't plan on much hand-holding from the
    manufacturer. On the margins at which PC's are sold, a manufacturer who
    included realistic tech support to a naive user would soon be out of
    business. Against that dour assessment, google and the internet are
    your friends if you can't find a friend locally.

    As compared to the laptop you originally inquired about, gateway offers
    an attractive alternative (although the link hints darkly that
    availability may not be certain):

    http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/m520cs.shtml

    The m520cs comes with a Celeron D processor, which has 256k of cache, as
    opposed to the 128k of the Dell you inquired about. The price is lower,
    and the performance of the Celeron D, while not wonderful, should be
    accpetable.

    RM
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:18:33 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Oops. I posted the wrong link in my previous post.
    >
    >http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html

    For comparison, here's HP:

    IBM:

    Toshiba:

    Hmm.. in coma prison, Dell doesn't look so bad.. Oh, and here's for
    Apple:

    That kind of proves the original posters point.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    > As compared to the laptop you originally inquired about, gateway offers
    > an attractive alternative (although the link hints darkly that
    > availability may not be certain):
    >
    > http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/m520cs.shtml
    >
    > The m520cs comes with a Celeron D processor, which has 256k of cache, as
    > opposed to the 128k of the Dell you inquired about. The price is lower,
    > and the performance of the Celeron D, while not wonderful, should be
    > accpetable.
    >
    > RM

    I followed up on RM's advice and checked into the Gateway deal. The
    following is what they offer for $949 with the rebate. What do you
    guys think? Any changes I should make to the specs, given my light
    usage?(And should I spring for the extended 3-year warranty for an
    extra $160?)

    Gateway M520CS Plus

    PRODUCT DETAILS

    Rebate: $100 Mail-In Rebate (Limited Time Promotion -- not
    reflected in price)

    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Application Software: Microsoft® Works 7.0
    AntiVirus Software: Norton AnitVirus 90 day introductory offer
    Processor: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53GHz)
    Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM (2-256MB modules)
    Hard Drive: 60GB 4200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive
    Floppy Drive: Integrated 6-in-1 card reader
    Optical Drive: Integrated 24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD combo
    Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Notebook Value
    Service Plan -- 1 year parts/labor/no on-site/1 year technical support
    Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
    External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
    Screen: 15" XGA TFT Active Matrix
    Video: Integrated Intel® graphics with 32MB UMA memory technology
    Keyboard and Mouse: Full-Sized Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
    Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers,
    headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks
    Speakers: External speakers not selected
    Battery: High-capacity lithium ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr.
    limited battery warranty
    Modem: Integrated V.92 56K modem
    Network Adapter: Integrated Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
    Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet
    access
    Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g
    wireless networking card

    ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

    Processor:
    Intel® Celeron™ D processor 325

    System Architecture:
    Intel® 82852GME system chipset
    PCI bus v2.2

    Bios:
    AMI® 52.00.06
    512kb Fflash Rom
    SMBIOS (DMI) 2.3 support
    ACPI 2.0 support
    Wired for Management 2.0

    Display:
    15.0" XGA TFT Active Matrix Color Display
    Max resolution: 1024 x 768
    Max color depth: 32-bit (16.7million colors)

    Audio:
    Conexant AMOM audio chipset
    Soundblaster® Pro, Midi and Windows® Sound System Compatible
    3D sound support
    64-channel wavetable synthesis
    Integrated speakers
    Headphone and external microphone ports
    Line-in jack
    Keyboard volume and mute controls

    I/O Ports:
    1 x IEEE 1394 (4 pin)
    1 x type II PC card slot
    4 x version 2.0 USB ports
    VGA port
    1 x RJ11
    1 x RJ45
    Headphone jack
    Microphone jack
    Line-in jack
    Kensington lock
    Power input

    Dimensions:
    14"(W) x 10.4"(D) x 1.6"(H)

    Weight :
    7.5 pounds (with combo drive and 8-cell battery)

    Power supply:
    19VDC, 6.3A, 120 W output
    100-240V input voltage
    50/60hz frequency

    System management:
    SMBIOS 2.3 BIOS support
    ACPI v2.0 Power Management support
    Intel landesk® Client Manager 6.0
    Wake-on-LAN from S3 power mode
    WFM v2.0
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    "ralgam" <ralgam@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better
    performance than a comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor.

    > What manufacturer would you recommend, considering I may need to use
    > the technical support?

    HPQ would probably fit best for what you look for. Mature designs,
    competitive prices, support and warranty and a choice of CPUs beyond just
    one manufacturer.

    K.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On 10 Sep 2004 16:35:12 -0700, ralgam@aol.com (ralgam) wrote:

    >> As compared to the laptop you originally inquired about, gateway offers
    >> an attractive alternative (although the link hints darkly that
    >> availability may not be certain):
    >>
    >> http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/m520cs.shtml
    >>
    >> The m520cs comes with a Celeron D processor, which has 256k of cache, as
    >> opposed to the 128k of the Dell you inquired about. The price is lower,
    >> and the performance of the Celeron D, while not wonderful, should be
    >> accpetable.
    >>
    >> RM
    >
    >I followed up on RM's advice and checked into the Gateway deal. The
    >following is what they offer for $949 with the rebate. What do you
    >guys think?

    Definitely better than the Dell's you were looking at, at least from a
    component standpoint. I don't know how the quality compares to Dell,
    though I doubt it's much different. Dell, HPaq and Gateway have
    probably all completely outsourced their notebook design/production to
    Compal or Quanta in Taiwan anyway, so their probably more or less
    identical.

    > Any changes I should make to the specs, given my light
    >usage?(And should I spring for the extended 3-year warranty for an
    >extra $160?)

    IMO yes. Notebooks are *expensive* to service when they are out of
    warranty.

    >Gateway M520CS Plus
    >
    >PRODUCT DETAILS
    >
    > Rebate: $100 Mail-In Rebate (Limited Time Promotion -- not
    >reflected in price)
    >
    >Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    >Application Software: Microsoft® Works 7.0
    >AntiVirus Software: Norton AnitVirus 90 day introductory offer
    >Processor: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53GHz)

    Should be quite a bit faster than the old-style 2.6GHz Celeron in the
    Dell.

    >Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM (2-256MB modules)

    Good! 512MB is the minimum I would aim for these days.

    >Hard Drive: 60GB 4200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive

    If you can get a 5400rpm drive instead here, you would probably be
    better off. Even a 40GB drive should be large enough, but a fast hard
    drive is one of the most noticeable improvements you can make when it
    comes to the warm, fuzzy feel of the computer being fast.

    >Floppy Drive: Integrated 6-in-1 card reader
    >Optical Drive: Integrated 24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD combo
    >Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Notebook Value
    >Service Plan -- 1 year parts/labor/no on-site/1 year technical support
    >Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
    >External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
    >Screen: 15" XGA TFT Active Matrix
    >Video: Integrated Intel® graphics with 32MB UMA memory technology
    >Keyboard and Mouse: Full-Sized Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
    >Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers,
    >headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks
    >Speakers: External speakers not selected
    >Battery: High-capacity lithium ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr.
    >limited battery warranty
    >Modem: Integrated V.92 56K modem
    >Network Adapter: Integrated Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

    All of the above seems fairly standard, all should be reasonable. You
    might find the video card a bit weak if you were playing some games,
    but for how you've described your needs it should be quite sufficient.

    >Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet
    >access

    Please do not sign up for this! Somehow using America Online seems to
    lower people's intelligence! :>

    >Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g
    >wireless networking card

    Nice addition, should be useful in the future even if you don't have
    wireless right now.

    >Weight :
    >7.5 pounds (with combo drive and 8-cell battery)

    Keep in mind that this is fairly heavy. You won't want to be lugging
    this around too much, though if it will mostly be used at a desk and
    just needs occasional transport than it should be fine.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On 9 Sep 2004 11:40:16 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <41407009.4895282B@netscape.net>, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>ralgam wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was going to purchase a Dell inspiron 1100 or 1150, but then I
    >>> started reading about the celeron processor and thought maybe the
    >>> inspiron wasn't such a good idea. Here's my problem: I am not very
    >>> computer savvy, so I want to purchase a computer with good technical
    >>> support. But from what I've been reading, the only good technical
    >>> support is from Apple. Being that I have to buy a pc clone, what do I
    >>> do? (I'm only going to use the laptop for word processing, simple
    >>> spreadsheets, lots of web surfing, and burning some CDs.) Any advice
    >>> would be appreciated!
    >>
    >>Get one with an Athlon XP processor. You will get much better performance
    >>than a comparably priced notebook with a Celeron processor. Apple is
    >>selling many notebooks, however the prices on those aren't so low, and
    >>there is much more software available for a pc than for a Mac.
    >>

    >To say "purchase a laptop with an athlon" is not much help to the OP
    >since the quality and support have everything to do with brand, not
    >the CPU. The OP's hot button is support, and Dell generally does that
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    >better than most. Dell is on everyone's short list of good x86
    >laptops, along with Toshiba and IBM.
    >
    >Apple got top marks on the recent PC Magazine support satisfaction
    >survey. You can bring $1200 to the Apple store and come out with a
    >very nice laptop. There are not many $1200 x86 laptops I'd want.
    >An Apple will save the OP save $40/year by avoiding the expense
    >of AV software.
    >
    >To say there is "lots more software for the PC" is questionable, and
    >irrelevant unless the OP wants to do something that MAC can't do,
    >which these means business applications and some games.
    >
    >Celeron is fine in a laptop, if it's a good laptop, and you are going
    >to do word processing, internet browsing, and email.
    With all my due respect your opinion is quite outdated. Maybe Dell
    support used to be good a few years ago (even that was quite
    questionable). However _now_ that Dell sent off its customer support
    to India it's quality is, well, Indian, to say the least. The
    corporate lines of equipment, including Latitude notebooks, are still
    being supported stateside (the corporate ITs went berserk when Dell
    attempted to route their support requests to India, so Dell
    backpedaled on that). But these are in a way higher price range.
    Besides, all today's laptops are manufactured on Taiwan these days. I
    am sure one can find the same Inspirion, just without Dell logo, much
    cheaper somewhere on the Internet. Try Pricewatch.com search. Look
    at the spec, not the logo. That said, I'd rather go for Athlon-based
    notebook, unless extra long battery life is a must - in that respect,
    Centrino is unbeatable.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:47:37 GMT, "nobody@nowhere.net"
    <mygarbage2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >With all my due respect your opinion is quite outdated. Maybe Dell
    >support used to be good a few years ago (even that was quite
    >questionable). However _now_ that Dell sent off its customer support
    >to India it's quality is, well, Indian, to say the least. The
    >corporate lines of equipment, including Latitude notebooks, are still
    >being supported stateside (the corporate ITs went berserk when Dell
    >attempted to route their support requests to India, so Dell
    >backpedaled on that).

    Note that this is true for basically all the major OEMs these days.
    For US customers, consumer-grade products have had their support in
    call centers in India while corporate-grade products have their call
    centers in Canada. In fact, I know for certain that at least some
    HPaq business computers are supported in India as well.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Support is *EXPENSIVE*!
    Most people don't realize just how expensive it is. To give you an
    idea, calling a tech support center in Canada usually costs the
    company over a dollar (US) for every minute on the phone. given that
    most PCs sell with a profit margin of something like $20, two calls to
    support or a single replacement part usually blows away all the profit
    made on that PC. US call centers are even more expensive, while those
    in India probably drop the per-minute cost down to about $0.75 (very
    rough guess).

    Tony Hill

CPUs Celeron