Leave Dell 4600 PC Always On?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2004 5:07:33 AM

I'm using a brand new Dell 4600 PC as a home network server. It gets
accessed only about 2 hours every night, except on weekends where it
is on 24/7. I noticed that everytime I power it down, its drive letter
designation disappears from the other 3 computers that share its
drive. So everytime I turn it on, I have to re-map the network drive
all over again at each of the 3 computers.

Wouldn't it be better to just leave it on all the time, but just turn
off the LCD monitor that came with it? Is there a power management
setting that will put the PC and its drives/memory to sleep when not
in use? What are the risks of doing this, and do the advantages (not
having to remap the drives) outweigh the disadvantages (risk of fire,
hardware failure, etc.)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : leave dell 4600

September 12, 2004 2:23:38 PM

It is a toss up. Some people think PCs should be left on all the time,
while others like to power them down if they won't be used for four hours
or more.
Every time the pc is powered up there is extra stress on the components.
Having a PC run many more hours than necessary is also stressful. Keeping
it on all the time consumes plenty of power. I personally usually power
down my system twice a day. Others keep theirs running all the time. If
you do keep
it running all the time, you might find out that you need to reboot the
system at
least once a week(or perhaps even much more often) to keep Windows working

smoothly.

Filipo wrote:

> I'm using a brand new Dell 4600 PC as a home network server. It gets
> accessed only about 2 hours every night, except on weekends where it
> is on 24/7. I noticed that everytime I power it down, its drive letter
> designation disappears from the other 3 computers that share its
> drive. So everytime I turn it on, I have to re-map the network drive
> all over again at each of the 3 computers.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to just leave it on all the time, but just turn
> off the LCD monitor that came with it? Is there a power management
> setting that will put the PC and its drives/memory to sleep when not
> in use? What are the risks of doing this, and do the advantages (not
> having to remap the drives) outweigh the disadvantages (risk of fire,
> hardware failure, etc.)?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2004 12:41:56 AM

On 12 Sep 2004 01:07:33 -0700, fooltergeist@yahoo.com (Filipo) wrote:

>I'm using a brand new Dell 4600 PC as a home network server. It gets
>accessed only about 2 hours every night, except on weekends where it
>is on 24/7. I noticed that everytime I power it down, its drive letter
>designation disappears from the other 3 computers that share its
>drive. So everytime I turn it on, I have to re-map the network drive
>all over again at each of the 3 computers.
>
>Wouldn't it be better to just leave it on all the time, but just turn
>off the LCD monitor that came with it? Is there a power management
>setting that will put the PC and its drives/memory to sleep when not
>in use? What are the risks of doing this, and do the advantages (not
>having to remap the drives) outweigh the disadvantages (risk of fire,
>hardware failure, etc.)?
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's amazing what people will call "servers" these days...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2004 1:24:07 AM

daytripper wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2004 01:07:33 -0700, fooltergeist@yahoo.com (Filipo) wrote:
>
> >I'm using a brand new Dell 4600 PC as a home network server. It gets
> >accessed only about 2 hours every night, except on weekends where it
> >is on 24/7. I noticed that everytime I power it down, its drive letter
> >designation disappears from the other 3 computers that share its
> >drive. So everytime I turn it on, I have to re-map the network drive
> >all over again at each of the 3 computers.
> >
> >Wouldn't it be better to just leave it on all the time, but just turn
> >off the LCD monitor that came with it? Is there a power management
> >setting that will put the PC and its drives/memory to sleep when not
> >in use? What are the risks of doing this, and do the advantages (not
> >having to remap the drives) outweigh the disadvantages (risk of fire,
> >hardware failure, etc.)?
> >
> >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> It's amazing what people will call "servers" these days...

My P1 233MMX is a useful internet & backup fileserver for my other computers.
!