AMD's Athlon64 or Intel's P4?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2004 11:50:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
current primary/gaming system on
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...

I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).

Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
due to weak EAX emulation).

Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
etc.

Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.

Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
--

"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

More about : amd athlon64 intel

September 14, 2004 2:04:40 AM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> current primary/gaming system on
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
>
> I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
>
> Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> due to weak EAX emulation).
>
> Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> etc.
>
> Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> my system's age like DOOM 3,

Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

> Far Cry,

> etc. I do not overclock and my
> setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
> --
>
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2004 4:28:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

Yeah, I have seen that before. I wanted to get more confirmations from others.
It looks like AMD Athlon 64 will be my next CPU. Now, need to figure out the
motherboard brand and model. Any suggestions? I would like to get a stable
one that has been out more than 3-6 months so I can determine that it has
the known issues fixed, Debian's Kernel has the all the support, etc.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > current primary/gaming system on
> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> >
> > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> >
> > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > due to weak EAX emulation).
> >
> > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > etc.
> >
> > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> > my system's age like DOOM 3,

> Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.

> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

> > Far Cry,

> > etc. I do not overclock and my
> > setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> > upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2004 4:55:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

Seems to me like you have it nailed. Athlon 64, ASUS motherboard (I would
go for an Nforce3) Audigy 2. That's what I would pick. NVidia's Opengl
drivers are better according to some, so for a video card you may want to go
that route if you game in Linux.

JK

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
news:D JmdnVpdlZX63dvcRVn-qw@mminternet.net...
> Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> current primary/gaming system on
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
>
> I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
>
> Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> due to weak EAX emulation).
>
> Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> etc.
>
> Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
> setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
> --
>
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2004 4:55:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

Well, I am not ready to let go of this video card. I only had it for one year
and paid like $400 for it!! I think I can still get more FPS because my Athlon
2200+ XP is the bottleneck in getting more FPS.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Hall <johnhall11@rogers.com> wrote:
> Seems to me like you have it nailed. Athlon 64, ASUS motherboard (I would
> go for an Nforce3) Audigy 2. That's what I would pick. NVidia's Opengl
> drivers are better according to some, so for a video card you may want to go
> that route if you game in Linux.

> JK

> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> news:D JmdnVpdlZX63dvcRVn-qw@mminternet.net...
> > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > current primary/gaming system on
> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> >
> > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> >
> > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > due to weak EAX emulation).
> >
> > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > etc.
> >
> > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> > my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
> > setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> > upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
September 14, 2004 12:46:50 PM

> Yeah, I have seen that before. I wanted to get more confirmations from
others.
> It looks like AMD Athlon 64 will be my next CPU.

Be sure to go for a motherboard with the Socket 939 since this is the new
standard. The matching CPUs are somewhat more expensive since they just got
out, though..
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2004 3:41:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

Hello,

I want to do the same things like you (changing motherboard, CPU and RAM).
I'm using Debian Sarge and XP. I think about an AMD Athlon 64 (socket 939)
with an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinium motherboard.

Best regards

Ralph

 Ralph Stens
 email : ralph.stens@r-stens.de
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2004 9:01:32 PM

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Well, I am not ready to let go of this video card. I only had it for one year
> and paid like $400 for it!! I think I can still get more FPS because my Athlon
> 2200+ XP is the bottleneck in getting more FPS.

You should be aware then that there's no 64bit Linux driver for any ATi
cards. There's only a basic 2d driver supplied with X.org.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2004 11:03:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

I just got a chaintech cheapie $75 bucks off Newegg, socket 754 (no problem
since when I upgrade its usually time for new Ram and MB options anyhow),
working fine....just...not sure I'd recommend using a single SATA drive as
your only HD option, I can't seem to get my Seagate SATA drive to act as the
boot device reliably.....

If you go Socket 939, you'll be paying big bucks....the boards and chips are
expensive...with the extra money you spend on 939 you could probably upgrade
to a 939 chip and MB in a years time by just sticking with some 754 parts
today, getting the most out of them, and upgrading when the time comes.

Otherwise, the Chaintech is an NForce 3-250 board and has all the tweaks you
could want to overclock with, etc. A great bargain board. There are other
great boards out there, the DFI Lanparty II I think is the current king, but
its brand new and pricy I think......

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I have seen that before. I wanted to get more confirmations from
others.
> It looks like AMD Athlon 64 will be my next CPU. Now, need to figure out
the
> motherboard brand and model. Any suggestions? I would like to get a stable
> one that has been out more than 3-6 months so I can determine that it has
> the known issues fixed, Debian's Kernel has the all the support, etc.
>

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
>

> > ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
> > > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I
am
> > > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > > current primary/gaming system on
> > > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> > >
> > > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU,
and
> > > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches
from
> > > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> > >
> > > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its
LiveDrive)
> > > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > > due to weak EAX emulation).
> > >
> > > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red
Hat
> > > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to
show
> > > my system's age like DOOM 3,
>
> > Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.
>
> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
>
> > > Far Cry,
>
> > > etc. I do not overclock and my
> > > setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> > > upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for
me.

> > > Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
> --
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 2:09:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
news:D JmdnVpdlZX63dvcRVn-qw@mminternet.net...
> Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> current primary/gaming system on
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
>
> I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
>
> Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> due to weak EAX emulation).
>
> Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> etc.
>
> Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
> setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.

While AMD-64 is really nifty, especially for server class applications, it's
not really accessible yet to most game software. So the clock speed winds up
dominating a lot of that performance. For this year at least, consider using
Xeon's on a dual-CPU capable board and add the second CPU later if you need
it.

Hyperthreading on CPU's is useful for some applications, but also still
over-vaunted.
September 15, 2004 3:15:45 AM

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> news:D JmdnVpdlZX63dvcRVn-qw@mminternet.net...
> > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > current primary/gaming system on
> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> >
> > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> >
> > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > due to weak EAX emulation).
> >
> > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > etc.
> >
> > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> > my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
> > setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> > upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.
>
> While AMD-64 is really nifty, especially for server class applications, it's
> not really accessible yet to most game software.

What? The Athlon 64 does a great job of running 32 bit software. The integrated
memory controller(s) help provide great gaming performance.

> So the clock speed winds up dominating a lot of that performance.

Very funny. Clock speed is meaningless, unless you are comparing
otherwise identical chips. Architecture is what is important. Notice
that a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ beats an $820 Pentium 4 EE 3.2 ghz
running Doom 3.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

Even with its huge cache and much higher clock speed, the P4 3.2 ghz EE
doesn't beat an Athlon 64 3000+(which is 1/5th the cost) in Doom 3.

> For this year at least, consider using
> Xeon's on a dual-CPU capable board and add the second CPU later if you need
> it.

Most games won't benefit from having a second cpu in the system.

> Hyperthreading on CPU's is useful for some applications, but also still
> over-vaunted.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 3:47:37 AM

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>
> > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > current primary/gaming system on
> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> >
> > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> >
> > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > due to weak EAX emulation).
> >
> > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > etc.
> >
> > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to
show
> > my system's age like DOOM 3,
>
> Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

After carefully examining the numbers at the above link I have a few
observations.

First there is a huge price step up from the AMD Athlon 64 3000 + at
$205.00
to the next Athlon chip tested, the 3500 + at $347.00 . That's over a
hundred bucks for only 7 FPS increase
at 1280 X 1024 resolution. With that in mind, I might choose the cheaper AMD
chip as being
a good performance/cost option , but I'd still consider one of the P IV
based combos
in that price range depending on test results with other games, including
those still to be tested after
release, like HL2, for instance.

Also, thanks to the competition from AMD, Intel prices have dropped 25%.
That has yet to be reflected at retail level, but in the coming weeks it
should start to show up.

FWIW, my P-IV 3.0Ghz based system using a Radeon 9800 pro
gets a steady 60 FPS according to the timedemo I just ran.

mjs

http://www.soundclick.com/theageofreason
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 3:47:38 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Michael Starke <mikestarke_remove_@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> > > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > > current primary/gaming system on
> > > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> > >
> > > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> > > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> > > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> > >
> > > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> > > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > > due to weak EAX emulation).
> > >
> > > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> > > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to
> show
> > > my system's age like DOOM 3,
> >
> > Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.
> >
> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

> After carefully examining the numbers at the above link I have a few
> observations.

> First there is a huge price step up from the AMD Athlon 64 3000 + at
> $205.00
> to the next Athlon chip tested, the 3500 + at $347.00 . That's over a
> hundred bucks for only 7 FPS increase
> at 1280 X 1024 resolution. With that in mind, I might choose the cheaper AMD
> chip as being
> a good performance/cost option , but I'd still consider one of the P IV
> based combos
> in that price range depending on test results with other games, including
> those still to be tested after
> release, like HL2, for instance.

> Also, thanks to the competition from AMD, Intel prices have dropped 25%.
> That has yet to be reflected at retail level, but in the coming weeks it
> should start to show up.

> FWIW, my P-IV 3.0Ghz based system using a Radeon 9800 pro
> gets a steady 60 FPS according to the timedemo I just ran.

What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality setting
in DOOM 3, all details at maximum, anistropic at max, no FSAA, etc., I
get about 27 FPS according to timedemo. 29 on the second run due to
caching. This was on my current Athlon XP 2200+ system.
--

Michael Starke wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >

> > ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> > > going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> > > current primary/gaming system on
> > > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> > >
> > > I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> > > motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> > > an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> > > reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> > > system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> > > which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> > >
> > > Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> > > to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> > > due to weak EAX emulation).
> > >
> > > Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> > > Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to
> show
> > > my system's age like DOOM 3,
> >
> > Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.
> >
> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
>
> After carefully examining the numbers at the above link I have a few
> observations.
>
> First there is a huge price step up from the AMD Athlon 64 3000 + at
> $205.00

More like $160 now.

> to the next Athlon chip tested, the 3500 + at $347.00 .

The have the Athlon 64 3400+ listed, which is around $280.

> That's over a
> hundred bucks for only 7 FPS increase
> at 1280 X 1024 resolution.

The 1280x1024 numbers show less difference than the 800x 600
for as a faster Athlon 64 is used, as the video card is starting to
become the limiting factor.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...

> With that in mind, I might choose the cheaper AMD
> chip as being
> a good performance/cost option

The Athlon 64 3000+ is a great value at around $160. A much better
idea than a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz similar in cost.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=206...

> , but I'd still consider one of the P IV
> based combos
> in that price range depending on test results with other games, including
> those still to be tested after
> release, like HL2, for instance.
>
> Also, thanks to the competition from AMD, Intel prices have dropped 25%.
> That has yet to be reflected at retail level, but in the coming weeks it
> should start to show up.
>
> FWIW, my P-IV 3.0Ghz based system using a Radeon 9800 pro
> gets a steady 60 FPS according to the timedemo I just ran.
>
> mjs
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/theageofreason
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 6:25:19 AM

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@comcast.net> wrote in message

> While AMD-64 is really nifty, especially for server class applications,

I didn't know that. Do you have a link that compares Athlon 64
favorably with the P4 for server applications?

Let the benchmarks show that the Athlon 64 is really really nifty for
_game_ class applications.

>it's
> not really accessible yet to most game software.

I didn't know that either. Which games are inaccessible with the
Athlon 64?

>So the clock speed winds up
> dominating a lot of that performance. For this year at least, consider using
> Xeon's

This is the worst possible choice you can make. Using a CPU that is
much more expensive than an Athlon 64 requiring a much more expensive
motherboard for negative gain in game performance.

>on a dual-CPU capable board and add the second CPU later if you need
> it.

I know Falcon 4 and Quake 1 can use SMP with some effort, do you play
one of these? Or do you play something else that can?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 6:27:36 AM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:50:47 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
>going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
>current primary/gaming system on
>http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
>
>I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
>motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
>an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
>reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
>system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
>which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
>
>Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
>to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
>due to weak EAX emulation).
>
>Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
>Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
>etc.
>
>Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
>my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
>setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
>upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
>
>Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.

Given your requirements I would say that the Athlon64 is the clear
choice. The bang for your buck in games is far better than what Intel
has to offer. Other than that it's mainly just a question of how much
money you have to spend on what parts. The video card you've got is
already quite good and the other components all look like they'll be
up to the task.

About the only trick that you might run into is that many new
motherboards only come with 2 IDE controllers, enough for 4 devices.
It looks like your system has 5 IDE devices. Often the extra parallel
IDE connectors have been dropped in favor of Serial ATA ones, though
there are at least a few boards less with 3 IDE controllers (I know
Asus' A8V Deluxe has them).

Switching one (or more) of the hard drives to SATA would be another
solution, though here you have to watch out for driver support in
Linux which is still a bit weak.

Other than that, I'd say you're on the right path. Even the heat
thing should be a tiny bit better for the Athlon64 with it's "Cool 'n
Quiet" technology and lower maximum power consumption when compared to
the P4.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 8:04:27 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:50:47 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> >
> >Hello. I am planning to upgrade my computer system in a few weeks. I am
> >going to replace its motherboard, CPU, and memory. You can view my
> >current primary/gaming system on
> >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.tx... ...
> >
> >I am planning to keep all my old parts except sound card, RAM, CPU, and
> >motherboard. Now, the question is which CPU and which motherboard (was
> >an ASUS person in the past) do I want to get. From brief researches from
> >reading benchmarks, AMD Athlon64 seems like a good choice for a gaming
> >system. I read that Intel P4 CPUs does a better job with video stuff
> >which I rarely do (mostly cropping and encoding with DivX).
> >
> >Also, I plan to replace my old SB Live! Platinum (without its LiveDrive)
> >to an Audigy2 (good EAX) or maybe a M-Audio Revolutions (probably not
> >due to weak EAX emulation).
> >
> >Also, I will be installing Debian with Windows XP Pro to replace Red Hat
> >Linux 7.2. Yes, I do game in Linux with old games like Q3A, RTCW, ET,
> >etc.
> >
> >Mainly, this upgrade is for gaming. The newest games are starting to show
> >my system's age like DOOM 3, Far Cry, etc. I do not overclock and my
> >setup must be able to survive in a 85+ degrees(F) room (AC is weak,
> >upstair room, and Southern CA's heat waves). Heat is a big issue for me.
> >
> >Any suggestions on what I should get for my upgrade is welcomed.

> Given your requirements I would say that the Athlon64 is the clear
> choice. The bang for your buck in games is far better than what Intel
> has to offer. Other than that it's mainly just a question of how much
> money you have to spend on what parts. The video card you've got is
> already quite good and the other components all look like they'll be
> up to the task.

> About the only trick that you might run into is that many new
> motherboards only come with 2 IDE controllers, enough for 4 devices.
> It looks like your system has 5 IDE devices. Often the extra parallel
> IDE connectors have been dropped in favor of Serial ATA ones, though
> there are at least a few boards less with 3 IDE controllers (I know
> Asus' A8V Deluxe has them).

Yeah, I believe my hardware friend activated the Raid controller (not
sure of the details) to use the 120 GB HDD. I had to get a new PSU
because it didn't have enouh juice due to the HDD AND the video card.
Sheesh.

> Switching one (or more) of the hard drives to SATA would be another
> solution, though here you have to watch out for driver support in
> Linux which is still a bit weak.

Yeah, that is why I am thinking of getting an older motherboard like
754 so drivers do exist. Also, helps ot determine what is stable out
there and save money. I do NOT need the latest and newest stuff!

> Other than that, I'd say you're on the right path. Even the heat
> thing should be a tiny bit better for the Athlon64 with it's "Cool 'n
> Quiet" technology and lower maximum power consumption when compared to
> the P4.

How about comparing to the Athlon XP?
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 11:17:36 AM

LiveDrive)

Hat
ET,

> > show
> > >
> > > Since you mentioned Doom 3, I thought you would like to see this.
> > >
> > > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
>
> > After carefully examining the numbers at the above link I have a few
> > observations.
>
> > First there is a huge price step up from the AMD Athlon 64 3000 + at
> > $205.00
> > to the next Athlon chip tested, the 3500 + at $347.00 . That's over a
> > hundred bucks for only 7 FPS increase
> > at 1280 X 1024 resolution. With that in mind, I might choose the cheaper
AMD
> > chip as being
> > a good performance/cost option , but I'd still consider one of the P IV
> > based combos
> > in that price range depending on test results with other games,
including
> > those still to be tested after
> > release, like HL2, for instance.
>
> > Also, thanks to the competition from AMD, Intel prices have dropped 25%.
> > That has yet to be reflected at retail level, but in the coming weeks it
> > should start to show up.
>
> > FWIW, my P-IV 3.0Ghz based system using a Radeon 9800 pro
> > gets a steady 60 FPS according to the timedemo I just ran.
>
> What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality setting
> in DOOM 3, all details at maximum, anistropic at max, no FSAA, etc., I
> get about 27 FPS according to timedemo. 29 on the second run due to
> caching. This was on my current Athlon XP 2200+ system.

I used the same settings as the Anandtech tests and got very similar results
for my CPU as shown on their charts.

mjs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 11:17:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Michael Starke <mikestarke_remove_@comcast.net> wrote:

> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

> am

> and
> (was
> from
> gaming

> LiveDrive)
> not

> Hat
> ET,

> > > show

> > > After carefully examining the numbers at the above link I have a few
> > > observations.
> >
> > > First there is a huge price step up from the AMD Athlon 64 3000 + at
> > > $205.00
> > > to the next Athlon chip tested, the 3500 + at $347.00 . That's over a
> > > hundred bucks for only 7 FPS increase
> > > at 1280 X 1024 resolution. With that in mind, I might choose the cheaper
> AMD
> > > chip as being
> > > a good performance/cost option , but I'd still consider one of the P IV
> > > based combos
> > > in that price range depending on test results with other games,
> including
> > > those still to be tested after
> > > release, like HL2, for instance.
> >
> > > Also, thanks to the competition from AMD, Intel prices have dropped 25%.
> > > That has yet to be reflected at retail level, but in the coming weeks it
> > > should start to show up.
> >
> > > FWIW, my P-IV 3.0Ghz based system using a Radeon 9800 pro
> > > gets a steady 60 FPS according to the timedemo I just ran.
> >
> > What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality setting
> > in DOOM 3, all details at maximum, anistropic at max, no FSAA, etc., I
> > get about 27 FPS according to timedemo. 29 on the second run due to
> > caching. This was on my current Athlon XP 2200+ system.

> I used the same settings as the Anandtech tests and got very similar results
> for my CPU as shown on their charts.

Ah, what do you use to play then? I am curious of your FPS with my type
of settings in the game.
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 12:27:06 PM

> Very funny. Clock speed is meaningless, unless you are comparing
> otherwise identical chips. Architecture is what is important. Notice
> that a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ beats an $820 Pentium 4 EE 3.2 ghz
> running Doom 3.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
>
> Even with its huge cache and much higher clock speed, the P4 3.2 ghz EE
> doesn't beat an Athlon 64 3000+(which is 1/5th the cost) in Doom 3.

Which is fabulous, and I'd be glad to be wrong because I consider Intel to
be incredible thieves for their wholesale theft of DEC's Alpha technologies
to create the Pentium. But Doom 3 is the way-high-end of modern games,
written with 64-bits in mind: how does it do on *other* games, say a year
old?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 12:32:49 PM

"Piet Pompie" <luilekkerland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> > While AMD-64 is really nifty, especially for server class applications,
>
> I didn't know that. Do you have a link that compares Athlon 64
> favorably with the P4 for server applications?

I've been talking to vendors for Beowulf clusters, and other Beowulf
facilities. They're very excited by 64-bit, especially for extremely large
data sets.

> Let the benchmarks show that the Athlon 64 is really really nifty for
> _game_ class applications.
>
> >it's
> > not really accessible yet to most game software.
>
> I didn't know that either. Which games are inaccessible with the
> Athlon 64?

It'll *play* them, my (admittedly off-the-cuff-reports from acquaintances)
is that you don't see the speed performances with slightly older games like
Max Payne or Halo.

> >So the clock speed winds up
> > dominating a lot of that performance. For this year at least, consider
using
> > Xeon's
>
> This is the worst possible choice you can make. Using a CPU that is
> much more expensive than an Athlon 64 requiring a much more expensive
> motherboard for negative gain in game performance.
>
> >on a dual-CPU capable board and add the second CPU later if you need
> > it.
>
> I know Falcon 4 and Quake 1 can use SMP with some effort, do you play
> one of these? Or do you play something else that can?

No, my experience is more with server class rack machines and some user
desktops (several hundred of each right now). I get *great* markdowns on
Xeons and Xeon motherboards right now, and not many vendors are carrying AMD
based systems. But if you do go that route, I really like
www.pcsforeveryone.com. Good service, Linux friendly, and their pricing web
page is very usable.
September 15, 2004 12:46:22 PM

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
> > Very funny. Clock speed is meaningless, unless you are comparing
> > otherwise identical chips. Architecture is what is important. Notice
> > that a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ beats an $820 Pentium 4 EE 3.2 ghz
> > running Doom 3.
> >
> > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=214...
> >
> > Even with its huge cache and much higher clock speed, the P4 3.2 ghz EE
> > doesn't beat an Athlon 64 3000+(which is 1/5th the cost) in Doom 3.
>
> Which is fabulous, and I'd be glad to be wrong because I consider Intel to
> be incredible thieves for their wholesale theft of DEC's Alpha technologies
> to create the Pentium. But Doom 3 is the way-high-end of modern games,
> written with 64-bits in mind:

There isn't a 64 bit version of Doom 3 out yet. Those benchmarks are for
the only version of Doom 3, which is 32 bit. I am expecting that with the the
64
bit version of Doom 3 Athlon 64 performance should really be awesome. I
wonder if it will be a porting of Doom 3 to 64 bits, or if many additional
features will be added as well, and if it might even use a name like Doom 4?

> how does it do on *other* games, say a year
> old?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=206...

What I am really excited about is how they will perform with 64 bit versions
of
games. We don't have any benchmarks yet, however I expect them to be awesome.
September 15, 2004 1:03:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

To compare power consumption statistics see

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> [...]
> 754 so drivers do exist. Also, helps ot determine what is stable out
> there and save money. I do NOT need the latest and newest stuff!
>
> > Other than that, I'd say you're on the right path. Even the heat
> > thing should be a tiny bit better for the Athlon64 with it's "Cool 'n
> > Quiet" technology and lower maximum power consumption when compared to
> > the P4.
>
> How about comparing to the Athlon XP?
> --
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
September 15, 2004 1:12:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:17:36 GMT, "Michael Starke"
<mikestarke_remove_@comcast.net> wrote:

>What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality setting
>> in DOOM 3, all details at maximum, anistropic at max
How do you turn on anistropic in DOOM3 ? Are you turning it on through
the driver or from somewhere in doom ?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 2:57:28 PM

In article news:<lgH1d.43537$MQ5.22549@attbi_s52>, HeadRusch wrote:
> If you go Socket 939, you'll be paying big bucks....the boards and
> chips are expensive...

True, but not really fair.

The difference in motherboard prices isn't /that/ great -- and you do get
rather more for your money.

The difference in CPU prices can be explained by the fact that the S939 A64s
are generally faster than the S754 A64s. Only the fastest S754 A64 (3700) is
faster than the slowest S939 A64 (3500) -- and it also costs more. Add a few
things like support for dual-channel RAM with S939 and it's clear that the
extra cost may be worthwhile if you have applications that will benefit from a
really high-spec system today.

Cheers,
Daniel.
September 15, 2004 3:05:23 PM

On 15 Sep 2004 02:25:19 -0700, luilekkerland@hotmail.com (Piet Pompie)
wrote:

>I didn't know that. Do you have a link that compares Athlon 64
>favorably with the P4 for server applications?

About a month ago there was a page comparing running UT2004 servers on
AMD and Intel in 32 and 64bit, unfortunately I don't know where it is.
The end result was that the reviewer could run four servers on one CPU
in 64bit compared to three in 32bit (either AMD or Intel).
September 15, 2004 3:05:24 PM

Andrew wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2004 02:25:19 -0700, luilekkerland@hotmail.com (Piet Pompie)
> wrote:
>
> >I didn't know that. Do you have a link that compares Athlon 64
> >favorably with the P4 for server applications?

The Athlon 64 is the desktop version of the Opteron. Servers typically use

one, two or four Opterons. The Opterons come in the 100 series for single
use,
the 200 series for dual use, and the 800 series for 4 way use(why didn't
AMD
call this the 400 series?). Opteron systems use registered ECC ddr ram.

http://www.anandtech.com/searchresults.aspx

Pay particular attention to

http://www.anandtech.com/searchresults.aspx

for 64 bit performance.

AMD has also released the models Opteron 240 EE and Opteron 840 EE
which only use 30 watts each(they are much more expensive though than
the higher power consuming versions of those chips). There are also the
55 watt Opteron 246 HE and Opteron 846 HE.

> About a month ago there was a page comparing running UT2004 servers on
> AMD and Intel in 32 and 64bit, unfortunately I don't know where it is.
> The end result was that the reviewer could run four servers on one CPU
> in 64bit compared to three in 32bit (either AMD or Intel).
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 7:55:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

If you run Doom 3 in High Quality video mode, then you automatically get
anistropic filtering.

JK

"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:17:36 GMT, "Michael Starke"
> <mikestarke_remove_@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality setting
>>> in DOOM 3, all details at maximum, anistropic at max
> How do you turn on anistropic in DOOM3 ? Are you turning it on through
> the driver or from somewhere in doom ?
September 15, 2004 7:55:05 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:55:04 GMT, "John Hall" <johnhall11@rogers.com>
wrote:

>If you run Doom 3 in High Quality video mode, then you automatically get
>anistropic filtering.

Ohhh

>JK
>
>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:17:36 GMT, "Michael Starke"
>> <mikestarke_remove_@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality setting
>> How do you turn on anistropic in DOOM3 ? Are you turning it on through
>> the driver or from somewhere in doom ?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2004 9:07:25 PM

> Well, I am not ready to let go of this video card. I only had it for one
year
> and paid like $400 for it!!

Then you can probably still get a very good price for it on Ebay or
something :)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2004 12:34:39 AM

In comp.os.linux.setup Jamie_Manic <mmmm...pork rind> wrote:

> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I am not ready to let go of this video card. I only had it for one
> year
> > and paid like $400 for it!!

> Then you can probably still get a very good price for it on Ebay or
> something :)

Bah! I am keeping it until it is time to retire it. :p
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2004 12:37:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

Nice. It looks like minor more usage over Athlon 2200+.

In comp.os.linux.setup JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
> To compare power consumption statistics see

> http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

> > > Given your requirements I would say that the Athlon64 is the clear
> > > choice. The bang for your buck in games is far better than what Intel
> > > has to offer. Other than that it's mainly just a question of how much
> > > money you have to spend on what parts. The video card you've got is
> > > already quite good and the other components all look like they'll be
> > > up to the task.
> >
> > > About the only trick that you might run into is that many new
> > > motherboards only come with 2 IDE controllers, enough for 4 devices.
> > > It looks like your system has 5 IDE devices. Often the extra parallel
> > > IDE connectors have been dropped in favor of Serial ATA ones, though
> > > there are at least a few boards less with 3 IDE controllers (I know
> > > Asus' A8V Deluxe has them).
> >
> > Yeah, I believe my hardware friend activated the Raid controller (not
> > sure of the details) to use the 120 GB HDD. I had to get a new PSU
> > because it didn't have enouh juice due to the HDD AND the video card.
> > Sheesh.
> >
> > > Switching one (or more) of the hard drives to SATA would be another
> > > solution, though here you have to watch out for driver support in
> > > Linux which is still a bit weak.
> >
> > Yeah, that is why I am thinking of getting an older motherboard like
> > 754 so drivers do exist. Also, helps ot determine what is stable out
> > there and save money. I do NOT need the latest and newest stuff!
> >
> > > Other than that, I'd say you're on the right path. Even the heat
> > > thing should be a tiny bit better for the Athlon64 with it's "Cool 'n
> > > Quiet" technology and lower maximum power consumption when compared to
> > > the P4.
> >
> > How about comparing to the Athlon XP?
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2004 4:19:01 AM

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Michael Starke
<mikestarke_remove_@comcast.net> wrote:

> > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

> > am

CPU,
> > and
> > (was
> > from
> > gaming

> > LiveDrive)
> > not

Red
> > Hat
RTCW,
> > ET,

> > AMD
IV
> > including

> > > What resolution and stuff? At 1152x864 resolution, High Quality
setting
> > > in DOOM 3, all details at maximum, anistropic at max, no FSAA, etc., I
> > > get about 27 FPS according to timedemo. 29 on the second run due to
> > > caching. This was on my current Athlon XP 2200+ system.
>
> > I used the same settings as the Anandtech tests and got very similar
results
> > for my CPU as shown on their charts.
>
> Ah, what do you use to play then? I am curious of your FPS with my type
> of settings in the game?

With your settings I got 28 FPS on the first pass and 33FPS on the 2nd.

I usually don't enable Anistropic filtering but use 2X FSAA.
Maybe I should use your settings since I get a slight boost of 3 FPS without
the FSAA.

P-4 3GHz Northwood
Asus P4P 800 Deluxe
1GB RAM in dual channel (512X2)
Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
Win 2000 Pro

mjs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2004 5:44:20 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 04:04:27 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> About the only trick that you might run into is that many new
>> motherboards only come with 2 IDE controllers, enough for 4 devices.
>> It looks like your system has 5 IDE devices. Often the extra parallel
>> IDE connectors have been dropped in favor of Serial ATA ones, though
>> there are at least a few boards less with 3 IDE controllers (I know
>> Asus' A8V Deluxe has them).
>
>Yeah, I believe my hardware friend activated the Raid controller (not
>sure of the details) to use the 120 GB HDD. I had to get a new PSU
>because it didn't have enouh juice due to the HDD AND the video card.
>Sheesh.

Hehe, yup. On the upside, that new power supply should be sufficient
for your new system. If you hadn't upgraded previously you probably
would have needed to upgrade for this CPU upgrade.

>> Switching one (or more) of the hard drives to SATA would be another
>> solution, though here you have to watch out for driver support in
>> Linux which is still a bit weak.
>
>Yeah, that is why I am thinking of getting an older motherboard like
>754 so drivers do exist. Also, helps ot determine what is stable out
>there and save money. I do NOT need the latest and newest stuff!

Even the older Socket 754 stuff could well be a bit weak on SATA
driver support in Linux. Generally speaking this has been very slow
to be implemented properly.

>> Other than that, I'd say you're on the right path. Even the heat
>> thing should be a tiny bit better for the Athlon64 with it's "Cool 'n
>> Quiet" technology and lower maximum power consumption when compared to
>> the P4.
>
>How about comparing to the Athlon XP?

Tough call. AMD changed the way that they report power consumption on
their chips with the Athlon64 line. Previously they had listed a
maximum power consumption for each individual processor with the
AthlonXP. With the new Athlon64s they are just listing a maximum
power consumption for the entire line (ie "if your system meets these
specs you can use ANY Athlon64 built on a 130nm process"). So as a
result the lowly Athlon64 2800+ is listed with the same power
consumption as the as-yet-unreleased Athlon64 FX 55, despite the fact
that the latter consumes quite a bit more power.

In the end though, from what I've seen the Athlon64 2800+ will
probably have about the same maximum power consumption as your
AthlonXP 2200+ while also having lower power consumption when not
going flat-out. Going to faster Athlon64's might increase your
maximum power consumption by a bit, but probably not a big change over
what you have now, and the "Cool 'n Quiet" technology will help to
keep the idle and light processing power consumption down.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2004 5:44:21 PM

wrote:

>"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> While AMD-64 is really nifty, especially for server class applications,
>
>I didn't know that. Do you have a link that compares Athlon 64
>favorably with the P4 for server applications?

Note that I think there's a bit of confusion here between "Athlon64"
(the processor) and "AMD64" (the 64-bit instruction set used by
Athlon64, Opteron and the latest Xeon processors).

>Let the benchmarks show that the Athlon 64 is really really nifty for
>_game_ class applications.

AMD64, as a 64-bit instruction set, does have some very definite
benefits for servers that typically will not be seen in most games
(mainly because most games are only available as 32-bit applications,
UT2004 and Far Cry are the only ones I know of that have even talked
about going to 64-bit so far).

Athlon64 CPUs, on the other hand, are very fast processors for games,
almost certainly the best bang for your buck these days.

>>it's
>> not really accessible yet to most game software.
>
>I didn't know that either. Which games are inaccessible with the
>Athlon 64?

None are inaccessible with the Athlon64, most do not make use of
AMD64.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2004 11:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

> AMD64, as a 64-bit instruction set, does have some very definite
> benefits for servers that typically will not be seen in most games

It sounds like there are more 64-bit server applications in the PC
world than I realized. My impression was that you have to use
something like 64-bit Suse and compile your stuff from source.

Can the Athlon 64 execute 32-bit and 64-bit code side by side? If so,
does a context switch imply an expensive processor mode switch?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2004 4:12:28 PM

On 17 Sep 2004 07:32:37 -0700, luilekkerland@hotmail.com (Piet Pompie)
wrote:

>> AMD64, as a 64-bit instruction set, does have some very definite
>> benefits for servers that typically will not be seen in most games
>
>It sounds like there are more 64-bit server applications in the PC
>world than I realized. My impression was that you have to use
>something like 64-bit Suse and compile your stuff from source.

Nope. Pretty much all the 64-bit Linux distributions are 64-bit from
ground-up.

In Windows-land things aren't quite there yet, most of the software is
still in beta, but many major commercial applications have already
been ported to 64-bit mode, just waiting on MS to get their operating
system out the door (it's already a year late... or "right on
schedule" in MS terms).

>Can the Athlon 64 execute 32-bit and 64-bit code side by side?

Yes.

> If so,
>does a context switch imply an expensive processor mode switch?

No.

While running under a 64-bit OS, an AMD64 compatible processor runs in
"Long Mode", in which it can run either 64-bit code or 32-bit code.
The 32-bit code even gains some fairly minor improvements in long mode
over running it in standard 32-bit protected mode, most notably that
each 32-bit process can directly address a full 4GB of memory (vs a
maximum of 2 or 3GB in 32-bit protected mode).

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2004 3:47:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

-
"Please take the dot [.] out of the address for replies"

"> About the only trick that you might run into is that many new
> motherboards only come with 2 IDE controllers, enough for 4 devices.
> It looks like your system has 5 IDE devices. Often the extra parallel
> IDE connectors have been dropped in favor of Serial ATA ones, though
> there are at least a few boards less with 3 IDE controllers (I know
> Asus' A8V Deluxe has them).
> -------------
> Tony Hill

If he has a look at the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro, he will have no problem with
all them ATA ide's
it has 4xATA & 4xSATA
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2005 1:59:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.setup (More info?)

I have The GA-K9NS Pro. Its The best board i have ever owned.

!