Confusion with P4-M -- Retail Versus OEM?!?

Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi all...

I ordered a Pentium 4-M from PC Connection, and it arrived.
The thing is, it arrived, in an Intel box, but without the fan
and heat-sync it was supposed to come with.

I called PC Connection, and they said, yes, it was supposed to come
with one. But they didn't know why it didn't.

I called Intel, and they quickly told me that only OEM versions come
without fan and heatsink, so I should tel PC Connection they sold me
an OEM chip.

I did a bit of research, and, supposedly, OEM versions don't come in
Intel boxes.

So I'm confused... I've got an Intel box, unopened, but it contains
a chip and manual, but no fan nor heatsink.

What's going on here? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or are
the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
beefier somehow?

- Tim

More about confusion retail versus
  1. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Spammay Blockay" <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
    > P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or are
    > the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
    > beefier somehow?

    Call Intel again or check the power consumption specs for both CPUs. The new
    ones should dissipate less heat, but it's still 2.4 GHz against 1.8 so
    check..
  2. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:29:26 GMT, SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com
    (Spammay Blockay) wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >
    >I ordered a Pentium 4-M from PC Connection, and it arrived.
    >The thing is, it arrived, in an Intel box, but without the fan
    >and heat-sync it was supposed to come with.
    >
    >I called PC Connection, and they said, yes, it was supposed to come
    >with one. But they didn't know why it didn't.
    >
    >I called Intel, and they quickly told me that only OEM versions come
    >without fan and heatsink, so I should tel PC Connection they sold me
    >an OEM chip.

    I wasn't aware that retail versions of mobile CPUs existed - laptop buyers
    are not expected to even be capable of opening them up. If it really was
    supposed to come with a heatsink, you may have been sold an "open box"
    where a previous buyer kept the heatsink - PC Connection should make good
    on this.

    >I did a bit of research, and, supposedly, OEM versions don't come in
    >Intel boxes.
    >
    >So I'm confused... I've got an Intel box, unopened, but it contains
    >a chip and manual, but no fan nor heatsink.
    >
    >What's going on here? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
    >
    >Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
    >P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or are
    >the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
    >beefier somehow?

    Have you already downloaded the hardware manual for the A31:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-39298.html ? You might find
    something in there about possible different types of heatsinks for the
    different processor models.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  3. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <cibi4n$qf2$1@news.siemens.at>, agh <agh@kjh.com> wrote:
    >"Spammay Blockay" <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
    >> P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or are
    >> the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
    >> beefier somehow?
    >
    >Call Intel again or check the power consumption specs for both CPUs. The new
    >ones should dissipate less heat, but it's still 2.4 GHz against 1.8 so
    >check..

    I called them, and they said I can reuse my current fan and heatsync.
    THIS time, they also told me that that chip DOESN'T come with a fan
    and heatsync. So I heard both things from two different guys...
    Oh well, I'll just use the damn chip. :-)

    - Tim

    --
  4. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <o8ujk0l1vbp5f5or3jguuv7v1kf07v85e4@4ax.com>,
    George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
    >On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:29:26 GMT, SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com
    >(Spammay Blockay) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all...
    >>
    >>I ordered a Pentium 4-M from PC Connection, and it arrived.
    >>The thing is, it arrived, in an Intel box, but without the fan
    >>and heat-sync it was supposed to come with.
    >>
    >>I called PC Connection, and they said, yes, it was supposed to come
    >>with one. But they didn't know why it didn't.
    >>
    >>I called Intel, and they quickly told me that only OEM versions come
    >>without fan and heatsink, so I should tel PC Connection they sold me
    >>an OEM chip.
    >
    >I wasn't aware that retail versions of mobile CPUs existed - laptop buyers
    >are not expected to even be capable of opening them up. If it really was
    >supposed to come with a heatsink, you may have been sold an "open box"
    >where a previous buyer kept the heatsink - PC Connection should make good
    >on this.
    >
    >>I did a bit of research, and, supposedly, OEM versions don't come in
    >>Intel boxes.
    >>
    >>So I'm confused... I've got an Intel box, unopened, but it contains
    >>a chip and manual, but no fan nor heatsink.
    >>
    >>What's going on here? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
    >>
    >>Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
    >>P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or are
    >>the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
    >>beefier somehow?
    >
    >Have you already downloaded the hardware manual for the A31:
    >http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-39298.html ? You might find
    >something in there about possible different types of heatsinks for the
    >different processor models.

    I've downloaded the manual, haven't looked at it in detail yet.
    But I think everything will work out fine now. Thanks!

    - Tim

    --
  5. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Spammay Blockay wrote:

    > I ordered a Pentium 4-M from PC Connection, and it arrived.
    > The thing is, it arrived, in an Intel box, but without the fan
    > and heat-sync it was supposed to come with.

    Is it an OEM CPU? Only intel boxed CPUs come with heat sink...

    But then, I wonder what kind of heat sink should come with an P4-M CPU as
    these CPUs are usually used in notebooks, and notebooks have very customized
    heatsink/fan constructions...

    > Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
    > P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or
    > are the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
    > beefier somehow?

    I upgraded my IBM A31 recently from P4-M 1.4 to P4-M 2.2GHz, and I re-used
    the original fan/heat sink. It works fine, the temperature didn't raise any
    higher than with the old CPU even under full load. SO the 2.4GHz CPU should
    be fine, too.

    As to the heatsink/fan, You have to use the original heatsink/fan because
    notebooks have customized constructions, and standard fans/heatsinks don't
    fit. So it doesn't matter if Your CPU would come with heatsink or not,
    simply because this heatsink won't fit...

    Benjamin
  6. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <2qu8ibF13h2kkU1@uni-berlin.de>,
    Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
    >Spammay Blockay wrote:
    >
    >> I ordered a Pentium 4-M from PC Connection, and it arrived.
    >> The thing is, it arrived, in an Intel box, but without the fan
    >> and heat-sync it was supposed to come with.
    >
    >Is it an OEM CPU? Only intel boxed CPUs come with heat sink...
    >
    >But then, I wonder what kind of heat sink should come with an P4-M CPU as
    >these CPUs are usually used in notebooks, and notebooks have very customized
    >heatsink/fan constructions...

    It was in a retail box... but today at Intel, the guy I talked
    to told me it did NOT come with heatsink and fan. Weird to hear
    these opposite bits of info.

    The chip has these little metal pegs coming out of one side, which
    I suspect are built-in heatsinks (not to be confused with the pins on
    the other side).

    >> Also, I want to replace my IBM Thinkpad A31's P4M 1.8Ghz with this new
    >> P4M 2.4Ghz chip. Can I use the fan and heatsink it already has, or
    >> are the ones that come with a Retail version of the P4M 2.4Ghz chip
    >> beefier somehow?
    >
    >I upgraded my IBM A31 recently from P4-M 1.4 to P4-M 2.2GHz, and I re-used
    >the original fan/heat sink. It works fine, the temperature didn't raise any
    >higher than with the old CPU even under full load. SO the 2.4GHz CPU should
    >be fine, too.
    >
    >As to the heatsink/fan, You have to use the original heatsink/fan because
    >notebooks have customized constructions, and standard fans/heatsinks don't
    >fit. So it doesn't matter if Your CPU would come with heatsink or not,
    >simply because this heatsink won't fit...

    Wow, thanks for all the information! I believe I can rest easier
    now that I won't have an opened-up notebook with screws all over and
    not be able to put the new chip in!

    - Tim

    --
  7. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > I upgraded my IBM A31 recently from P4-M 1.4 to P4-M 2.2GHz, and I
    > re-used the original fan/heat sink. It works fine, the temperature
    > didn't raise any higher than with the old CPU even under full load. SO
    > the 2.4GHz CPU should be fine, too.

    May we assume that it now kicks-ass compared to the old CPU? I was
    looking at the R41, but if the A31 takes the upgrade it may be fine for
    what I want, and even available used if I look.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bill Davidsen wrote:

    >> I upgraded my IBM A31 recently from P4-M 1.4 to P4-M 2.2GHz, and I
    >> re-used the original fan/heat sink. It works fine, the temperature
    >> didn't raise any higher than with the old CPU even under full load.
    >> SO the 2.4GHz CPU should be fine, too.
    >
    > May we assume that it now kicks-ass compared to the old CPU?

    Yes, it's ass-kicking. It felt like a complete new notebook...

    > I was
    > looking at the R41, but if the A31 takes the upgrade it may be fine
    > for what I want, and even available used if I look.

    I like the A31, and certainly never will give it away. It's now ~2.5yrs old
    but runs over 8hrs/day and doesn't get handled very carefully, and always
    served me without problems...

    Benjamin
  9. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Spammay Blockay wrote:

    > It was in a retail box... but today at Intel, the guy I talked
    > to told me it did NOT come with heatsink and fan. Weird to hear
    > these opposite bits of info.

    Maybe the first guy didn't notice You were talking about a mobile chip...

    > The chip has these little metal pegs coming out of one side, which
    > I suspect are built-in heatsinks (not to be confused with the pins on
    > the other side).

    No, that's the CPU die ccover. P4-M doesn't have a heat spreader but only a
    die cover like the old FCPGA P3s or the AMD Athlons...

    > Wow, thanks for all the information! I believe I can rest easier
    > now that I won't have an opened-up notebook with screws all over and
    > not be able to put the new chip in!

    You don't have to open much, replacing the CPU at the A31 is very easy...

    Benjamin
  10. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <2qvbubF13o2pfU2@uni-berlin.de>,
    Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
    >Spammay Blockay wrote:
    >
    >> Wow, thanks for all the information! I believe I can rest easier
    >> now that I won't have an opened-up notebook with screws all over and
    >> not be able to put the new chip in!
    >
    >You don't have to open much, replacing the CPU at the A31 is very easy...

    The hardware manual has about 5 or 6 things it says I have to remove
    to get to the CPU. One is the battery, admittedly, but there seem to be
    a few things to take out (daughtercard, keyboard, fan cover, etc.).

    - Tim

    --
  11. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > In article <cibi4n$qf2$1@news.siemens.at>, agh > THIS time, they also told
    me that that chip DOESN'T come with a fan
    > and heatsync. So I heard both things from two different guys...

    Hmm, looks like someone who has told you an inside information by mistake is
    going to be promoted to kitchen duty..
  12. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Spammay Blockay wrote:

    > Hi all...
    >
    > I ordered a Pentium 4-M from PC Connection, and it arrived.
    > The thing is, it arrived, in an Intel box, but without the fan
    > and heat-sync it was supposed to come with.

    I would tend to think that mobile chips would not come with an Intel
    fan/sink, as notebook designs are highly specialized and what might fit
    in one might not fit in another.

    --
    Mike Smith
  13. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Tim,

    Spammay Blockay <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote:

    > I called them, and they said I can reuse my current fan and heatsync.
    > THIS time, they also told me that that chip DOESN'T come with a fan
    > and heatsync. So I heard both things from two different guys...
    > Oh well, I'll just use the damn chip. :-)

    As I said to you in the forums, Benjamin is correct that the mobile
    processors don't come with heatsinks and fans in the Retail boxes as these
    are machine specific, not universal like in a desktop.

    Another thing to consider is maxing out the RAM in your unit. As I and
    others have mentioned the A31 series will happily max out at 2GB with two
    PC2100 or PC2700 sticks of 200 pin DDR-SDRAM.

    --
    Regards,

    James

  14. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <anA2d.8871$5t4.3224@trnddc01>,
    JHEM <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:
    >Tim,
    >
    >Spammay Blockay <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> I called them, and they said I can reuse my current fan and heatsync.
    >> THIS time, they also told me that that chip DOESN'T come with a fan
    >> and heatsync. So I heard both things from two different guys...
    >> Oh well, I'll just use the damn chip. :-)
    >
    >As I said to you in the forums, Benjamin is correct that the mobile
    >processors don't come with heatsinks and fans in the Retail boxes as these
    >are machine specific, not universal like in a desktop.

    And as I said there, as well, that's what Intel told me the second
    time I called. But thanks again! :-)

    >Another thing to consider is maxing out the RAM in your unit. As I and
    >others have mentioned the A31 series will happily max out at 2GB with two
    >PC2100 or PC2700 sticks of 200 pin DDR-SDRAM.

    Yes yes, we've also talked about this -- I put in a 1GB chip, along
    with the existing 256MB chip. The 2nd GB chip would have made it a little
    more than I wanted to pay (what with the new processor and the age of
    the machine taken into account). I rarely need more than 512MB, actually,
    unless I'm running something like WSAD (a massive IDE).

    Although I suppose some multimedia editors can take advantage of a huge
    amount of RAM by never having to swap while doing file transformations,
    etc. for big files (movies, etc.). I'll live with my paltry 1.25GB for
    now. :-)

    - Tim

    --
  15. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Spammay Blockay wrote:

    > The hardware manual has about 5 or 6 things it says I have to remove
    > to get to the CPU. One is the battery, admittedly, but there seem to
    > be a few things to take out (daughtercard, keyboard, fan cover, etc.).

    Just remove the battery, then remove the keyboard and the keyboard cover,
    and You have access to the CPU fan/heatsink combo...

    The whole replacement took less than 30min...

    Benjamin
  16. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <2r0qf4F14kv31U1@uni-berlin.de>,
    Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
    >Spammay Blockay wrote:
    >
    >> The hardware manual has about 5 or 6 things it says I have to remove
    >> to get to the CPU. One is the battery, admittedly, but there seem to
    >> be a few things to take out (daughtercard, keyboard, fan cover, etc.).
    >
    >Just remove the battery, then remove the keyboard and the keyboard cover,
    >and You have access to the CPU fan/heatsink combo...
    >
    >The whole replacement took less than 30min...

    Thanks! Good to know! Should I use one of those anti-static wrist bands?

    - Tim

    --
  17. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Spammay Blockay wrote:

    >> The whole replacement took less than 30min...
    >
    > Thanks! Good to know! Should I use one of those anti-static wrist
    > bands?

    Well, I have an ESD workplace and always wear an ESD wrist strap. But it
    should be enough to ground yourself before doing the CPU replacement. You
    don't have to touch any electronic components except the CPUs itself, and
    these should also only be hold on the corners. Don't touch the pins.

    Benjamin
  18. Archived from groups: comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    JHEM wrote:
    > Tim,
    >
    > Spammay Blockay <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I called them, and they said I can reuse my current fan and heatsync.
    >>THIS time, they also told me that that chip DOESN'T come with a fan
    >>and heatsync. So I heard both things from two different guys...
    >>Oh well, I'll just use the damn chip. :-)
    >

    > As I said to you in the forums, Benjamin is correct that the mobile
    > processors don't come with heatsinks and fans in the Retail boxes as these
    > are machine specific, not universal like in a desktop.
    >
    > Another thing to consider is maxing out the RAM in your unit. As I and
    > others have mentioned the A31 series will happily max out at 2GB with two
    > PC2100 or PC2700 sticks of 200 pin DDR-SDRAM.

    I just ordered the Acer newegg had on sale, with a 1.5 Pentium-M. It
    comes with a 512M RAM, at some point I *may* want to put in one of the
    new 2.x processors, assuming it's a drop-in.

    --
    bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
    Project Leader, USENET news

CPUs Connection Intel OEM