Why are Belkin leads so expensive (in the UK)?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
The price of some of their leads is amazing.

They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that too!

Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?
7 answers Last reply
More about belkin leads expensive
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "CrackerJack" <binaryblobNOTTHISBIT@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
    > The price of some of their leads is amazing.
    >
    > They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.
    >
    > Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
    > buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that
    > too!
    >
    > Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

    It's true, all their leads are expensive, dunno why.
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:42:29 +0100, CrackerJack
    <binaryblobNOTTHISBIT@hotpop.com> wrote:

    >Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
    >The price of some of their leads is amazing.
    >
    >They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.
    >
    >Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
    >buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that too!
    >
    >Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

    Somewhat. They are quite strange... with some products, including some
    cables, at hugely inflated prices and others quite competitive. A dual
    DVI-D cable I looked at was >$70. at a CompUSA store - even higher than
    price shown at www.belkin.com. I've also found their parallel printer
    cables at reasonable prices so I don't know what to make of it. Maybe they
    still have dreams of the days when people would spend >$100. for an
    external SCSI cable.

    The funny thing is that they also sell junk - I bought a Belkin brand
    keyboard based on their reputation, though the price was very low... and
    turned out to match the "quality". It had several keys which didn't work -
    couldn't figure why BIOS Setup changes were not umm, taking at first, when
    I was sure I'd hit "Y":-) - and the keys felt as bad as anything I've come
    across. It came with a nice USB-PS/2 adapter though.:-)

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  3. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Some of the lower value items are more expensive than other
    cheaper imported leads.

    However, Belkin do offer a "lifetime warranty" on their leads. I
    suppose this has to come at a cost.

    Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
    Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
    t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e: sales@aceinternet.co.uk
  4. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:20:08 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:42:29 +0100, CrackerJack
    > <binaryblobNOTTHISBIT@hotpop.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
    >>The price of some of their leads is amazing.
    >>
    >>They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.
    >>
    >>Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
    >>buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that too!
    >>
    >>Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?
    >
    > Somewhat. They are quite strange... with some products, including some
    > cables, at hugely inflated prices and others quite competitive. A dual
    > DVI-D cable I looked at was >$70. at a CompUSA store - even higher than
    > price shown at www.belkin.com. I've also found their parallel printer
    > cables at reasonable prices so I don't know what to make of it. Maybe they
    > still have dreams of the days when people would spend >$100. for an
    > external SCSI cable.

    OTOH, my Belkin KVM switch is superb. I got a decent deal on it, so I'm
    *quite* happy with Belkin. ...understanding that no company is perfect.

    <snip>

    --
    Keith
  5. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "CrackerJack" <binaryblobNOTTHISBIT@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
    > The price of some of their leads is amazing.
    >
    > They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.
    >
    > Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
    > buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that
    > too!
    >
    > Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

    Anybody who attends computer fairs knows how much leads/cables can be bought
    for. Mains leads a pound, etc. PC-World and the like are 10 times the price.
  6. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "John Hardaker" <john@junkjhardaker.plus.com> wrote in message news:<4151fd8d$0$28319$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
    > "CrackerJack" <binaryblobNOTTHISBIT@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > > Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
    > > The price of some of their leads is amazing.
    > >
    > > They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.
    > >
    > > Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
    > > buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that
    > > too!
    > >
    > > Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?
    >
    > Anybody who attends computer fairs knows how much leads/cables can be bought
    > for. Mains leads a pound, etc. PC-World and the like are 10 times the price.

    Worked for a small pc retailler briefly. They had a 500% - 1000%
    markup on various computer leads and were still miles cheaper than the
    big pc outlets.
    Why are they so expensive? Because they can get away with it.
  7. Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:33:00 +0100, "John Hardaker"
    <john@junkjhardaker.plus.com> wrote:

    -> They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

    *Some* Belkin products are better quality than cheaper ones. But of course YMMV
    depending on what you order. I have some really decent quality parallel cables
    from them - they may not be electrically any better than cheapos, but they
    "feel" nice, and have v smart and easy to use thumbwheels to screw them in.

    I put them, mentally, in the same bracket as Targus, who make some similar
    stuff......

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

CPUs Hardware Homebuilt Belkin