GTA SA - Have Rockstar...

....Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??

Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in the
first release will have been ironed out in the process of prepping the
PC version of SA.

So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy mess
of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's reasonable to
assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed versions of SA into
the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or Box-set SA would be
"v2.0".)

If they've released a de-glitched version for the PS2, it might be
worth picking up a copy (assuming the saves can be transferred -
which they couldn't between VC and platinum VC!). Anyone hear
anything?

Class 1 wrote:

> ...Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??
>
> Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in the
> first release will have been ironed out in the process of prepping the
> PC version of SA.
>
> So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy mess
> of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's reasonable to
> assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed versions of SA into
> the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or Box-set SA would be
> "v2.0".)
>
> If they've released a de-glitched version for the PS2, it might be
> worth picking up a copy (assuming the saves can be transferred -
> which they couldn't between VC and platinum VC!). Anyone hear
> anything?

not a sausage
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

On 27 Apr 2005 06:38:37 -0700, "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>...Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??
>
>Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in the
>first release will have been ironed out in the process of prepping the
>PC version of SA.
>
>So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy mess
>of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's reasonable to
>assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed versions of SA into
>the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or Box-set SA would be
>"v2.0".)

They won't have. If they sneak out a release with fixes in, it's like
admitting that the previous one was substandard in the first place and
they'll get millions of people wanting free exchanges.

Given the total freedom you have to do anything within the game, it
has remarkably few bugs.

andyt

Andy Turner <andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2005 06:38:37 -0700, "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>...Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??
>>
>>Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in the
>>first release will have been ironed out in the process of prepping the
>>PC version of SA.
>>
>>So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy mess
>>of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's reasonable to
>>assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed versions of SA into
>>the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or Box-set SA would be
>>"v2.0".)

> They won't have. If they sneak out a release with fixes in, it's like
> admitting that the previous one was substandard in the first place and
> they'll get millions of people wanting free exchanges.

There are a few examples of mfrs and software writers making hardware
changes on the fly. Microsoft is notable.

Hasn't Sony released a few dozen revisions of the PlayStation hardware?
Granted, some of these changes are driven by events outside of Sony's
control (like hardware supplier changes). But even so, there's been
wild speculation that certain PS models, even though there should only
be one, are likelier than others to barf on the SA DVD than others.

So I think it's very possible that stealthy game title re-releases are
common though I don't know of any in practice.

If someone has a first day release disk, a buddy who recently bought
SA, a computer with 2 DVD readers, windiff, and a couple of hours
(possibly days) then someone could say for sure that one disk has
been changed over the other.

Actually, it's pretty easy to do. I just need the newest disk. I have
an early one.

> Given the total freedom you have to do anything within the game, it
> has remarkably few bugs.

Yep!

Andy Turner wrote in news:e3vv611isl98r671a0up4dejns2kn3r4de@4ax.com:

> On 27 Apr 2005 06:38:37 -0700, "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > ...Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??
> >
> > Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in
> > the first release will have been ironed out in the process of
> > prepping the PC version of SA.
> >
> > So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy
> > mess of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's
> > reasonable to assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed
> > versions of SA into the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or
> > Box-set SA would be "v2.0".)
>
> They won't have. If they sneak out a release with fixes in, it's like
> admitting that the previous one was substandard in the first place and
> they'll get millions of people wanting free exchanges.
>
> Given the total freedom you have to do anything within the game, it
> has remarkably few bugs.

I believe they did fix up Vice City a bit in a quiet re-release, or maybe
that was just for the double pack, or maybe that was just for Xbox, or maybe
I just don't know because I have the original one and it's always played
just fine for me.

So has San Andreas, for that matter.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:23:08 -0400, "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Andy Turner wrote in news:e3vv611isl98r671a0up4dejns2kn3r4de@4ax.com:
>>
>> On 27 Apr 2005 06:38:37 -0700, "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> > ...Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??
>> >
>> > Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in
>> > the first release will have been ironed out in the process of
>> > prepping the PC version of SA.
>> >
>> > So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy
>> > mess of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's
>> > reasonable to assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed
>> > versions of SA into the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or
>> > Box-set SA would be "v2.0".)
>>
>> They won't have. If they sneak out a release with fixes in, it's like
>> admitting that the previous one was substandard in the first place and
>> they'll get millions of people wanting free exchanges.
>>
>> Given the total freedom you have to do anything within the game, it
>> has remarkably few bugs.
>
>I believe they did fix up Vice City a bit in a quiet re-release, or maybe
>that was just for the double pack, or maybe that was just for Xbox, or maybe
>I just don't know because I have the original one and it's always played
>just fine for me.
>
>So has San Andreas, for that matter.

yup, at 100%, still haven't seen the hoop glitch. (ball)
whenever i can't work out, i adjust fat and muscle.
recently went back to GTAlll and VC. still work fine,
but man, what improvements they've made in SA.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:43:46 +0000 (UTC), Kevin <bastian@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Andy Turner <andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 27 Apr 2005 06:38:37 -0700, "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>>...Already quietly sneaked out a bug-fixed version of PS2 SA??
>>>
>>>Presumably, all the annoying basketball/gym/etc glitches present in the
>>>first release will have been ironed out in the process of prepping the
>>>PC version of SA.
>>>
>>>So, instead of admitting legal liability for releasing a glitchy mess
>>>of a first release and offering free exchanges, it's reasonable to
>>>assume that they'd very quietly release bug-fixed versions of SA into
>>>the wild ("v1.5" or something / Platinum or Box-set SA would be
>>>"v2.0".)
>
>> They won't have. If they sneak out a release with fixes in, it's like
>> admitting that the previous one was substandard in the first place and
>> they'll get millions of people wanting free exchanges.
>
>There are a few examples of mfrs and software writers making hardware
>changes on the fly. Microsoft is notable.

Microsoft's bug fixes are free downloads. You can't do that with a PS2
game.

>Hasn't Sony released a few dozen revisions of the PlayStation hardware?
>Granted, some of these changes are driven by events outside of Sony's
>control (like hardware supplier changes).

I would expect all of them to be totally within Sony's control and
instigation. Each revision is generally simplified as technology
advances which allows them to be made cheaper and sold cheaper. In the
case of the PSOne and the new PS2, technology advancements also allows
for dramatic size reductions.

> But even so, there's been
> wild speculation that certain PS models, even though there should only
> be one, are likelier than others to barf on the SA DVD than others.

Sure, I'd imagine some models have different tolerances, especially
with the DVD lasers.

>So I think it's very possible that stealthy game title re-releases are
>common though I don't know of any in practice.

Exactly. I'd think they're asking for trouble doing it. People with
the original are going to want the fixed version and if they've fixed
it, they're admitting that it needed fixing and all of a sudden you've
got people wanting free exchanges to the fixed version.

>If someone has a first day release disk, a buddy who recently bought
>SA, a computer with 2 DVD readers, windiff, and a couple of hours
>(possibly days) then someone could say for sure that one disk has
>been changed over the other.
>
>Actually, it's pretty easy to do. I just need the newest disk. I have
>an early one.

Despite what I say, I wouldn't be surprised to find it slightly
different however. This is more likely to be due to the different
plants pressing the disk images etc.. I'd still expect it to be the
same version of the game.

andyt