Opteron 240 emmit a lot of heat

Has anyone else noticed that the 64 bit Opteron CPU's emmit a lot of heat?
Is this normal? I have a dual Opteron board with dual Opterons.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:33:59 GMT, "Jack Ustinov" <jacko@silver.net>
wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed that the 64 bit Opteron CPU's emmit a lot of heat?
>Is this normal? I have a dual Opteron board with dual Opterons.

A lot of heat relative to what? Compared to an old Pentium, hell yeah
they pump out a lot of heat. Compared to the latest P4 and Xeon chips
they are actually quite cool running.

By most accounts the Opteron 240 should pump out somewhere around 60W
of heat when going full-out. That is a fair bit of power (just try
touching a 60W light bulb when it's turned on sometime!), but
certainly not unreasonable.

Tony Hill

jk

One could buy the Opteron 240 EE chips if they are worried about heat.
The EE chips are only 30 watts, but are not cheap.