Athlon XP vs MP

Hellow.

I've read on a few websites that the XP can be used on dual boards by
closing one of the L5 bridges.
What does this Bridge do exactly?
Does it enable someting in the CPU or does it just tell the mobo that a MP
is present in the socket?

Are there any real differnces in core structure between XP and MP?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about athlon

    sds wrote:
    > Hellow.
    >
    > I've read on a few websites that the XP can be used on dual boards by
    > closing one of the L5 bridges.
    > What does this Bridge do exactly?
    > Does it enable someting in the CPU or does it just tell the mobo that a MP
    > is present in the socket?
    >
    > Are there any real differnces in core structure between XP and MP?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use your favourite engine to search for
    "Athlon XP" and "L5 bridge".

    Note that not all XPs needed to be modded like this.
    Up to and including the 1800+ have that bridge already
    close, the 2000+ and later have it open. With the
    1900+ some do and some don't - it depends on whether
    you have a Palomino or Thoroughbred chip.

    Other that labelling, marketing, and the L5 bridge,
    the only difference between the XP and the MP is that
    AMD has tested the MPs to verify they work in dualies.
    Every XP and Duron I ever tried to use in a dualie
    always worked, but I was always aware that there were
    no guarantees.

    --
    Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    Do not remove anything.

    sds <sdsnet-spam@free.fr> wrote :

    > Hellow.
    >
    > I've read on a few websites that the XP can be used on dual boards
    > by closing one of the L5 bridges.
    > What does this Bridge do exactly?
    > Does it enable someting in the CPU

    no

    > or does it just tell the mobo
    > that a MP is present in the socket?

    yes

    > Are there any real differnces in core structure between XP and MP?

    no

    Pozdrawiam.
    --
    RusH //
    http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

    sds wrote:
    > I've read on a few websites that the XP can be used on dual boards by
    > closing one of the L5 bridges.
    > What does this Bridge do exactly?
    > Does it enable someting in the CPU or does it just tell the mobo that
    > a MP is present in the socket?
    >
    > Are there any real differnces in core structure between XP and MP?

    Just to add to what others have said, from now on, you will be replacing
    XP's and MP's with Semprons. No official word whether Semprons will be
    dualie compatible, but rumour has it that it will be.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > sds wrote:
    >
    >>I've read on a few websites that the XP can be used on dual boards by
    >>closing one of the L5 bridges.
    >>What does this Bridge do exactly?
    >>Does it enable someting in the CPU or does it just tell the mobo that
    >>a MP is present in the socket?
    >>
    >>Are there any real differnces in core structure between XP and MP?
    >

    > Just to add to what others have said, from now on, you will be replacing
    > XP's and MP's with Semprons. No official word whether Semprons will be
    > dualie compatible, but rumour has it that it will be.

    I was having trouble getting hold of a pair of MP 2800s
    for someone who wants to upgrade from 2200s. I called
    AMD and asked if it was worth waiting for Semprons and
    I got a firm no.

    Additionally, The Socket A Semprons all seem to have
    333 MHz FSB whereas every Socket A dualie mobo on the
    market all have only 200 and 266 MHz FSBs. Unless
    you can increase the multiplier, you would be running
    the Semprons underclocked.

    --
    Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    Do not remove anything.