Looking to buy a new video card

Hello people
I currently have a GeForce4MX 440 64MB vga card. Its not very good at
Doom3, and I cant play many other games like Splinter Cell and Prince of
Persia Sans of Time with it. Am looking forward to buy a new card and to
prepare my pc for the much awaited Half Life 2. I am not a heavy
gamer, but I do like to play these games from time to time during week-ends.
I have an Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB DDR266 on an A7V333-X
motherboard(AGP 4x).
I would like your advice on which video card would be my best nag for
buck for the games I want to play at a reasonable frame rate.

Somebody's proposing me to buy his used GFX5700. Would that be an 'OK' card?

Also, I have always owned NVIDIA cards, and never had any problems
setting them up under Linux. I dont mind considering an ATI too, if you
assure me that is equally easy to install proprietary accelerated
drivers for it under Linux.

Thank you in advance.

Nadeem wrote:

> I currently have a GeForce4MX 440 64MB vga card. Its not very good at
> Doom3, and I cant play many other games like Splinter Cell and Prince of
> Persia Sans of Time with it. Am looking forward to buy a new card and to
> prepare my pc for the much awaited Half Life 2. I am not a heavy gamer,
> but I do like to play these games from time to time during week-ends.
> I have an Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB DDR266 on an A7V333-X
> motherboard(AGP 4x).
> I would like your advice on which video card would be my best nag for
> buck for the games I want to play at a reasonable frame rate.
>
> Somebody's proposing me to buy his used GFX5700. Would that be an 'OK'
> card?
>
> Also, I have always owned NVIDIA cards, and never had any problems
> setting them up under Linux. I dont mind considering an ATI too, if you
> assure me that is equally easy to install proprietary accelerated
> drivers for it under Linux.

Have you seen e.g. this Doom3 benchmark?
http://anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23039

--
Regards, Grumble