Cable Modem Slower Than 56k Dial Up

Kalannar

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem. I just signed up for cable internet through Comcast Cable. They came out and installed it but it is slower than my old dial up most of the time. I called their help desk a couple of times. The first thing they did was check readings on their end 1.3mb/s. No problem there. They pinged my system for an hour then had me reset the modem to see if that would clear the signal. Didn't work. They sent a repairman out to check the lines from the box to the house. Everything fine there. They said have someone look at the computer. Barring a complete reinstall of OS I updated and checked everything on the computer. I even put in my old proccessor and set the motherboard back to original settings. Didn't work got slower. I noticed that any bumping of the computer desk will cause the modem to turn off and on and go through the diagnostic cycle. Do you think that cable modem could be defective in that it has an intermittant connection?

My system is a socket 7 Mobo, Amd k6-2 400, 128mb Ram, 16mb Video, dual HDD appr 20gig, Linksys10/100mb network card.

I am about ready to cancel the service before the 30 days are up if i can't get this straitened out. Any and all help would be appriciated.

Mike

"That which does not kill us, strengthens us!"

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
what are your rwin and mtu settings ?? I'm betting they are out of whack for cable mtu's ( max transmission units ) needs to be set to about 1500.. for a 1.3mb capped service the rwin should be in the ~32120 range Go to <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks" target="_new"> this site </A> run the tweak test, fill in the questions after it is done and you have pressed the Results button..download DrTcp.exe from them and adjust the mtu and rwin according to the recommendations from the tweak test(be sure to drop down to your nic don't bother adjusting the dialup modem).. reboot and run a speed test from the same area.. let us know if that helped ..

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?lagger" target="_new"> All Nude Female Jello® Wrestling RuleZ!</A>

Kalannar

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Well it was the cable modem.
They replaced that pos RCA with a Motorola Surfboard and everything works fine now. I am so happy. The connection is faster than it is at work. I love it so far.
Mike

"That which does not kill us, strengthens us!"