EasyBCD list order & Drive Selection

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

Got Win8 installed over the weekend and wanted to set up the boot manager. I've been using XP Boot manager and can move entries around in the Boot.ini and also just select the drive and partition for the entry.

Win8 didn't pick up any of my existing drives so I installed EasyBCD. EasyBCD makes you pick the drive letter for the partition you want instead of the drive & partition number. Also, once you make the entry, I don't see any way to order the entries.

Am I missing something in there or are my entries stuck with the order I make them? Do you only select the drive letter to add the entry?

Thanks

Last I knew of EasyBCD, you couldn't change the order but you can change the primary boot choice and rename the boot choices, you'll have to play around with it a little bit, but for the most part, it is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. I haven't had to use it in a while for changing my windows order or anything like that, but I did use it to move a MBR to a fresh drive, was relatively painless.

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Tried Easybcd again and did see a set of order buttons at the top of the edit screen. I moved my xp to the top with win8 under it. Win8 didn't like that as it put 2 xp entries out there and deleted one other. Seems Win8/Easybcd want the Win8 entry to be the first one. Very strange.

boyans

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Alternatively try Visual BCD Editor (http://www.boyans.net)

All present loaders are listed and can be edited.
Boot menu entries can be ordered without affecting other settings.