What does "IN Calling" mean?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 15, 2005 8:14:38 AM

Before I sign up, and being very skeptical about the terms and
conditions of Verizon's Family Share plan, I need some help on
interpreting what some of the features entail.

The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
customers do not have *IN* calling? How does one know if the customer
has the *IN* calling plan?

Is there a difference between the "America's Choice Coverage Area" and
"America's Choice HOME Coverage Area"?

Here are some assumptions I am making after reading the ads and as much
of the fine print that I can tolerate; please tell me if I'm wrong:

If I sign up for the Family Share 500 minute plan and add two more
phones,
all four users will be able to call each other as much as they want,
for as long as they want, any time night or day, FROM ANY AREA IN THE
U.S. TO ANY OTHER AREA IN THE U.S THAT ARE SHOW AS "COVERED" and not
use up any of the plan minutes, as long as both caller and receiver are
in a digital coverage area.

(I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
home area, but that's not a problem).

Other than for billing purposes, there is no difference between the
"primary line" and the other three lines in how they can be used.

There is no roaming on the new plans, and either the phone works
without extra charges, or it does not work (except for 911 calls).

There is no difference in charges (regular minutes used or free m2m)
from areas shown as yellow (Verizon) or grey (partner) as long as they
are digital.

Analog areas will probably burn minutes since Caller ID info is
unavailable.

Are there any other "gotcha's" on this plan that I've overlooked?

Thanks for your help.

Lena

More about : calling

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:36:47 AM

"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Before I sign up, and being very skeptical about the terms and
> conditions of Verizon's Family Share plan, I need some help on
> interpreting what some of the features entail.
>
> The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
> customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
> customers do not have *IN* calling? How does one know if the customer
> has the *IN* calling plan?
>
> Is there a difference between the "America's Choice Coverage Area" and
> "America's Choice HOME Coverage Area"?
>
> Here are some assumptions I am making after reading the ads and as much
> of the fine print that I can tolerate; please tell me if I'm wrong:
>
> If I sign up for the Family Share 500 minute plan and add two more
> phones,
> all four users will be able to call each other as much as they want,
> for as long as they want, any time night or day, FROM ANY AREA IN THE
> U.S. TO ANY OTHER AREA IN THE U.S THAT ARE SHOW AS "COVERED" and not
> use up any of the plan minutes, as long as both caller and receiver are
> in a digital coverage area.
>
> (I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
> home area, but that's not a problem).
>
> Other than for billing purposes, there is no difference between the
> "primary line" and the other three lines in how they can be used.
>
> There is no roaming on the new plans, and either the phone works
> without extra charges, or it does not work (except for 911 calls).
>
> There is no difference in charges (regular minutes used or free m2m)
> from areas shown as yellow (Verizon) or grey (partner) as long as they
> are digital.
>
> Analog areas will probably burn minutes since Caller ID info is
> unavailable.
>
> Are there any other "gotcha's" on this plan that I've overlooked?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Lena

You've basically got it. IN calling works pretty much anywhere and you won't
burn minutes.

The main gotcha is in the customer service agreement- read it. It says that
you're obligated to a long list of things-- but they can change whatever
they want whenever they want--- and they do. They've been playing "take
away" with increasing frequency.

The things they've taken away since I signed up a few years ago include free
calls to voicemail, free detail billing, no new every two phone unless
you're under a two year contract (not just a customer), free transfer of
your phone book to a new phone, free activation on a non OTA capable phone,
free/low cost replacement of a DOA phone off warranty and some guy posted
yesterday that free holiday calling is on the hit list for later this year.
I'm sure there's a few more I've forgotten.

All that being said, you'll be happy with the service but get ready to be
nickeled and dimed to death and lose stuff from your plan as time goes by.

I used to like and feel good about VZW-- I talked them up and recommended
them. But because of how they treat me and their other customers, they've
become just another commodity vendor to me-- and I look to screw them as
much as they've been screwing me. I'll change carriers in a heartbeat when
another one has decent service in my area and where I travel.
July 15, 2005 2:08:22 PM

Lena wrote:
> Before I sign up, and being very skeptical about the terms and
> conditions of Verizon's Family Share plan, I need some help on
> interpreting what some of the features entail.
>
> The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
> customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
> customers do not have *IN* calling?

Yes, some people with older plans will not have IN calling. It doesn't
matter to you because your calls to/from another VZW phone will be free.

How does one know if the customer
> has the *IN* calling plan?

Ask the person you are calling. It doesn't matter to you but it could
matter to them if they don't have IN network on their plan.

> Is there a difference between the "America's Choice Coverage Area" and
> "America's Choice HOME Coverage Area"?
>
> Here are some assumptions I am making after reading the ads and as much
> of the fine print that I can tolerate; please tell me if I'm wrong:
>
> If I sign up for the Family Share 500 minute plan and add two more
> phones,
> all four users will be able to call each other as much as they want,
> for as long as they want, any time night or day, FROM ANY AREA IN THE
> U.S. TO ANY OTHER AREA IN THE U.S THAT ARE SHOW AS "COVERED" and not
> use up any of the plan minutes, as long as both caller and receiver are
> in a digital coverage area.
>
> (I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
> home area, but that's not a problem).
>
> Other than for billing purposes, there is no difference between the
> "primary line" and the other three lines in how they can be used.

No

> There is no roaming on the new plans, and either the phone works
> without extra charges, or it does not work (except for 911 calls).
>
> There is no difference in charges (regular minutes used or free m2m)
> from areas shown as yellow (Verizon) or grey (partner) as long as they
> are digital.
>
> Analog areas will probably burn minutes since Caller ID info is
> unavailable.

> Are there any other "gotcha's" on this plan that I've overlooked?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Lena

July 15, 2005 5:53:17 PM

The "to any verizon wireless customer with in calling" means "to any
verizon wireless customer" provided they are receiving a verizon/partner
signal, see the "America's Choice Home Airtime Rate and Coverage Area"
map on verizon's web site (some of it is analog), "with in calling"
means it is part of your plan.

Lena wrote:
> Before I sign up, and being very skeptical about the terms and
> conditions of Verizon's Family Share plan, I need some help on
> interpreting what some of the features entail.
>
> The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
> customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
> customers do not have *IN* calling? How does one know if the customer
> has the *IN* calling plan?
>
> Is there a difference between the "America's Choice Coverage Area" and
> "America's Choice HOME Coverage Area"?
>
> Here are some assumptions I am making after reading the ads and as much
> of the fine print that I can tolerate; please tell me if I'm wrong:
>
> If I sign up for the Family Share 500 minute plan and add two more
> phones,
> all four users will be able to call each other as much as they want,
> for as long as they want, any time night or day, FROM ANY AREA IN THE
> U.S. TO ANY OTHER AREA IN THE U.S THAT ARE SHOW AS "COVERED" and not
> use up any of the plan minutes, as long as both caller and receiver are
> in a digital coverage area.
>
> (I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
> home area, but that's not a problem).
>
> Other than for billing purposes, there is no difference between the
> "primary line" and the other three lines in how they can be used.
>
> There is no roaming on the new plans, and either the phone works
> without extra charges, or it does not work (except for 911 calls).
>
> There is no difference in charges (regular minutes used or free m2m)
> from areas shown as yellow (Verizon) or grey (partner) as long as they
> are digital.
>
> Analog areas will probably burn minutes since Caller ID info is
> unavailable.
>
> Are there any other "gotcha's" on this plan that I've overlooked?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Lena

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:05:52 PM

PS The colors are red and pink.

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> The "to any verizon wireless customer with in calling" means "to any
> verizon wireless customer" provided they are receiving a verizon/partner
> signal, see the "America's Choice Home Airtime Rate and Coverage Area"
> map on verizon's web site (some of it is analog), "with in calling"
> means it is part of your plan.
>

> Lena wrote:
>
>> Before I sign up, and being very skeptical about the terms and
>> conditions of Verizon's Family Share plan, I need some help on
>> interpreting what some of the features entail.
>>
>> The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
>> customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
>> customers do not have *IN* calling? How does one know if the customer
>> has the *IN* calling plan?
>>
>> Is there a difference between the "America's Choice Coverage Area" and
>> "America's Choice HOME Coverage Area"?
>>
>> Here are some assumptions I am making after reading the ads and as much
>> of the fine print that I can tolerate; please tell me if I'm wrong:
>>
>> If I sign up for the Family Share 500 minute plan and add two more
>> phones,
>> all four users will be able to call each other as much as they want,
>> for as long as they want, any time night or day, FROM ANY AREA IN THE
>> U.S. TO ANY OTHER AREA IN THE U.S THAT ARE SHOW AS "COVERED" and not
>> use up any of the plan minutes, as long as both caller and receiver are
>> in a digital coverage area.
>>
>> (I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
>> home area, but that's not a problem).
>>
>> Other than for billing purposes, there is no difference between the
>> "primary line" and the other three lines in how they can be used.
>>
>> There is no roaming on the new plans, and either the phone works
>> without extra charges, or it does not work (except for 911 calls).
>>
>> There is no difference in charges (regular minutes used or free m2m)
>> from areas shown as yellow (Verizon) or grey (partner) as long as they
>> are digital.
>>
>> Analog areas will probably burn minutes since Caller ID info is
>> unavailable.
>>
>> Are there any other "gotcha's" on this plan that I've overlooked?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Lena

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:50:49 AM

Lena wrote:
> Before I sign up, and being very skeptical about the terms and
> conditions of Verizon's Family Share plan, I need some help on
> interpreting what some of the features entail.
>
> The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
> customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
> customers do not have *IN* calling? How does one know if the customer
> has the *IN* calling plan?

As other people have pointed out, the rate plan that the person you call
has is irrelevant to whether YOU get billed as IN.

> Is there a difference between the "America's Choice Coverage Area" and
> "America's Choice HOME Coverage Area"?
>
> Here are some assumptions I am making after reading the ads and as much
> of the fine print that I can tolerate; please tell me if I'm wrong:
>
> If I sign up for the Family Share 500 minute plan and add two more phones,
> all four users will be able to call each other as much as they want,
> for as long as they want, any time night or day, FROM ANY AREA IN THE
> U.S. TO ANY OTHER AREA IN THE U.S THAT ARE SHOW AS "COVERED" and not
> use up any of the plan minutes, as long as both caller and receiver are
> in a digital coverage area.

Digital vs. analog is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is being
in the "coverage area". And with the new plans, if you are not in the
coverage area, you can't make calls anyway. And the IN calling is with
ANY VZW phone, not just ones in your family share group. Where the other
phone is is irrelevant to whether the call is IN for you. What matter is
where YOUR phone is.

> (I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
> home area, but that's not a problem).

That is a SprintPCS thing.

> Other than for billing purposes, there is no difference between the
> "primary line" and the other three lines in how they can be used.

Right. But the New Every Two promotion ($100 additional discount after
two years) applies only to the primary line. All the lines get the
discounted price after your contract expires, but only the primary gets
the additional $100.

> There is no roaming on the new plans, and either the phone works
> without extra charges, or it does not work (except for 911 calls).

There is plenty of roaming on the new plans (the Extended Network is all
roaming), but there are no roaming *charges*. And there is no way to
distinguish between "there is a signal, but you are not allowed to use
it" and "no signal at all", other than calling 911 and seeing if it goes
through.

> There is no difference in charges (regular minutes used or free m2m)
> from areas shown as yellow (Verizon) or grey (partner) as long as they
> are digital.

Analog vs. digital is irrelevant. Any where you can make a call on the
new plans is IN (with the exception of a couple of small areas in the
East, I think).

> Analog areas will probably burn minutes since Caller ID info is
> unavailable.

Whether the phone on either end of the call can deal with CID is
irrelevant. CID is generated by the network, not the phone. And CID does
work on some analog systems.

> Are there any other "gotcha's" on this plan that I've overlooked?
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:50:50 AM

CharlesH wrote:

>> (I think I read something about using more than 50% of calls in one's
>> home area, but that's not a problem).
>
> That is a SprintPCS thing.

That is a Sprint PCS thing and really has nothing to do with
same-carrier-to-same-carrier calling. It's a roaming restriction on certain
calling plans. Sprint PCS-to-PCS calling works the same as Verizon IN calling.

> Whether the phone on either end of the call can deal with CID is
> irrelevant. CID is generated by the network, not the phone. And CID does
> work on some analog systems.

I'd say *most* analog systems. When moving from Cleveland to Apple Valley in
2003, I was a Verizon customer. I had CID all the way through, except for
Arkansas while roaming on Alltel's network, and I think that's because
Alltel's system was screwed up somehow and not properly passing CID. I've
had Caller ID even on my AMPS-only phones, as far back as I can remember.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:34:13 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> PS The colors are red and pink.

That is correct, on the coverage map brochure supplied by Verizon.

The website colors are yellow (full coverage) and grey (extended)

Went to a Circuit City store where the sales rep was able to access a
highly detailed map, with street names, and the extended area was shown
as grey. Wish I could access that map from my home computer. The area
I was most concerned about was western Maryland (Little Orleans), and
yes, it is covered (by US Cellular, I think, CDMA).

Lena
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 6:11:10 AM

I was talking about the colors seen when accessing the verizon web site
from your home computer. In my state most of the cellular roaming is
provided by uscellular and most of it is red.

Lena wrote:

> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>
>>PS The colors are red and pink.
>

> That is correct, on the coverage map brochure supplied by Verizon.
>
> The website colors are yellow (full coverage) and grey (extended)
>
> Went to a Circuit City store where the sales rep was able to access a
> highly detailed map, with street names, and the extended area was shown
> as grey. Wish I could access that map from my home computer. The area
> I was most concerned about was western Maryland (Little Orleans), and
> yes, it is covered (by US Cellular, I think, CDMA).
>
> Lena

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 6:11:11 AM

On my last trip to the Greater DC area, I had a VZW phone and we were
roaming on the Extended Network on USCellular. October 2002...

There was a place on the Pennsylvania Turnpike that was not extended, where
we would have paid for roaming on Cingular. I understand that hole may have
been patched with Extended coverage since then.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:43:32 AM

In article <1121426078.323576.325830@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote:
> The ad says "unlimited mobile to mobile .. to any Verizon Wireless
> customer with IN calling". Does this mean that some Verizon wireless
> customers do not have *IN* calling? How does one know if the customer
> has the *IN* calling plan?

Why would anyone use "push to talk", given that "in calling" is free. I
understand using push to talk instead of burning normal minutes. But
with In minutes being free and everywhere, why would anyone use push to
talk (and pay extra for the privilege)?

Just Me.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:51:48 PM

You are correct. The Verizon push to talk is not very cost efficient
expecially since you have to wait 15 seconds for it to connect.

Nextel push to talk is a totally differnt story. It is very responsive
and you do not have the long delay.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:15:47 AM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I was talking about the colors seen when accessing the verizon web site
> from your home computer. In my state most of the cellular roaming is
> provided by uscellular and most of it is red.

Must be a "red" state - "blue" state thing. On my color corrected monitor
(used for photo proofing) the Verizon web site shows the various areas as
yellow, gray and white.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:35:37 AM

On verizon's web site, the America's Choice Home Airtime Rate and
Coverage Area map shows the whole country including AK and HI. The
colors are red, pink and white on a white page with black outlines and
names. The red areas are in calling and all digital. The pink areas
are in calling, but analog. The white areas are no coverage.

!