Opteron 250 vs. Intel's Xeon 3.6 GHz in a Workstation

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2004 4:03:06 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:29:44 -0500, Ed <nosay@home.com> wrote:

>http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040927/index.html

Wow.. how long has the spec for Hypertransport been published and they
still managed to get nearly every single "fact" incorrect in that
section. Rather impressive! Most journalists would only screw up
once or twice per section!

Later on they even managed to get some facts incorrect when looking at
a picture showing as much, eg when talking about the "64K of L1 cache"
in the Opterons right above a picture of CPU-Z showing 128K of L1
cache (64K I-cache and 64K D-cache). They also really just don't seem
to get it when it comes to 32-bit vs. 64-bit memory addressing (not to
mention the fact that their information about physical data lines on
the Xeon is flat out wrong).

<sigh> I guess I shouldn't be TOO hard on them. After all, this is
just Tom's Hardware Guide we're talking about, it's not like they've
ever been a reputable source of accurate information. I guess they're
continuing their tradition of staying one (small) step ahead of the
totally cluelessness you find in the vast majority of print trade
rags.

Tony Hill