Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Using a standby router as a switch.

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 11:09:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I've got a Netgear router (fwg114p) but I need a few more ports. I
also have a Netgear RP614v2 that I could put on there temporarily
until a client needs it. .

I tried the following after resetting the settings to default.

1) Changed the 614's address to 192.168.0.100.
2) Changed the dhcp range that it handled to 192.168.0.101-150 so
there'd be no overlap with the other router. (there didn't seem to be
any way to turnoff DHCP.

Put it on the network by plugging the network cable into the Internet
port and then plugged a computer into it. I could access everything
on the Internet, but could not see any devices on the local network.

Then I tried plugging the network cable into one of the network ports.
Now I see all the local devices but not the Internet.

Any suggestions on how to make this work?


Scott Peterson

--
What would a chair look like if
your knees bent the other way?

349/586

More about : standby router switch

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:12:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Scott Peterson <scottp4.removethistoreply@mindspring.com> wrote in
news:10ervdpdq955if3@news.supernews.com:

>
>
> I've got a Netgear router (fwg114p) but I need a few more ports. I
> also have a Netgear RP614v2 that I could put on there temporarily
> until a client needs it. .
>
> I tried the following after resetting the settings to default.
>
> 1) Changed the 614's address to 192.168.0.100.

That device IP of the RP614v2 should be one of the static IP(s) of
fwg114p.

> 2) Changed the dhcp range that it handled to 192.168.0.101-150 so
> there'd be no overlap with the other router. (there didn't seem to be
> any way to turnoff DHCP.

The DHCP server on the RP614v2 router must be disabled.

>
> Put it on the network by plugging the network cable into the Internet
> port and then plugged a computer into it. I could access everything
> on the Internet, but could not see any devices on the local network.

It should be plugging LAN port to LAN port between the two routers no WAN
port is involved.

>
> Then I tried plugging the network cable into one of the network ports.
> Now I see all the local devices but not the Internet.


DHCP on the RP614v2 should be disabled and all machines connected to the
fwg114p which is the DHCP Server on the network or (RP614v2 now a switch)
should get a DHCP IP or use a static IP on the fwg114p.

Because RP614v2 has it's device IP set to one of the fwg114p static IP
(s), the machines connected to both router or the router/switch will be
able to see each other and also all machines can access the ADmin setup
on the RP614v2 using the static device IP assigned from the fwg114p. All
machines will be able to access the fwg114p Admin setup at its device IP
as well.

If the RP614v2 has a router or gateway mode, it should be set to router
mode. The RP614v2 should have the ability to disable the DHCP server and
you'll need to find out how to do it.

Duane :) 
July 9, 2004 12:50:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Scott Peterson wrote:
>
> I've got a Netgear router (fwg114p) but I need a few more ports. I
> also have a Netgear RP614v2 that I could put on there temporarily
> until a client needs it. .
>
> I tried the following after resetting the settings to default.
>
> 1) Changed the 614's address to 192.168.0.100.
> 2) Changed the dhcp range that it handled to 192.168.0.101-150 so
> there'd be no overlap with the other router. (there didn't seem to be
> any way to turnoff DHCP.
>
> Put it on the network by plugging the network cable into the Internet
> port and then plugged a computer into it. I could access everything
> on the Internet, but could not see any devices on the local network.
>
> Then I tried plugging the network cable into one of the network ports.
> Now I see all the local devices but not the Internet.
>
> Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Yes. Go and buy a small switch. Get a netgear with auto-uplink so you
don't get confused with crossover cables.


--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted.
!