Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Last Generation P4 Motherboards?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2004 11:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.

I currently have a PIII 850, but since I only do web surfing and word
processing, I don't really need anything more than, say, a 2GHz, or
even less, P4.

Can you guys tell me which of these P4 boards were the most reliable
over the last few years, and whether I can just move my HD's and
controller over to one of them. (Someone told me I'd have less
problems doing this on boards that have Intel chipsets, since that's
what my Abit uses?).

As, since I'd also like to upgrade my Win 98 to XP Home, what would be
the best way to go about this? Before or after I transfer my HD's?


Thanks a lot in advance.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2004 11:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:20:31 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
<newskat@katxyzkave.net> wrote:


>Make sure you get one that does the 800mhz FSB.

Why?He sated he doesn't need the latest and greatest.

I would look for an Asus P4B533 which is an 845 chipset mb (400/533mhz
FSB). Good mb.
October 4, 2004 1:52:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Why not get an Athlon XP processor instead? Motherboards for an
Athlon XP are inexpensive, and an Athlon XP2800+ is only around
$75.

Jim Lyons wrote:

> I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
> inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
> are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
> continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
> (WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>
> I currently have a PIII 850, but since I only do web surfing and word
> processing, I don't really need anything more than, say, a 2GHz, or
> even less, P4.
>
> Can you guys tell me which of these P4 boards were the most reliable
> over the last few years, and whether I can just move my HD's and
> controller over to one of them. (Someone told me I'd have less
> problems doing this on boards that have Intel chipsets, since that's
> what my Abit uses?).
>
> As, since I'd also like to upgrade my Win 98 to XP Home, what would be
> the best way to go about this? Before or after I transfer my HD's?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
Related resources
October 4, 2004 1:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Why not get an Athlon XP processor instead? Motherboards for an
Athlon XP are inexpensive, and an Athlon XP2800+ is only around
$80.

Jim Lyons wrote:

> I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
> inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
> are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
> continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
> (WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>
> I currently have a PIII 850, but since I only do web surfing and word
> processing, I don't really need anything more than, say, a 2GHz, or
> even less, P4.
>
> Can you guys tell me which of these P4 boards were the most reliable
> over the last few years, and whether I can just move my HD's and
> controller over to one of them. (Someone told me I'd have less
> problems doing this on boards that have Intel chipsets, since that's
> what my Abit uses?).
>
> As, since I'd also like to upgrade my Win 98 to XP Home, what would be
> the best way to go about this? Before or after I transfer my HD's?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2004 5:42:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:

>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.

>I currently have a PIII 850, but since I only do web surfing and word
>processing, I don't really need anything more than, say, a 2GHz, or
>even less, P4.

So why do you need an upgrade if your existing system is working fine?

>Can you guys tell me which of these P4 boards were the most reliable
>over the last few years, and whether I can just move my HD's and
>controller over to one of them. (Someone told me I'd have less
>problems doing this on boards that have Intel chipsets, since that's
>what my Abit uses?).

It probably doesn't matter since you are using the Promise to do your
RAID 0 and you are going to have to re-install the OS anyway because
of the new board.

>As, since I'd also like to upgrade my Win 98 to XP Home, what would be
>the best way to go about this? Before or after I transfer my HD's?

You have to update the OS after a new motherboard anyway so it's a
little pointless to install before changing motherboards. I'll
strongly suggest you backup any important data on CD before you
attempt the cross over.

--
L.Angel: I'm looking for web design work.
If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me :) 
Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
If you really want, FrontPage & DreamWeaver too.
But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated code
October 4, 2004 5:42:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:42:40 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>
>>I currently have a PIII 850, but since I only do web surfing and word
>>processing, I don't really need anything more than, say, a 2GHz, or
>>even less, P4.
>
> So why do you need an upgrade if your existing system is working fine?

Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

>>Can you guys tell me which of these P4 boards were the most reliable
>>over the last few years, and whether I can just move my HD's and
>>controller over to one of them. (Someone told me I'd have less
>>problems doing this on boards that have Intel chipsets, since that's
>>what my Abit uses?).
>
> It probably doesn't matter since you are using the Promise to do your
> RAID 0 and you are going to have to re-install the OS anyway because
> of the new board.

One *might* get away with cloning one drive off the other in a non-raid
configuration and then rebuild the array on the new board.

>>As, since I'd also like to upgrade my Win 98 to XP Home, what would be
>>the best way to go about this? Before or after I transfer my HD's?

Kill yourself... XP-Home?!

> You have to update the OS after a new motherboard anyway so it's a
> little pointless to install before changing motherboards. I'll strongly
> suggest you backup any important data on CD before you attempt the cross
> over.

Or, as I suggested, bust up the mirrors and copy the data from one to
another.

A friend is having trouble with his laptop (poorly partitioned from the
get-go and now seeems to have a virus), so I lent him my USB stick to see
if it would work to get his stuff off his drive so he could re-install.
There are ways of saving data. ...programs are a different issue, thanks
to the piss-poor way WinBlows works.

--
Keith
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2004 8:15:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:

>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.

Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)

>I currently have a PIII 850, but since I only do web surfing and word
>processing, I don't really need anything more than, say, a 2GHz, or
>even less, P4.
>
>Can you guys tell me which of these P4 boards were the most reliable
>over the last few years, and whether I can just move my HD's and
>controller over to one of them. (Someone told me I'd have less
>problems doing this on boards that have Intel chipsets, since that's
>what my Abit uses?).

It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether you go with an
Intel chipset or not. The PCI Bus device will have a different device code
and everything hanging off it, including your striped array, will have to
be rediscovered based on new .INF files and potentially drivers. Sounds
awfully risky (impossible ?) to me unless you break that Raid-0 into
standalone drives.

I've done literally dozens of Win9x chipset migrations without a reinstall
of the OS and it *is* possible but *can* get ugly... though I've never had
one fail to complete yet, once I've figured the correct path. Let me know
if you want more details on how.

>As, since I'd also like to upgrade my Win 98 to XP Home, what would be
>the best way to go about this? Before or after I transfer my HD's?

Do you want to keep Win98 as an option, IOW dual boot? WinXP is much more
difficult to do a chipset migration than Win98 so I'd say do the XP upgrade
after but strongly recommend XP Pro.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2004 11:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Thanks for all the advicer. Anybody knwo anything about the Abit IT-7
MAX2, or the ECS PT800CE-A?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2004 12:51:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Mike Kirkland wrote:
>
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:20:31 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
> <newskat@katxyzkave.net> wrote:
>
> >Make sure you get one that does the 800mhz FSB.
>
> Why?He sated he doesn't need the latest and greatest.

So why the subject line? "Best Last Generation P4 Motherboards?".

If you're spending money anyway, why not get something worth while,
such as 800 MHz with dual channel, Hyper Threading and a mb with Intel
875P chip set, SATA such as e.g. Gigabyte GA-8IK1100? That is what I
did and it didn't cost a lot.
October 5, 2004 1:52:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>
> Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
> wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)

Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
did.

--
Keith
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2004 6:42:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
>system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
>*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)

Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
:p Ppp
--
L.Angel: I'm looking for web design work.
If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me :) 
Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
If you really want, FrontPage & DreamWeaver too.
But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated code
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2004 3:48:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
info.

I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
threads that even mention it.

So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
considering how much you know about everything else

Thanks again in advance.

Jim
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2004 10:38:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:52:42 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>>>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>>>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>>>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>>>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>>
>> Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
>> wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)
>
>Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
>did.

Well with Win98 it's a certainty that something is going to go wrong at
some point, hardware quirks or no. If that something prevents the full &
correct switch from the RAID BIOS to the Promise protected mode driver...
boom goes a stripe array.

IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2004 11:31:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:

>Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
>info.
>
>I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
>a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
>is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
>threads that even mention it.

First it's a VIA chipset board and is limited to 533MT/s FSB. This is not
an enthusiast DIY mbrd so that might be a reason it's not mentioned much.
Basically it's a mbrd which is likely being sold into the low-end OEM
market. A quick search at Google groups turns up hits from Eastern
European NGs so maybe that's its err, niche.

Its price at www.newegg.com is $50. with an indication that it *might* be
capable of 800MT/s with overclock but IIRC VIA never got a license for the
800MT/s Intel FSB.

>So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
>considering how much you know about everything else

It might be OK but for a few $$ extra you'd be better off with an Intel
chipset.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
October 6, 2004 3:22:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
>>system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
>>*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)
>
> Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
> :p Ppp

I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
TonyH.

You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Anyway, Red Green is sora a red-neck, Canuck style. I guess it's a little
over-the Hill for antipodians, but a web search of "red green"
+ television might be interesting. ...but likely not. ;-)

One reasonably representative example result of said search would turn
up quotes such as (http:www.pbs.org/redgreen/):


NORTH OF FORTY


Why Mature Men Don't Ask for Directions When We're Lost

Okay it all comes down to pride. We're out there driving around in our
own vehicle, burning gas, wearing sunglasses, looking good. People who
see us driving by would never guess that we have no idea where we are.
And we don't want to tell them. Men don't enjoy the concept of going up
to total strangers and saying "You may not know this but I'm a moron."
In contrast the woman we're traveling with is often very anxious to
share this knowledge with the world. It somehow eases her burden. To
women, getting lost on a trip is a blameless act of nature - to men it's
a personal failure. He knew where he was when he left home - he doesn't
know where he is now. Somewhere along the line he crossed the line from
the world he knows into the world he doesn't know. To a man this is how
he felt when he got married or had kids. If he admits he's lost in the
car, he'll have to admit that he's lost everywhere and that's way too
much to ask. So just bite your tongue and circle the block a few more
times. Men aren't lost, they just go the long way.


-- or --

The Seven Stages of Parking

Stage One - You're a kid. All you have to park is your butt.

Stage Two - You're a teenager and you park with a girl who has a good
chance of being your future wife.

Stage Three - You're married with kids and are parking a mini-van at
McDonald's.

Stage Four - The kids are grown and working at McDonald's, you've
got a sports car and are caught parking with a girl
who has no chance of being your future wife.

Stage Five - You're parking in the garage for a while, where you're
also living.

Stage Six - You're old, no car no license no parking spot.

Stage Seven - You're parked. Permanently. In your own space. Even
has your name over it.

--
Keith
October 6, 2004 3:32:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:52:42 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>>>>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>>>>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>>>>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>>>>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>>>
>>> Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
>>> wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)
>>
>>Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
>>did.
>
> Well with Win98 it's a certainty that something is going to go wrong at
> some point, hardware quirks or no. If that something prevents the full &
> correct switch from the RAID BIOS to the Promise protected mode driver...
> boom goes a stripe array.

Booting from a striped arrray and having a stable Win9x system are not in
any way the same thing. As long as BIOS (on-board or in the I/O
channel) supports booting, any OS will boot. Once the OS takes over,
surrender all hope. ;-)

Yes, I did a lot of work with Promise "controllers" a *long* time ago.
They worked rather well even then for any OS I could throw at them. Of
course some didn't recognize anything other than the basic BIOS calls
(INT13H?).

> IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.

Sure they did! WinNT4 happily booted off a Promise controller in RAID-0.
I don't remember the specifics, other than that was one of my
compatability tests. I'm pretty sure they had full drivers available too.

Even OS/2 booted from a Promise RAID-0 array. ;-)

--
Keith
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2004 9:02:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>
>>>Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
>>>system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
>>>*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)
>>
>> Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
>> :p Ppp
>
>I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
>past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
>TonyH.
>
>You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
>on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
>have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Hey! Don't forget the beer! :>

"Keep your stick on the ice."

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2004 9:02:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>
>Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
>info.
>
>I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
>a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
>is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
>threads that even mention it.
>
>So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
>considering how much you know about everything else

Err, it's a VIA-based board, and a rather dated one at that. Newegg
sells them brand-new for $50, though for the price I'd probably spring
for the extra $18 for the faster and VIA-free MSI 865PE Neo2-V (or
even just spending $10 more for an MSI 848P Neo-V). Unless you're
really tight on cash, the extra performance and, more importantly,
fewer gray hairs being caused by VIA's rather... umm... tricky drivers
are more than worth it IMO.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2004 10:57:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:32:13 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:52:42 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>>>>>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>>>>>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>>>>>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>>>>>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>>>>
>>>> Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
>>>> wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)
>>>
>>>Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
>>>did.
>>
>> Well with Win98 it's a certainty that something is going to go wrong at
>> some point, hardware quirks or no. If that something prevents the full &
>> correct switch from the RAID BIOS to the Promise protected mode driver...
>> boom goes a stripe array.
>
>Booting from a striped arrray and having a stable Win9x system are not in
>any way the same thing. As long as BIOS (on-board or in the I/O
>channel) supports booting, any OS will boot. Once the OS takes over,
>surrender all hope. ;-)

It's the bit in the middle that gets ya.:-)

>Yes, I did a lot of work with Promise "controllers" a *long* time ago.
>They worked rather well even then for any OS I could throw at them. Of
>course some didn't recognize anything other than the basic BIOS calls
>(INT13H?).

Our hot-swappable drives with the Promise kit are still working very nicely
on the Win2K server. At 80GB they're now taking ~50mins to re-build though
- have to upgrade the mbrd.<sigh>

>> IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.
>
>Sure they did! WinNT4 happily booted off a Promise controller in RAID-0.
>I don't remember the specifics, other than that was one of my
>compatability tests. I'm pretty sure they had full drivers available too.

Funny it was in my head that they advised against that... or I read it
somewhere at Mickeysoft.<mumble><grumble>

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2004 7:46:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

"Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:nib7m0l554jk9cqibh84s7q6qrg818gk3o@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a
>>>>new
>>>>system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
>>>>*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)
>>>
>>> Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
>>> :p Ppp
>>
>>I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
>>past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
>>TonyH.
>>
>>You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
>>on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
>>have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)

Oh god not that show. As a Canadian I for one have never ever watched an
episode of that show. I have only seen segments while channel surfing and
the battery in my remote dies when it gets to that channel. Had to replace a
lot of batteries for my remote because of that show.


> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
October 7, 2004 2:09:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:02:48 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a new
>>>>system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
>>>>*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)
>>>
>>> Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
>>> :p Ppp
>>
>>I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
>>past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
>>TonyH.
>>
>>You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
>>on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
>>have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)
>
> Hey! Don't forget the beer! :>

It's drinkable. Since the pub's raised the price, I drink cheap or
better (for my birthday my wife bought Dos Equis - yum).
>
> "Keep your stick on the ice."

Now say the man's prayer.

--
Keith
October 7, 2004 2:12:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:46:27 +0000, Lee Waun wrote:

>
> "Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> news:nib7m0l554jk9cqibh84s7q6qrg818gk3o@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:22:17 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>>
>>>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:42:55 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:55:20 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Angel, Angel, Angel... Need you ask such silly questions? I bought a
>>>>>new
>>>>>system (my K6-III/400 is still working just fine), simply because I
>>>>>*could*. Perhaps you need to watch some _Red_Green_ to understand. ;-)
>>>>
>>>> Ok, I admit the red_green part totally went past my head, wat is it???
>>>> :p Ppp
>>>
>>>I thought you were part of the Kanuckistan discussions of months
>>>past, sorry. We were discussing such things here a while back with
>>>TonyH.
>>>
>>>You see "Red Green" is the only export Canada has that's worth commenting
>>>on (ok, other than the gas that I use to heat with - connection?), so I
>>>have to give due credit to TonyH and Canuckistan whenever possible. ;-)
>
> Oh god not that show. As a Canadian I for one have never ever watched an
> episode of that show. I have only seen segments while channel surfing and
> the battery in my remote dies when it gets to that channel. Had to replace a
> lot of batteries for my remote because of that show.

Like too many Canuckistani's you have no sense of humor. ...sometimes I
think my wife is Quebecois, but amazingly she's a Texan with a
Canuckistani sense of humor. ;-)

--
Keith
October 7, 2004 2:19:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:57:19 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:32:13 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:52:42 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>>>
>>>>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:15:11 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:56:42 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>I'd like to replace my Abit BH6 with one of the now, relatively
>>>>>>inexpensive, Socket 478, 400 or 533MHZ FSB, P4 motherboards people
>>>>>>are currently selling new on Ebay for under $50. But I'd like to
>>>>>>continue using the two, 80 GIG, ATA, Maxtor HD's I'm currently running
>>>>>>(WIN 98) in a RAID 0 array on a Promise controller.
>>>>>
>>>>> Am I reading this right? You're booting Win98 off a Raid-0 array? I
>>>>> wasn't sure that was possible but... life in the err, fast lane?:-)
>>>>
>>>>Why not, as long as the RAID controller has boot BIOS it should work. DOS
>>>>did.
>>>
>>> Well with Win98 it's a certainty that something is going to go wrong at
>>> some point, hardware quirks or no. If that something prevents the full &
>>> correct switch from the RAID BIOS to the Promise protected mode driver...
>>> boom goes a stripe array.
>>
>>Booting from a striped arrray and having a stable Win9x system are not in
>>any way the same thing. As long as BIOS (on-board or in the I/O
>>channel) supports booting, any OS will boot. Once the OS takes over,
>>surrender all hope. ;-)
>
> It's the bit in the middle that gets ya.:-)

The middle bit?? Promise raid controllers had boot BIOS. It's the end
bit that get's ya. Rather like my SATA drive under Linux. :-(

>>Yes, I did a lot of work with Promise "controllers" a *long* time ago.
>>They worked rather well even then for any OS I could throw at them. Of
>>course some didn't recognize anything other than the basic BIOS calls
>>(INT13H?).
>
> Our hot-swappable drives with the Promise kit are still working very
> nicely on the Win2K server. At 80GB they're now taking ~50mins to
> re-build though - have to upgrade the mbrd.<sigh>

That seems long, but 80GB is a lot of "stuff". I been contemplating such
a setup for a while, but haven't had the energy.
>
>>> IIRC none of the WinNT derivatives support booting off a RAID-0.
>>
>>Sure they did! WinNT4 happily booted off a Promise controller in
>>RAID-0. I don't remember the specifics, other than that was one of my
>>compatability tests. I'm pretty sure they had full drivers available
>>too.
>
> Funny it was in my head that they advised against that... or I read it
> somewhere at Mickeysoft.<mumble><grumble>

Dunno why. I was setting up drives that way back in the '88 timeframe.
I did quite a bit of drive performance testing (using system benchmarks
and Intels drive metrics) back then, some using these sorts of cards as
experiments, and WinNT-4 was the platform of choice.

--
Keith
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2004 2:56:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Thanks again for all the help you gave me on the board., guys, I took
your advice and lucked into a new or like-new, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB
(w/Intel 875P chip set, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading SATA/ATA RAID) etc.
for only $91 on Ebay .

Now I have to look around for a chip and some memory. I was wondering
if XT handled extended memory and resources better that Win 98 -- I
can't imagine it being any worse -- and whether I should opt 256Megs
512 Megs or more, given that I like to have multiple windows open when
I do web surfing, word processing, and several other things at the
same time.

Regards,

Jim





On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:02:49 -0400, Tony Hill
<hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:48:41 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:
>>
>>Thanks very, very much, especially to Tony and George, for the great
>>info.
>>
>>I think I found a MB - the Asus P4V8X-x -- that will fill my needs at
>>a real good price. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one
>>is that I can't find any reviews of it anywhere, and there are no NG
>>threads that even mention it.
>>
>>So I was hoping you guys might know something about this board,
>>considering how much you know about everything else
>
>Err, it's a VIA-based board, and a rather dated one at that. Newegg
>sells them brand-new for $50, though for the price I'd probably spring
>for the extra $18 for the faster and VIA-free MSI 865PE Neo2-V (or
>even just spending $10 more for an MSI 848P Neo-V). Unless you're
>really tight on cash, the extra performance and, more importantly,
>fewer gray hairs being caused by VIA's rather... umm... tricky drivers
>are more than worth it IMO.
>
>-------------
>Tony Hill
>hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2004 11:34:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:56:52 -0400, Jim Lyons <lyons432> wrote:

>Thanks again for all the help you gave me on the board., guys, I took
>your advice and lucked into a new or like-new, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB
>(w/Intel 875P chip set, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading SATA/ATA RAID) etc.
>for only $91 on Ebay .
>
>Now I have to look around for a chip and some memory. I was wondering
>if XT handled extended memory and resources better that Win 98 -- I
>can't imagine it being any worse -- and whether I should opt 256Megs
>512 Megs or more, given that I like to have multiple windows open when
>I do web surfing, word processing, and several other things at the
>same time.

While WinXP (not XT) is much better, Win98 wasn't really all that bad at
managing memory until you got above 512MB and even then it was trivial to
go higher.

First check the Asus web site (the global one at www.asus.com.tw) for
memory compatibility with the mbrd and I'd advise 512MB to start with on
2x256MB DIMMs - it's a dual channel mbrd and buying 2 128MB DIMMs is a bit
of a waste and won't save much, anyway.

Good luck with it.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 3:29:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:51:47 GMT, Johannes H Andersen
<johs@sizefitter.com> wrote:


>So why the subject line? "Best Last Generation P4 Motherboards?".
>
>If you're spending money anyway, why not get something worth while,
>such as 800 MHz with dual channel, Hyper Threading and a mb with Intel
>875P chip set, SATA such as e.g. Gigabyte GA-8IK1100? That is what I
>did and it didn't cost a lot.

Because he wants to do it on the cheap. I have both an 875 chipset mb
and an 845 chipset mb. For what he wants to spend and his purposes the
845 is all he needs.
!