FTP through Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

We are having trouble downloading via FTP through our Symantec
Firewall/VPN 200R and 100. Symantec's only suggestion is that they do
not support Passive FTP.

Well that's all fine and good, but this does not seem to explain why
we CAN download through FTP if I disable all Access Filters. When I
enable access filters, even if I check the FTP box to allow FTP, we
cannot download via FTP from any sites.

I have used IE 5 through to the latest patches of IE6, Netscape 7.1
and WS_FTP_LE. Our appliances are currently running firmware revision
V1 Rel 6Y.

Does anyone have any experience of this / suggestions for resolution?

Thanks

Julian

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On 9 Jul 2004 08:13:08 -0700, Julian Nunn spoketh

>We are having trouble downloading via FTP through our Symantec
>Firewall/VPN 200R and 100. Symantec's only suggestion is that they do
>not support Passive FTP.
>
>Well that's all fine and good, but this does not seem to explain why
>we CAN download through FTP if I disable all Access Filters. When I
>enable access filters, even if I check the FTP box to allow FTP, we
>cannot download via FTP from any sites.
>
>I have used IE 5 through to the latest patches of IE6, Netscape 7.1
>and WS_FTP_LE. Our appliances are currently running firmware revision
>V1 Rel 6Y.
>
>Does anyone have any experience of this / suggestions for resolution?
>
>Thanks
>
>Julian

I have the same problem, and the solution is to not use passive FTP, or
temporarily disable access filters while downloading over FTP.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net