Need advice on shutdown problems...

I think this is software related, but no one in the Windows ME ng would
offer any suggestions of what to look for. [I have a 3 yr old Gateway
Performance 1500/20GB/128MB RAM]

Recently, when it is supposed to power down to Stand By mode, the
monitor shuts down, but not the system.

One day after I turned the monitor completely off, while it was in SLEEP
mode [unthinking move, I know]; when I turned it back on my screen came
back, but the programs wouldn't start when I clicked anything... the
system had locked.

I went through a day, of trying to get the system to boot, sometimes
getting to the WinME logo and no further, sometimes not. Finally got a
safe boot screen to come up... and finally got an error message that
said this:
While initializing device IOS I/O sub-system driver failed to load.
Either a file in \IOSUBSYS subdirectory is corrupt - OR -
System is low on memory. SYSTEM HALTED

The next day after the system had sat overnight, it booted okay; but now
it is much... slower booting up and shutting down, and it now skips the
Gateway logo that used to come up before the WinME screen [FWIW].

The system still doesn't go into standby mode, and I am wondering if
someone can tell me... from the error message... if this sounds like a
video driver problem, software conflict, or actual memory problem. I
have never gotten any messages about being low on memory.

Also the only changes I had made to my system recently, was that I
downloaded Real Player 10 [only because I had to for something]. It is
not my default music player.

Any advice will be appreciated. I never know whether to be too brief,
or tell everything I am aware of. Hope the length doesn't scare
everyone off. TIA... :)

Barbara

Batman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

check the hard drive for problems. run scandisk and the diagnostic from the
disk manufacturer.

are you running up to date virus software? scanned to spyware and all the
other bad stuff out there?

maybe you could reinstall winme over itself and it will replace the system
files you're having trouble with.

you might consider replacing winme with winxp. you'll be much happier.
easier to just buy a new hard disk and put it in as your new c drive while
keeping your old disk as a second drive. or save all your files and use the
existing drive.