Heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat sink?

What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat sink in a
semiconductor device? I am confused in them. I hope that someone can
tell me the difference. Thank you for your answers.
9 answers Last reply
More about heat spreader heat slug heat sink

    Alice <AliceML_Lin@aseglobal.com> wrote:
    > What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat
    > sink in a semiconductor device?

    AFAIK, heat slug is just slang for heat spreader. Flat metal
    a few cm square.

    A heat spreader is attached by the chip mfr. It assures a
    level of temperature uniformity across the die, protects the
    die back, and makes attaching the heatsink easier at a slight
    cost in increased die temp.

    Most Intel CPUs since the original Pentium have had heat
    spreaders except for some Pentium!!! chips. Most AMD Athlons
    don't have heat spreaders, and the system builder attaches
    the heatsink directly to the die-back.

    A heatsink is a very different, separate thing. It has
    extended surface fins and often a fan to remove heat from the
    heatslug or die-back. Water cooled rigs have a transfer plate.

    -- Robert
    `

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:44:14 GMT, Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
    > Alice <AliceML_Lin@aseglobal.com> wrote:
    >> What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat
    >> sink in a semiconductor device?
    >
    > AFAIK, heat slug is just slang for heat spreader. Flat metal
    > a few cm square.

    The only use of the term heat slug that I've noticed is the heat pipe AMD
    used to transfer heat from the die to the surface of the package. It became
    unnecessary when Athlons were designed with the die on the surface of the
    package.

    Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<OMPcd.6291$Lk3.210@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Alice <AliceML_Lin@aseglobal.com> wrote:
    > > What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat
    > > sink in a semiconductor device?
    >
    > AFAIK, heat slug is just slang for heat spreader. Flat metal
    > a few cm square.

    Thank you for your answers. But I think the heat spreader is different
    from the heat slug in semiconductor package. Can you tell me the
    difference in detail? Thanks.

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:10:58 +0000, Mike Ching wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:44:14 GMT, Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
    >> Alice <AliceML_Lin@aseglobal.com> wrote:
    >>> What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat
    >>> sink in a semiconductor device?
    >>
    >> AFAIK, heat slug is just slang for heat spreader. Flat metal
    >> a few cm square.
    >
    > The only use of the term heat slug that I've noticed is the heat pipe AMD
    > used to transfer heat from the die to the surface of the package. It became
    > unnecessary when Athlons were designed with the die on the surface of the
    > package.

    I agree with your interpretation of "slug" (a heat transfer mechanism to
    the package surface), but not with "heat-pipe". A heat-pipe is widget
    that transfers heat from the device via a phase-change. Typically the
    surface of the chip boils a low vapor-pressure liquid and it condenses at
    the heat-sink end, moving heat in the process.

    --
    Keith

    On 17 Oct 2004 22:56:19 -0700, AliceML_Lin@aseglobal.com (Alice) wrote:

    >What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat sink in a
    >semiconductor device? I am confused in them. I hope that someone can
    >tell me the difference. Thank you for your answers.

    Slug and spreader have been used interchangably by some mfrs though I tend
    to think of a slug as a separate piece of (often copper) metal from the
    plate which contacts external cooling devices. IOW the slug is "glued" to
    the CPU die and the contact plate is "glued" to the contact plate which is
    often prettied up. I may be wrong but I think of a heat spreader as a
    combined slug and contact plate.

    In semiconductor devices in general a heatsink is generally a separate
    piece of finned metal, often painted black and in small devices, like
    voltage regulators and high current transistors, is often bolted to the
    device package, with some heatsink paste and maybe an insulating film
    (mica) in between. Of course with modern CPUs that heatsink is a big hunk
    of metal, some with esoteric finning arrangements and an attached fan to
    force cool it.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:45:02 -0400, George Macdonald
    <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

    >On 17 Oct 2004 22:56:19 -0700, AliceML_Lin@aseglobal.com (Alice) wrote:
    >
    >>What is the difference in heat spreader,heat slug ,and heat sink in a
    >>semiconductor device? I am confused in them. I hope that someone can
    >>tell me the difference. Thank you for your answers.
    >
    >Slug and spreader have been used interchangably by some mfrs though I tend
    >to think of a slug as a separate piece of (often copper) metal from the
    >plate which contacts external cooling devices. IOW the slug is "glued" to
    >the CPU die and the contact plate is "glued" to the contact plate which is
    >often prettied up. I may be wrong but I think of a heat spreader as a
    >combined slug and contact plate.

    <sigh>I hope you managed to interpret what I was trying to say above.:-)
    IOW the slug is glued to the CPU die and the contact plate/spreader is
    glued to the *slug*.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:04:36 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:10:58 +0000, Mike Ching wrote:

    >>> AFAIK, heat slug is just slang for heat spreader. Flat metal
    >>> a few cm square.
    >>
    >> The only use of the term heat slug that I've noticed is the heat pipe AMD
    >> used to transfer heat from the die to the surface of the package. It became
    >> unnecessary when Athlons were designed with the die on the surface of the
    >> package.
    >
    > I agree with your interpretation of "slug" (a heat transfer mechanism to
    > the package surface), but not with "heat-pipe". A heat-pipe is widget
    > that transfers heat from the device via a phase-change. Typically the
    > surface of the chip boils a low vapor-pressure liquid and it condenses at
    > the heat-sink end, moving heat in the process.

    I guess I should be more precise if I'm going to try to talk about
    terminology. I just used pipe in the sense that the transfer is mostly
    contained and was thinking of the contrast with a spreader where lateral
    transfer is the goal.

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:05:35 +0000, Mike Ching wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:04:36 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >>> The only use of the term heat slug that I've noticed is the heat pipe AMD
    >>> used to transfer heat from the die to the surface of the package. It became
    >>> unnecessary when Athlons were designed with the die on the surface of the
    >>> package.
    >>
    >> I agree with your interpretation of "slug" (a heat transfer mechanism to
    >> the package surface), but not with "heat-pipe". A heat-pipe is widget
    >> that transfers heat from the device via a phase-change. Typically the
    >> surface of the chip boils a low vapor-pressure liquid and it condenses at
    >> the heat-sink end, moving heat in the process.
    >
    > I guess I should be more precise if I'm going to try to talk about
    > terminology. I just used pipe in the sense that the transfer is mostly
    > contained and was thinking of the contrast with a spreader where lateral
    > transfer is the goal.

    I think you just hit it dead-on.

    Slug = thermal mass used to move heat to the sink
    Spreader = thermal conductor to move heat *latterally* to the sink's surface
    Pipe = transfer device using phase change to remofe heat

    Disagreements?

    --
    Keith

    keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    > I think you just hit it dead-on.
    >
    > Slug = thermal mass used to move heat to the sink
    > Spreader = thermal conductor to move heat *latterally* to the sink's surface
    > Pipe = transfer device using phase change to remofe heat
    >
    > Disagreements?

    Could be, but then I've never seen a heatslug. All have been
    bigger than the underlying die, so will do some lateral transfer.

    I was going to say that a heat slug might be some of those
    sink-less lids that used to be put on chips (8087) for obscure
    reasons (increased heat transfer, more uniform die temp?)

    -- Robert

CPUs Hardware Heat IBM