Athlon 64 with Asus Wireless Motherboard

Greets all,
Does anyone know if either of these are a good choice for a wireless network
.... am looking at either the Asus A7N8X Deluxe Wireless Edition or the more
expensive Asus A8V DWE.

TIA
--
Kate
5 answers Last reply

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:42:17 +0100, "Kate"
    <kate@REMOVEbillkath.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Greets all,
    >Does anyone know if either of these are a good choice for a wireless network
    >... am looking at either the Asus A7N8X Deluxe Wireless Edition or the more
    >expensive Asus A8V DWE.

    Err.. well to start with you're looking at two rather different
    boards. The A7N8X is a Socket A board for AthlonXP processors while
    the A8V would be a socket 939 or Socket 754 board for Athlon64 chips
    (Asus doesn't actually list an "A8V DWE on their website, though they
    do have a Socket 939 "A8V Deluxe", perhaps that's what you're looking
    at?).

    Also, it's very important to note that these boards do NOT come setup
    for wireless connectivity by default! They require an extra add-in
    card. It might be that the reseller is bundling this extra card along
    with the motherboard, but be VERY certain about that before you buy
    this product! Asus, by default, does NOT ship the add-in WiFi card
    with these motherboards.

    As for the comparison between the two as far as WiFi goes, the
    A7N8X-Deluxe comes with an 802.11b (11Mbps) wireless chip while the
    A8V Deluxe comes with the much faster 802.11g (54Mbps) wireless chip.
    The difference might not amount to much if all you're doing is sharing
    an internet connection (which would typically be limited to 3Mbps or
    less), but if you're going to do any file sharing between the devices
    the 802.11g access point of the A8V would be a rather significant
    advantage.

    All in all, I would tend to view the A8V Deluxe as being worth the
    extra money, though keep in mind that you might also be looking at a
    more expensive processor for that system. The cheapest Athlon64 chip
    will set you back $141 for an Athlon64 2800+ (a slightly slower and
    32-bit only Sempron 3100+ will fit in this board as well and cost you
    $124). To get similar performance on your A7N8X-Deluxe board, you
    would probably be looking at an AthlonXP 3000+ at $155 or 3200+ at
    $200, though if you can get by with a bit less performance you could
    pick up an AthlonXP 2600+ for only $96. (all prices care of
    www.newegg.com)

    Also, keep in mind that you can pick up a PCI WiFi card, usable in any
    motherboard, for only $40 (for a D-Link 802.11g card). It may end up
    being that the add-in WiFi card for the Asus boards mentioned above
    are just as expensive or even more expensive than this! In fact, if
    the add-in WiFi card is not being bundled with these boards, you might
    end up having a VERY hard time actually finding such a board, as this
    sort of design is usually really targeted at the OEM crowd (ie the
    Dell's and HPaq's of the world), not us mere mortals.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Thanx ever so much for your help Tony ... I'd wondered if the two boards
    supported different processors as this wasn't clear from info I'd seen.

    We're looking to put together and [wireless] network/internet connect two
    Athlon 64 systems and I'd read that this board has an 'user friendly set up
    wizard. A friend has spent hours trying to set up a similar system and
    finished up hardwiring the network ... we don't want to have to resort to
    that!

    The boards I've been looking at do come complete with "WiFi-gT card (PCI),
    S-ATA Leads (4x Data & Power), Firewire Riser, USB & Games Port Riser, IDE
    Lead, Floppy Lead, Quick Start Guide, User Guide, WinDVD, Driver CD, WiFi
    Driver and Back Plate ", so that sounds fine ...... methinks:-)

    > Also, it's very important to note that these boards do NOT come setup
    > for wireless connectivity by default! They require an extra add-in
    > card. It might be that the reseller is bundling this extra card along
    > with the motherboard, but be VERY certain about that before you buy
    > this product! Asus, by default, does NOT ship the add-in WiFi card
    > with these motherboards.

    By the extra add-in card, am I right to presume you mean this WiFi card?
    Do you think the Athlon 64 is as good as it's made out to be or is the XP
    equally good?

    Kate

    Kate,

    I suspect that the A8V may be sold in different bundles in the US (where I
    am) than in the UK. My A8V came with everything on your list, except the
    WiFi card. (That was fine with me, as I have no plans to use WiFi at this
    time.) Asus doesn't list the bundle with the card on their North American
    web site. If you want the card, make sure that the package you're purchasing
    is the one that includes it. The card may not be easy to obtain separately.

    I've had the A8V for about three weeks, with an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU. I like
    it, although it was not inexpensive. It's my first AMD system, so I can't
    compare it to any of their other products. (I've been using Intel based
    systems since 1995. For ten years before that, I was a Motorola user - as in
    Apple Macintosh.) Perhaps a Socket 754 A64 system or an Athlon XP would do
    the job for you, at lower cost.

    Regards,

    Bob Knowlden

    "Kate" <kate@REMOVEbillkath.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thanx ever so much for your help Tony ... I'd wondered if the two boards
    > supported different processors as this wasn't clear from info I'd seen.
    >
    > We're looking to put together and [wireless] network/internet connect two
    > Athlon 64 systems and I'd read that this board has an 'user friendly set
    > up
    > wizard. A friend has spent hours trying to set up a similar system and
    > finished up hardwiring the network ... we don't want to have to resort to
    > that!
    >
    > The boards I've been looking at do come complete with "WiFi-gT card (PCI),
    > S-ATA Leads (4x Data & Power), Firewire Riser, USB & Games Port Riser, IDE
    > Lead, Floppy Lead, Quick Start Guide, User Guide, WinDVD, Driver CD, WiFi
    > Driver and Back Plate ", so that sounds fine ...... methinks:-)
    >
    >> Also, it's very important to note that these boards do NOT come setup
    >> for wireless connectivity by default! They require an extra add-in
    >> card. It might be that the reseller is bundling this extra card along
    >> with the motherboard, but be VERY certain about that before you buy
    >> this product! Asus, by default, does NOT ship the add-in WiFi card
    >> with these motherboards.
    >
    > By the extra add-in card, am I right to presume you mean this WiFi card?
    > Do you think the Athlon 64 is as good as it's made out to be or is the XP
    > equally good?
    >
    > Kate

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:49:50 +0100, "Kate"
    <kate@REMOVEbillkath.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thanx ever so much for your help Tony ... I'd wondered if the two boards
    >supported different processors as this wasn't clear from info I'd seen.
    >
    >We're looking to put together and [wireless] network/internet connect two
    >Athlon 64 systems and I'd read that this board has an 'user friendly set up
    >wizard. A friend has spent hours trying to set up a similar system and
    >finished up hardwiring the network ... we don't want to have to resort to
    >that!

    Well I'm afraid I can't comment on that just yet, I haven't got any
    WiFi setup here at all just yet (I'm keeping my eye out for when a
    wireless router + PCI card /w Linux support goes on sale!)

    >The boards I've been looking at do come complete with "WiFi-gT card (PCI),
    >S-ATA Leads (4x Data & Power), Firewire Riser, USB & Games Port Riser, IDE
    >Lead, Floppy Lead, Quick Start Guide, User Guide, WinDVD, Driver CD, WiFi
    >Driver and Back Plate ", so that sounds fine ...... methinks:-)

    Yup, seems like it's got the whole kit. That first thing, the
    "WiFi-gT card (PCI)" seems like the add-in card I was talking about.

    >> Also, it's very important to note that these boards do NOT come setup
    >> for wireless connectivity by default! They require an extra add-in
    >> card. It might be that the reseller is bundling this extra card along
    >> with the motherboard, but be VERY certain about that before you buy
    >> this product! Asus, by default, does NOT ship the add-in WiFi card
    >> with these motherboards.
    >
    >By the extra add-in card, am I right to presume you mean this WiFi card?

    Yup, and it does indeed look like they are bundling the card with this
    board. You should be fine. Bob mentioned in another message that the
    bundle might be different on this side of the pond vs. what you're
    looking at in the UK, which is entirely possible.

    >Do you think the Athlon 64 is as good as it's made out to be or is the XP
    >equally good?

    The Athlon64 is a much more advanced processor that would be faster
    and have more features. The key extra features (64-bit compatibility
    and non-executable data pages (NX-bit) to help prevent against buffer
    overrun exploits) might not be a big advantage to you as Microsoft
    still has not released WinXP 64-bit (over a year late now and
    counting) and you'll be sitting behind a router/firewall. However the
    extra performance alone should make up for the relatively small price
    increase for an Athlon64.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Thanx for your comments Bob and Tony.

    The Athlon 64 3500+ is quite pricey, tho at ~ £100 the 3000+ seems
    reasonable.
    Not yet sure a Socket 754 is but am absolutely certain that *anything* would
    be faster than our 'antiques'.

    Hope you are a happy new-to-AMD user ... I too have been Intel for years.

    Kate

    Bob wrote:
    > I've had the A8V for about three weeks, with an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU. I
    like
    > it, although it was not inexpensive. It's my first AMD system, so I can't
    > compare it to any of their other products. (I've been using Intel based
    > systems since 1995. For ten years before that, I was a Motorola user - as
    in
    > Apple Macintosh.) Perhaps a Socket 754 A64 system or an Athlon XP would do
    > the job for you, at lower cost.
    >
    > Regards,

CPUs Wireless Asus Hardware Motherboards