Why does my computer keep dying?

I have an Abit AN7 motherboard with TwinMOS Original PC3200 memory,
and resently ordered a new CPU, AMD 3200+ 400FSB. Most of the time it
works just fine, but every once in a while (or everytime I run a
progam that puts some workload on the processor (like UT2004)) my
computer just stops.

I don't get blue screen and any sound played stops and gets stuck on
the last "sampel".

Acordning to my motherboard the CPU idles at 48 C and it's not hard to
get it over 55 C, or 60 C for that matter. Tried to cool my heatsink
in the frige, and then i could run UT2004 for some time, but then it
stoped on only 51 C.

Is bad cooling the reason my computer keeps getting stuck? Or could it
be something wrong with my CPU?

(I read a post that claims that one can't trust the temp reportings
from the MB, but thought it might be helpful any way)

Thanx a bunch for any help i can get!!

rinman wrote:
> I have an Abit AN7 motherboard with TwinMOS Original PC3200 memory,
> and resently ordered a new CPU, AMD 3200+ 400FSB. Most of the time it
> works just fine, but every once in a while (or everytime I run a
> progam that puts some workload on the processor (like UT2004)) my
> computer just stops.

Perhaps try running memtest86 overnight.
Your PSU could also be at fault, as a heavy CPU load will also put a
heavy load on the PSU.

-WD

Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in

> rinman wrote:
>> I have an Abit AN7 motherboard with TwinMOS Original PC3200 memory,
>> and resently ordered a new CPU, AMD 3200+ 400FSB. Most of the time it
>> works just fine, but every once in a while (or everytime I run a
>> progam that puts some workload on the processor (like UT2004)) my
>> computer just stops.
>
> Perhaps try running memtest86 overnight.
> Your PSU could also be at fault, as a heavy CPU load will also put a
> heavy load on the PSU.
>

> -WD

aye, if everything else seems OK check the PSU -- those can be a bitch. be
fine one time and the next KABLAM