Difference between EPS and ATX PSU

Hello,
What is the difference between EPS and ATX PSU ?
Can I put an ATX PSU with P4 Prescott - 775 ?
Thanks

keith

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:29:42 +0200, David Nguyen wrote:

> Hello,
> What is the difference between EPS and ATX PSU ?

Connectors.

> Can I put an ATX PSU with P4 Prescott - 775 ?

Ask in an Intel group. ;-) Seriously, you should look at the motherboard
manual to find such things. They are available on-line and if not boycott
the manufacturer.

My Tyan S2875S (for the Opteron, not Intel) was designed for EPS, though
it had the necessary connectors on it to allow an ATX12V supply (sorta
wierd plugging a drive cable into the motherboard, but...). It's a good
thing; cases with EPS supplies are rare as hen's teeth and expen$ive!

--
Keith

keith wrote:

> My Tyan S2875S (for the Opteron, not Intel) was designed for EPS, though
> it had the necessary connectors on it to allow an ATX12V supply (sorta
> wierd plugging a drive cable into the motherboard, but...). It's a good
> thing; cases with EPS supplies are rare as hen's teeth and expen$ive!

Full tower cases can usually take both ATX and eATX
motherboards, and your choice of ATX or EPS12V power
supplies.

Easy to find at the Lian-Li, EnLight, and ThermalTake sites.
Last few eATX cases and EPS12V PSUs I've bought have been
from www.lynncomp.com.

If you don't care about appearances, just get a rackmount
chassis.

Typical total cost for a steel eATX-capable tower case with
an Antec True550 EPS12V PSU is about $280 (Canadian). Add
about $80 for an aluminum case.

--
BOYCOTT GOOGLE !
Partners in crime with the scum that rules China.

keith

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:46:17 +0000, Rob Stow wrote:

> keith wrote:
>>
>> My Tyan S2875S (for the Opteron, not Intel) was designed for EPS, though
>> it had the necessary connectors on it to allow an ATX12V supply (sorta
>> wierd plugging a drive cable into the motherboard, but...). It's a good
>> thing; cases with EPS supplies are rare as hen's teeth and expen$ive!
>>

> Full tower cases can usually take both ATX and eATX
> motherboards, and your choice of ATX or EPS12V power
> supplies.

Sure, the S2875 takes both, but it's clearly set up for EPS12V (which is
expensive).

> Easy to find at the Lian-Li, EnLight, and ThermalTake sites. Last few
> eATX cases and EPS12V PSUs I've bought have been from www.lynncomp.com.

It's easy to find EPS12V supplies. ...harder to find an arrray of cases
with said supply and even harder to swollow the price. Commodity supplies
are ATX12V, which works well enough.

> If you don't care about appearances, just get a rackmount chassis.

....or cost. ...and *damned* are they ugly! Usefull, but ugly.

> Typical total cost for a steel eATX-capable tower case with an Antec
> True550 EPS12V PSU is about $280 (Canadian). Add about $80 for an
> aluminum case.

Sure, about twice as much as an equivalent ATX12V case. I'm sure
Maserattie's are fine autos too.

--
Keith

keith wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:46:17 +0000, Rob Stow wrote:
>

>>keith wrote:
>>
>>>My Tyan S2875S (for the Opteron, not Intel) was designed for EPS, though
>>>it had the necessary connectors on it to allow an ATX12V supply (sorta
>>>wierd plugging a drive cable into the motherboard, but...). It's a good
>>>thing; cases with EPS supplies are rare as hen's teeth and expen$ive!
>>>

>>Full tower cases can usually take both ATX and eATX
>>motherboards, and your choice of ATX or EPS12V power
>>supplies.
>

> Sure, the S2875 takes both, but it's clearly set up for EPS12V (which is
> expensive).
>
>>Easy to find at the Lian-Li, EnLight, and ThermalTake sites. Last few
>>eATX cases and EPS12V PSUs I've bought have been from www.lynncomp.com.
>

> It's easy to find EPS12V supplies. ...harder to find an arrray of cases
> with said supply and even harder to swollow the price. Commodity supplies
> are ATX12V, which works well enough.
>

>>If you don't care about appearances, just get a rackmount chassis.
>

> ...or cost.

You also usually get more too - more drive bays,
better layout, and the case fans tend to be included
rather than a separate purchase.

Often much cheaper just to buy a used server just for
the case, then gut it. Same principle applies when
you want a tower case.

>...and *damned* are they ugly! Usefull, but ugly.

Which is why they are only used by people who either
care only about the functionality or who are
willing to put a lot of time into dressing them up.

I once dressed one up with oak panelling and a solid
oak face plate. Did wonders for noise reduction, too.
Used stock I had on hand - cost me nothing but my
spare time. Someone else liked it so much he traded
me a brand new Lian-Li aluminum tower for it.

>>Typical total cost for a steel eATX-capable tower case with an Antec
>>True550 EPS12V PSU is about $280 (Canadian). Add about $80 for an
>>aluminum case.
>

> Sure, about twice as much as an equivalent ATX12V case. I'm sure
> Maserattie's are fine autos too.

I tend to get full towers anyway, so no savings for me
there. I like lots more drive bays than you get in a
typical mid-tower - preferably drive bays that don't
obstruct my access to the motherboard. The only
additional expense for me thus tends to be in the PSU -
EPS12V instead of plain vanilla ATX.