Power supply recommendations for 915G chipset

As George Macdonald was nice enough to point out in his reply to to my
post above titled "DDR2 memory--must it be bought in pairs", the new
intel 9xx chipsets require a slightly different power supply (ATX12V
V2.0) with a 24-pin mobo connector, as opposed to the usual 20-pin. I
was just wondering who makes good (and very quiet) power supplies with
teh 24-pin connector and where can I get one? I bought most of the
components for my new system from newegg, but they don't seem to have
standalone power supplies. Help would be appreciated--thanks.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:09:48 -0400, TheKeith <no@spam.com> wrote:

>As George Macdonald was nice enough to point out in his reply to to my
>post above titled "DDR2 memory--must it be bought in pairs", the new
>intel 9xx chipsets require a slightly different power supply (ATX12V
>V2.0) with a 24-pin mobo connector, as opposed to the usual 20-pin. I
>was just wondering who makes good (and very quiet) power supplies with
>teh 24-pin connector and where can I get one?

I hope you saw my correction to the post in the previous thread - you *can*
use a ATX12V V1.2/3 with a 20-pin connector in the 24-pin socket - if not:
http://www.antec.com/pdf/article/ATX12v2.html. That may be somewhat
unsatisfying as a solution but unless you have a high PCI-Express load it
won't be a problem; the increased CPU load which could necessitate the
ATX12V V2.0 likely won't be seen for a while yet.

> I bought most of the
>components for my new system from newegg, but they don't seem to have
>standalone power supplies. Help would be appreciated--thanks.

Yes NewEgg does sell power supplies but you'll note that, so far, many of
the ATX12V V2.0 ones seem to be at the top end of the wattage scale and
there are very few cases which come with one as part of the kit... also
NewEgg doesn't seem to have realized the need to differentiate the
different connectors in their product descriptions. The new Antec NeoPower
models seem to me like a good idea, with the detachable, socketed cables
but it's a 480W and err, kinda expensive.

For a run-down on all the different power supply types, there is good info
at http://www.power-on.com/ and they also have adaptors for just about any
combo - note the pop-ups of pinouts for the connectors on the details page
for each P/S.

Rgds, George Macdonald

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:28:58 -0400, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

>I hope you saw my correction to the post in the previous thread - you *can*
>use a ATX12V V1.2/3 with a 20-pin connector in the 24-pin socket - if not:
>http://www.antec.com/pdf/article/ATX12v2.html. That may be somewhat
>unsatisfying as a solution but unless you have a high PCI-Express load it
>won't be a problem; the increased CPU load which could necessitate the
>ATX12V V2.0 likely won't be seen for a while yet.

I've seen self printed posters from local antec distributor that shows
them using a 20pin on a 9xx board, just plug it in and ignore the
empty holes :pppPp

While I've never tried a 9xx board, according to my friends and my own
experiments, most boards with the 4pin ATX12V connector usually only
draw a marginal amount of power through it.

In article <417f24d5.36079234@news.singnet.com.sg>, a?n?g?e?
l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com says...
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:28:58 -0400, George Macdonald
> <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
>
> >I hope you saw my correction to the post in the previous thread - you *can*
> >use a ATX12V V1.2/3 with a 20-pin connector in the 24-pin socket - if not:
> >http://www.antec.com/pdf/article/ATX12v2.html. That may be somewhat
> >unsatisfying as a solution but unless you have a high PCI-Express load it
> >won't be a problem; the increased CPU load which could necessitate the
> >ATX12V V2.0 likely won't be seen for a while yet.
>
> I've seen self printed posters from local antec distributor that shows
> them using a 20pin on a 9xx board, just plug it in and ignore the
> empty holes :pppPp

That's the way my Tyan S2875S works. The ATX connector is keyed and
only fits in the right holes in the EPS12V connector. The 4-pin ATX
connector fits in the right holes on the 8-pin EPS12V socket and the 4-
pin connector fits a drive cable. The latter kinda threw me, but...

For a picture of the setup, see (bottom of page 31):
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2875_102.pdf

--
Keith

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:09:48 -0400, TheKeith <no@spam.com> wrote:

>As George Macdonald was nice enough to point out in his reply to to my
>post above titled "DDR2 memory--must it be bought in pairs", the new
>intel 9xx chipsets require a slightly different power supply (ATX12V
>V2.0) with a 24-pin mobo connector, as opposed to the usual 20-pin. I
>was just wondering who makes good (and very quiet) power supplies with
>teh 24-pin connector and where can I get one? I bought most of the
>components for my new system from newegg, but they don't seem to have
>standalone power supplies. Help would be appreciated--thanks.

If you want to get a top quality PS, you can get a PC Power and
Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express. PC Power and Cooling power supplies
are much higher quality than Taiwan brands like Antec, but they are
also much more expensive. Unfortunately, they don't make an Express
model in the quieter (and cheaper) Silencer product line. Here's a
link:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/510/index.htm
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 04:34:19 GMT,
a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

>While I've never tried a 9xx board, according to my friends and my own
>experiments, most boards with the 4pin ATX12V connector usually only
>draw a marginal amount of power through it.

I know it's bad form to followup to myself, but I just realized that
could be read wrongly. I meant marginal +12V power drawn through the
main ATX connector if there is a 4pin ATX12V connector.

keith

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:54:41 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 04:34:19 GMT,
> a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:
>
>>While I've never tried a 9xx board, according to my friends and my own
>>experiments, most boards with the 4pin ATX12V connector usually only
>>draw a marginal amount of power through it.
>
> I know it's bad form to followup to myself, but I just realized that
> could be read wrongly. I meant marginal +12V power drawn through the
> main ATX connector if there is a 4pin ATX12V connector.

I understood that. ...but was also a tad curious at how you reached this
conclusion. Do you have a clam-on current meter?

--
Keith

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:42:52 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>> I know it's bad form to followup to myself, but I just realized that
>> could be read wrongly. I meant marginal +12V power drawn through the
>> main ATX connector if there is a 4pin ATX12V connector.
>
>I understood that. ...but was also a tad curious at how you reached this
>conclusion. Do you have a clam-on current meter?

Oh, we had the leftover bridge from my other curiousity sating run on
power that I bullied my friend into making :ppPP

Basically, he wired those 4-pin connectors, 20 pin ATX connectors etc
so that we have all the 12v on one side and so forth. It makes it easy
to use the clamp on meter to measure the whole bunch of same voltage
wires as well as allowing us to measure the voltage drop (idea
courtesy of the good folks from S.E.B) across a 1 milli ohm current
sense resistor.