Security, IP Masking & Proxy Servers

Hi there,

I mentioned to a colleague at work that I had a static IP and only a
software firewall on my PC. All this through a Cable modem.

She seemed to think it was funny, implying that my PC isn't secure,
especially to those who might approve of my some of the software I
download.

She had suggested that I needed either a remote proxy service or a
router to divert traffic and/or mask my IP. Is this paranoia and if not
what measure should I take?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about security masking proxy servers

    Strider wrote:

    > I mentioned to a colleague at work that I had a static IP and only a
    > software firewall on my PC. All this through a Cable modem.
    >
    > She seemed to think it was funny, implying that my PC isn't secure,
    > especially to those who might approve of my some of the software I
    > download.
    >
    > She had suggested that I needed either a remote proxy service or a
    > router to divert traffic and/or mask my IP. Is this paranoia and if not
    > what measure should I take?

    A software firewall is good. A software firewall together with some kind of
    external firewallish hardware, such as a router, is better, since the latter
    most likely would not be compromised by e.g. a trojan.

    Thor

    --
    http://www.anta.net/

Firewalls Security Networking