Solaris 10 for AMD64 launch Nov 15th

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.solaris.x86,comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html

Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite starting
nearly two years later!

Yousuf Khan

--
Sending me email: if you can reply to this newsgroup posting, you will have
to go through an identity challenge-response system. Alternatively, you can

rush

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
>
> Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite
> starting nearly two years later!

It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn will
have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to properly
certificate your software :).

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

RusH wrote:
> It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
> doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn
> will have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to
> properly certificate your software :).

Since when is Solaris not a proper Unix?

Yousuf Khan

rush

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

> RusH wrote:
>> It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
>> doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn
>> will have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to
>> properly certificate your software :).
>
> Since when is Solaris not a proper Unix?

Well, it doesnt have UNIX 2003 Certification - it was a joke :).

Pozdrawiam.
--

RusH wrote:

> It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
> doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn will
> have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to properly
> certificate your software :).

Which certificate in particular is that. It was my understanding that
Sun is in compliance with all Unix standards. Solaris is based upon
ATT's Unix 4.0 source code. A good starting point.

Paul

RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl> writes:

>"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :

>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
>>
>> Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite
>> starting nearly two years later!

>It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
>doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn will
>have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to properly
>certificate your software :).

Solaris does have a Unix certificate. (Of course, currently shipping
product was released well before the current [UNIX2003] standard so
it couldn't possible have been compliant)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

RusH wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :
>> Since when is Solaris not a proper Unix?
>
> Well, it doesnt have UNIX 2003 Certification - it was a joke :).

Okay, I've never heard of that one until now (been generally not following
current Solaris for a couple of years). I assume that this is the lastest
SVR and Posix compliance standards?

Yousuf Khan

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:10:14 +0000 (UTC), RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl>
wrote:
>It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
>doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn will
>have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to properly
>certificate your software :).

*laff* Yesh, I guess we can't blame Microsoft for the delays they need
to properly certified Longhorn for Windows 3.11, 95, 98, NT, 2K, ME
and XP :pPpP

RusH wrote:

> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :
>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
>>
>> Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite
>> starting nearly two years later!
>
> It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
> doesnt have a Unix Certificate.

True... But a successful OS in it's own right.

> On the other hand Windows Longhorn will
> have all the available Windows certificates.

And it too, will have no unix certs....

> It takes time to properly certificate your software :).

Who certifies Longhorn? Oh yeah... Microsoft does. Really means a lot to
me... NOT!

Registered Linux User Number 185956
FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
8:48pm up 22 days, 4:34, 5 users, load average: 3.03, 2.93, 2.77

"RusH" <logistyka1@pf.pl> wrote in message
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote :
>
> > http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
> >
> > Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite
> > starting nearly two years later!
>
> It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
> doesnt have a Unix Certificate. On the other hand Windows Longhorn will
> have all the available Windows certificates. It takes time to properly
> certificate your software :).
>
> Pozdrawiam.
> --
> RusH //
> http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
> Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery.
> You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

If I own'd my own OS then I would def produce certificates too..
Another selling point.

U¿ytkownik RusH napisa³:

> It's all about certificates. Solaris is not even a proper Unix, it
> doesnt have a Unix Certificate.

Check http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

It seems Solaris is a VERY PROPER UNIX.
I am sure Solaris 10 , after it is oficially launched, will be added to
the register.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
>
> Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite starting
> nearly two years later!
>
> Yousuf Khan

It's been possible to download Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for ages.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
and
Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.

Tom.

"Tom" <tom.thornhill-REMOVETHIS@freenet.de> wrote in message

| "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
| > http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
| >
| > Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite starting
| > nearly two years later!
| >
| > Yousuf Khan
| >

| It's been possible to download Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for
ages.

| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
|
| And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
| and
| Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.

The structure for the Itaniums (IA64) and the Athlon 64 (x86-64) is
completely different.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message news:s%Shd.17237$T_.3425@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

> "Tom" <tom.thornhill-REMOVETHIS@freenet.de> wrote in message
> |
> | "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> | > http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
> | >
> | > Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite starting
> | > nearly two years later!
> | >
> | > Yousuf Khan
> | >

> | It's been possible to download Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for
> ages.
> |
> | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
> |
> | And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
> | and Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.
> |

> The structure for the Itaniums (IA64) and the Athlon 64 (x86-64) is
> completely different.

Yes, I know, as is the Alpha.

But the Win64 kernel has run on all of them. They switched from Alpha to
Itanium back in 1999.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FOX/is_15_4/ai_55675956

Interestingly the 64 bit Windows Server stuff still runs on Itanium - you can download it
here for Itanium
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/ipf/default.mspx
or here for x86-64
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/default.mspx

but the desktop stuff seems to be x86-64 only
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Tom.

Dee

Tom wrote:

> "Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message news:s%Shd.17237$T_.3425@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
>>"Tom" <tom.thornhill-REMOVETHIS@freenet.de> wrote in message
>>|
>>| "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message

>>| It's been possible to download Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for
>>ages.
>>|
>>| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
>>|
>>| And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
>>| and Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.
>>|

>>The structure for the Itaniums (IA64) and the Athlon 64 (x86-64) is
>>completely different.
>

> Yes, I know, as is the Alpha.
>
> But the Win64 kernel has run on all of them. They switched from Alpha to
> Itanium back in 1999.
>
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FOX/is_15_4/ai_55675956
>
> Interestingly the 64 bit Windows Server stuff still runs on Itanium - you can download it
> here for Itanium
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/ipf/default.mspx
> or here for x86-64
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/default.mspx
>
> but the desktop stuff seems to be x86-64 only
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
>
> Tom.

I can't find the link right now, but there is a Windows XP Professional
IA64 for Itanium processors also. People in the X64 forum have tried
"updating" their version of X64 with the IA64 updates. Needles to say,
they don't work!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.solaris.x86,comp.arch,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:58:43 +0100, "Tom"
<tom.thornhill-REMOVETHIS@freenet.de> wrote:

>"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/29/HNsolarislaunch_1.html
>>
>> Launched several quarters ahead of Microsoft Windows, despite starting
>> nearly two years later!
>>

>It's been possible to download Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for ages.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Yes, for a beta version. However the actual release version of XP for
x64 seems to be quite some ways off.

>And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
>and
>Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.

The Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC ports of Windows were never really
full-fledged 64-bit OSes. More of a 32-bit OS running on 64-bit
hardware with the odd extra thrown in here or there. Of course, all
of those ports died out quite some time ago.

Windows is available in a full-release version for IA-64 (Itanium),
and it is a full-fledged 64-bit OS in every sense of the word.
However that doesn't have much to do with Windows for x64 (aka
AMD64/EM64T/x86-64). Similarly Solaris has been available as a
full-fledged 64-bit OS for SPARC for a good bit of time (6 or 7
years?)

-------------
Tony Hill

In article <q9sgo0tjlaucjob5tfib00k7iu5su0f4f8@4ax.com>,
Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> writes:

> The Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC ports of Windows were never really
> full-fledged 64-bit OSes. More of a 32-bit OS running on 64-bit
> hardware with the odd extra thrown in here or there. Of course, all
> of those ports died out quite some time ago.
>
> Windows is available in a full-release version for IA-64 (Itanium),
> and it is a full-fledged 64-bit OS in every sense of the word.

Well, kind of. If you ignore that Microsoft have decided to stop
porting any more of their applications to it, and many ISV's
who ported their own applications have now ceased support for the
platform. If you look at Microsoft's list of OEMs shipping 64-bit
Windows, HP was the only one with any volume at all, and they
recently announced they are ceasing production of Itanium workstations.

> However that doesn't have much to do with Windows for x64 (aka
> AMD64/EM64T/x86-64). Similarly Solaris has been available as a
> full-fledged 64-bit OS for SPARC for a good bit of time (6 or 7
> years?)

Solaris was the first OS to be up and running on the Itanium
emulators too (Solaris 7).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 01:16:11 -0500, Tony Hill wrote:

>>And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
>>and
>>Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.
>
> The Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC ports of Windows were never really
> full-fledged 64-bit OSes. More of a 32-bit OS running on 64-bit hardware
> with the odd extra thrown in here or there. Of course, all of those ports
> died out quite some time ago.

I think he meant that the initial development of 64bit Windows port
(destined for IA64) was done with Alphas before the first Itanium hardware
showed up at Redmond. This apparently carried on even after Compaq dropped
the Alpha port of W2K beta 2 (or was it beta 3?).

Cheers
Anton

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"AD." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:pan.2004.11.03.07.32.33.597973@privacy.net...
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 01:16:11 -0500, Tony Hill wrote:
>
> >>And I suspect that internally Win64 has apparantly been running on Alphas
> >>and Itaniums (maybe even MIPS R4000s) for years.
> >
> > The Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC ports of Windows were never really
> > full-fledged 64-bit OSes. More of a 32-bit OS running on 64-bit hardware
> > with the odd extra thrown in here or there. Of course, all of those ports
> > died out quite some time ago.
>
> I think he meant that the initial development of 64bit Windows port
> (destined for IA64) was done with Alphas before the first Itanium hardware
> showed up at Redmond. This apparently carried on even after Compaq dropped
> the Alpha port of W2K beta 2 (or was it beta 3?).

Yeah exactly . They kept Alpha alive as a 64bit dev platform while they waited for
Itaniums -

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FOX/is_15_4/ai_55675956

And Win64 _could_ have run on the R4000 while they were waiting for Alphas,
though I can't find any reference to that happening

> Cheers
> Anton

TRENDING THREADS