duplicate sound and graphics ports?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have following doubt..
I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics
properties.
but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.?
so after installing the separate sound and graphics card,
do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt
and other from separate card)?

Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
ports?

regards,
bob

On 31 Oct 2004 04:26:17 -0800, bob_peterson@rediffmail.com (Bob)
wrote:

>but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.?
>so after installing the separate sound and graphics card,
>do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt
>and other from separate card)?
>
>Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
>ports?

You should be able to disable the onboard sound and graphics from the
BIOS. But I've never used that particular board so Intel might refused
to do things the ways others do it :pPpP

wrote:

>I have following doubt..
>I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics
>properties.
>but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.?
>so after installing the separate sound and graphics card,
>do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt
>and other from separate card)?
>
>Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
>ports?

Plugging an AGP video card into an i845 motherboard will disable the
built-in video automatically. Just make sure you plug the cable in to
the right connector in the back of the computer and your off to the
races.

Plugging in an add-in sound card will, generally speaking, NOT disable
the built-in sound. If you wanted to you could disable the built-in
sound through the BIOS, pretty much every system in the world with
integrated sound has an option to disable this in the BIOS.
Alternatively you can actually use both the built-in and add-in sound
cards at the same time, though reasons for doing so are pretty few and
far between.

-------------
Tony Hill

Yousuf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004

Bob wrote:
> I have following doubt..
> I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics
> properties.
> but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.?
> so after installing the separate sound and graphics card,
> do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt
> and other from separate card)?
>
> Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics
> ports?

These days, there's very little reason to disable any of your onboard
devices when adding external devices. Because of Plug'n'Play,
peripherals don't conflict with each other anymore like they used to in
the olden days. Adding an additional video card will probably simply
result in having two video cards, with one being the default. The same
is said about the sound cards. All you have to do is choose which one
you want to be the default, and all your software will automatically go
through those devices.

Yousuf Khan