Eprom burning - help please

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2004 2:10:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Please can someone help me. I have bought a TOP 2003 programmer as I
want to burn eproms for pinball machines. I am new to programming and
the instructions included are not particualrly detailed. I have erased
the eproms and they are testing as blank. I have also set the eprom
type and loaded the code from the Stern website (I have copied these
from the website - they are showing as a .2-7 file extension which I
can copy but the computer will not allow me to actually open it as it
does not recognise the programme needed - that said when I load it in
the progammer software, it does seem to be able to read the codes).
However, the instructions pretty much stop there. I have been going
round in circles for hours trying to get the eproms to programme. The
problem is I dont really understand the terminology such as "buffers"
and where do you get the start and end points from etc. I have tried
and have set it to program and it verifies OK, but the eproms remain
blank! Please can anyone help with an idiot proof step-by-step guide
to programming eproms!

More about : eprom burning

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2004 12:34:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with your type of programmer, otherwise I'd
be glad to help.

Which file(s) are you downloading with .2-7 extensions? From my experience,
the ROMS on Stern's site are in zip format, then you extract them. The
extension doesn't really matter, just make sure you unzip the zip files.

--john

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com
"charleychops" <charleychops61@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Please can someone help me. I have bought a TOP 2003 programmer as I
> want to burn eproms for pinball machines. I am new to programming and
> the instructions included are not particualrly detailed. I have erased
> the eproms and they are testing as blank. I have also set the eprom
> type and loaded the code from the Stern website (I have copied these
> from the website - they are showing as a .2-7 file extension which I
> can copy but the computer will not allow me to actually open it as it
> does not recognise the programme needed - that said when I load it in
> the progammer software, it does seem to be able to read the codes).
> However, the instructions pretty much stop there. I have been going
> round in circles for hours trying to get the eproms to programme. The
> problem is I dont really understand the terminology such as "buffers"
> and where do you get the start and end points from etc. I have tried
> and have set it to program and it verifies OK, but the eproms remain
> blank! Please can anyone help with an idiot proof step-by-step guide
> to programming eproms!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2004 2:13:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,rec.games.pinball (More info?)

When I go on to the Stern website, the list of codes as it were is in
zip format and I can open that. Then I have to choose the specific
code that I am after for the machine. This has a file extension ending
in .2-7. I try to open this but get a message that the computer does
not recognise the type of file and I need to search for a programme to
open it using the web.I ask the computer to do this, but it still
cannot find the appropriate programme. I can copy the file into a
folder without opening it, which is what I have done, and then loaded
it from there into the burning programme. Should I be actually opening
the file and manually reading the start and finish codes etc? If so,
what programme do I need to open them? All help appreciated.

"John Wart, jr" <johnwartjr@johnwartjr.com> wrote in message news:<vTchd.281417$wV.199300@attbi_s54>...
> Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with your type of programmer, otherwise I'd
> be glad to help.
>
> Which file(s) are you downloading with .2-7 extensions? From my experience,
> the ROMS on Stern's site are in zip format, then you extract them. The
> extension doesn't really matter, just make sure you unzip the zip files.
>
> --john
>
> --
> http://www.myhomegameroom.com
> "charleychops" <charleychops61@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Please can someone help me. I have bought a TOP 2003 programmer as I
> > want to burn eproms for pinball machines. I am new to programming and
> > the instructions included are not particualrly detailed. I have erased
> > the eproms and they are testing as blank. I have also set the eprom
> > type and loaded the code from the Stern website (I have copied these
> > from the website - they are showing as a .2-7 file extension which I
> > can copy but the computer will not allow me to actually open it as it
> > does not recognise the programme needed - that said when I load it in
> > the progammer software, it does seem to be able to read the codes).
> > However, the instructions pretty much stop there. I have been going
> > round in circles for hours trying to get the eproms to programme. The
> > problem is I dont really understand the terminology such as "buffers"
> > and where do you get the start and end points from etc. I have tried
> > and have set it to program and it verifies OK, but the eproms remain
> > blank! Please can anyone help with an idiot proof step-by-step guide
> > to programming eproms!
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2004 11:38:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On 31 Oct 2004 11:10:35 -0800, charleychops61@hotmail.com
(charleychops) put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Please can someone help me. I have bought a TOP 2003 programmer as I
>want to burn eproms for pinball machines. I am new to programming and
>the instructions included are not particualrly detailed. I have erased
>the eproms and they are testing as blank. I have also set the eprom
>type and loaded the code from the Stern website (I have copied these
>from the website - they are showing as a .2-7 file extension ...

Can you post a URL for one of these ".2-7" files, and to the
programming software?

>... which I
>can copy but the computer will not allow me to actually open it as it
>does not recognise the programme needed - that said when I load it in
>the progammer software, it does seem to be able to read the codes).
>However, the instructions pretty much stop there. I have been going
>round in circles for hours trying to get the eproms to programme. The
>problem is I dont really understand the terminology such as "buffers"
>and where do you get the start and end points from etc. I have tried
>and have set it to program and it verifies OK, but the eproms remain
>blank! Please can anyone help with an idiot proof step-by-step guide
>to programming eproms!

Your device programming software expects to see the binary image in a
RAM buffer on your PC. It writes this entire buffer, or a portion of
it, to either the whole device, or part of it. For example, the EPROM
image may be 4K bytes, but your EPROM may be 8K bytes. In this case
you will need to specify whether the 4KB image is to be programmed
into the lower 4KB of your EPROM, or to the upper half.

For a 4K buffer, the start and end points of the binary image may be
0000 and 0FFF, respectively. If you intend to program the upper 4KB of
an 8KB EPROM, then the target buffer would be 1000 to 1FFF.

- Franc Zabkar
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2004 11:39:03 AM