Newcastle vs. Clawhammer heat

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Which Athlon 64 2800 core would be better in terms of low heat/power
consumption: Newcastle or Clawhammer?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:21:34 +0100, "Dominik Roblek" <droblek@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Which Athlon 64 2800 core would be better in terms of low heat/power
>consumption: Newcastle or Clawhammer?

Err, Winchester?:) I have an Athlon64 3500+ Newcastle (retail) and on
Prime95 it runs, from ~40C idle up to 66C, whatever that means with the
on-board diode on a MSI K8T Neo2-F. That's in an Antec 635BII, which is
quite well ventilated and ambient ~74F. Though I don't place a lot of
faith in mbrd calibrations here as an absolute value, I'm more or less
convinced to spend ~$20. extra on a Winchester next time.

I don't see much difference in temps between the 3000+ Clawhammer and
Newcastle we have in K8T Neo-FSRs. Figure whether you prefer the extra
cache or the extra MHz.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:21:34 +0100, "Dominik Roblek" <droblek@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Which Athlon 64 2800 core would be better in terms of low heat/power
>>consumption: Newcastle or Clawhammer?
>
> Err, Winchester?:) I have an Athlon64 3500+ Newcastle (retail) and on
> Prime95 it runs, from ~40C idle up to 66C, whatever that means with the
> on-board diode on a MSI K8T Neo2-F.

66 degrees is pretty hot. My system starts a warning beep at 65 and shuts
down at 70. Normal working temp here is between 30 and 40 degrees C. Long,
CPU intensive work can push mid 50s.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:59:26 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:21:34 +0100, "Dominik Roblek" <droblek@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Which Athlon 64 2800 core would be better in terms of low heat/power
>>>consumption: Newcastle or Clawhammer?
>>
>> Err, Winchester?:) I have an Athlon64 3500+ Newcastle (retail) and on
>> Prime95 it runs, from ~40C idle up to 66C, whatever that means with the
>> on-board diode on a MSI K8T Neo2-F.
>
>66 degrees is pretty hot. My system starts a warning beep at 65 and shuts
>down at 70. Normal working temp here is between 30 and 40 degrees C. Long,
>CPU intensive work can push mid 50s.

<shrug>Like I said, who knows what 66C means here? Warning beeps at 65C is
ridiculous and you should change the thresholds. I have a PIII which has
been running at >60C for >5 years. 37C is blood temp - a CPU which shows
that is lying.:)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

In terms of the AMD 3500+, can anyone tell me what different models exist
and wat the difference are?

jk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

Richard Dower wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=7417
>
> What is the difference between these two?, one is Clawhammer and the other
> is Sledgehammer??
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-493&depa=0
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-497&depa=0

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:12:32 -0000, "Richard Dower"
<richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=7417

Here's another site which summarizes things on one page:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/ though it's not 100% accurate in every
detail... notably Hypertransport bandwidth numbers. Note how AMD snuck out
an Athlon64 3400+(939) with a "damaged" Hypertransport, which does not
appear on any data sheets I've seen.

>Is this it?
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-498&depa=0

That one is mine - you can't have it!:)

Quite honestly, if you see what you want, don't hang about - mbrds are in
short supply and go out of stock... in a few days sometimes. The price on
the CPUs *seems* to be steadily dropping but it's oscillated a bit over the
past few weeks. I get the feeling the mbrd mfrs have about had it with
socket this 'n' socket that, every few weeks.

IMO the Newcastle is not disastrously "hot" but for a warm Summer's day it
could need a bit of A/C to keep it in check - for $20. or so, save the
aggro but then again, the Winchester has a lower TcaseMax of 65C.<shrug>

Rgds, George Macdonald