Dell getting close to choosing AMD very soon?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e=1&u=/nm/20041112/tc_nm/tech_dell_amd_dc&sid=95573372

Yousuf Khan
29 answers Last reply
More about dell close choosing soon
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:

    > Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
    > it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

    Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
    sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
    refuse". ;-)

    --
    Keith
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    "ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
    > it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
    >
    > Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e=1&u=/nm/20041112/tc_nm/tech_dell_amd_dc&sid=95573372
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
    Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
    we'll sell AMD" card.....

    Carlo
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:
    >
    >> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
    >> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
    >

    > Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
    > sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
    > refuse". ;-)

    More to the point it's the time of year that Dell is negotiating their new
    contract with Intel. Dell always leaks stories about offering AMD systems
    when it's new contract time, Intel then comes in with rock bottom prices
    and that's the end of the rumors until it's time for the next contract.
    Who knows, they might even offer a dual Opteron system just to put
    a scare into Intel. They won't offer any Athlon64 systems, just a high
    end server. They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
    their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
    identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
    Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
    on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
    with Microsoft. They might do the same thing with an Opteron. It's very
    unlikely that Dell will jump whole heartedly on the AMD64 bandwagon.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
    >> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
    >>
    >> Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
    >> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e=1&u=/nm/20041112/tc_nm/tech_dell_amd_dc&sid=95573372
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan
    >
    >Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
    >Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
    >we'll sell AMD" card.....

    There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
    with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
    >their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
    >identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
    >Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
    >on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
    >with Microsoft.

    You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
    you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
    in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
    to a huge chunk of the server market.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >Intel's
    >sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
    >refuse". ;-)

    It's probably the other way around. ;p
    Ed
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
    stories reporting how they are being played??
    I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
    Dells game playing and jaw waging.
    Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
    I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
    Ali.
    The road runs both ways.

    "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
    >> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
    >>
    >> Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
    >> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e=1&u=/nm/20041112/tc_nm/tech_dell_amd_dc&sid=95573372
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan
    >
    > Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
    > Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices
    > or we'll sell AMD" card.....
    >

    > Carlo

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.12.03.53.33.160448@att.bizzzz>...
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:
    >
    > > Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
    > > it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
    >

    > Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
    > sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
    > refuse". ;-)

    Normally, I'd tend to agree with you about this, and I'd normally hold
    the send button on this story, except for several reasons now. The
    story has not only been picked up by several news sites, the Dell CEO
    himself is stating it in public (i.e. in front of reporters).
    Secondly, AMD just signed an outsourcing deal with Chartered a couple
    of days ago. Thirdly, AMD's stock price has gone up over 15% in two
    days, so it looks like the Wall Street crooks ...er, investment firms
    are all over it too.

    It's still conceivable that Dell pull another fast one this time too.
    They are not announcing an AMD product roadmap, just saying that they
    definitely are looking at it. Also they aren't talking about big
    volumes here, i.e. not about Athlons or Semprons here, just Opterons
    for servers.

    Yousuf Khan
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:50:03 -0600, chrisv wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
    >>their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
    >>identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
    >>Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
    >>on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
    >>with Microsoft.
    >
    > You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
    > you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
    > in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
    > to a huge chunk of the server market.

    Customer demand is part of it but I think that their Linux strategy is
    determined more by what it says to Microsoft then what it says to their
    customers. They only offer Linux on the high end servers and they sell
    those machines for the same price as the XP servers. So they aren't
    undercutting Microsoft on price but they are sending them a message that
    they could if they wanted to.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    > There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    > Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
    > with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
    >
    > Rgds, George Macdonald

    Those show up all the time..
    Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    Opteron replacement Chips.
    AXP chips at one time spotted too!

    I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
    out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
    I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
    move some stuff to amd.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" <eatspam@yohospam.cpm>
    wrote:

    >Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
    >stories reporting how they are being played??
    >I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
    >Dells game playing and jaw waging.
    >Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
    >I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
    >Ali.
    >The road runs both ways.

    But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell goes public
    and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine Dell putting out an
    announcements on major papers say "Sorry to our millions of customers
    who have their orders cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss."
    :pPpP

  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:36:21 GMT, a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" <eatspam@yohospam.cpm>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
    >>stories reporting how they are being played??
    >>I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
    >>Dells game playing and jaw waging.
    >>Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
    >>I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
    >>Ali.
    >>The road runs both ways.
    >
    >But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell goes public
    >and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine Dell putting out an
    >announcements on major papers say "Sorry to our millions of customers
    >who have their orders cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss."
    >:pPpP

    right, and that would just make Dell consider AMD that much more.
    Ed
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips The little lost angel <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" wrote:
    >>Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of
    >>thousands of stories reporting how they are being played??
    >>I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no
    >>sales would stop Dells game playing and jaw waging. Its a
    >>gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has
    >>1 supplier. I would also raise chip prices if they started
    >>using other chipsets VIA SiS Ali. The road runs both ways.
    >
    > But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell
    > goes public and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine
    > Dell putting out an announcements on major papers say
    > "Sorry to our millions of customers who have their orders
    > cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss." :pPpP

    Neither of these things is even remotely probable.

    This isn't buying onesies-twosies. This is big, critical business.
    Dell probably has 2-4 people who do nothing but buy from Intel.
    Intel has at least that many who do nothing but sell to Dell.

    Dell certainly has a fixed purchase contract with Intel
    to buy X processors at y% discount from Intel's benchmark,
    with options on more. Short of "force majeure" (a fab burning),
    Intel will deliver. Intel needs the volume just as much as Dell.

    If they're in contract negotiations right now, I'd expect it
    to be for 2006 or later. They're idiots if 2005 isn't sewn up.

    A bigger problem is how Dell approaches AMD. AMD can be sure
    if Dell is serious about volume, or just using them as a foil.

    -- Robert
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:

    >> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    >> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
    >> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
    >>
    >> Rgds, George Macdonald
    >>

    >Those show up all the time..
    >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    >Opteron replacement Chips.
    >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    >
    >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
    >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
    >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
    >move some stuff to amd.

    Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    "George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
    |
    | >> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    | >> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a
    mistake
    | >> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
    | >>
    | >> Rgds, George Macdonald
    | >>

    | >Those show up all the time..
    | >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    | >Opteron replacement Chips.
    | >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    | >
    | >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
    kick
    | >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
    because
    | >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    | >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
    prolly
    | >move some stuff to amd.
    |
    | Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

    Now I have heard it all. Dell isn't an OEM builder, they actually make the
    hardware. ROFLMAO
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:34:39 -0500, George Macdonald
    <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
    >On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >>Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
    >>Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
    >>we'll sell AMD" card.....
    >
    >There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    >Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
    >with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.

    It's not really so much that they will sell you an Opteron *system*
    (though they might on a contract-basis, ie if you contract Dell for a
    super-cluster of 1000 Opteron servers, they'll probably be more than
    happy to rebadge some servers for you), but a few months back they DID
    sell Opteron processors.

    The reason for this is actually much more simple than many people
    believe. Dell (and HP, and IBM, and all other big OEMs) will sell you
    a support contract for damn near anything if you pay them enough money
    (hint: do a search on "multivendor support"). If you're willing to
    pay the big bucks, Dell will provide you with support for your HP
    DL485 Opteron server. As such, if one of your chips goes bad, Dell
    needs to have a way to get replacement Opteron processor to you.

    The reasons why you would want Dell supporting your HP server (or vice
    versa) are a bit more complex, but all basically related to having all
    your support contracts handled by one company. ie your company might
    have 300 Dell servers and one odd-ball HP server... rather than having
    a whole other contract with HP for support for that one server you
    could just role it into a big, company-wide contract with Dell.
    One-stop shopping.

    Of course, the moral of this story is that it's quite a different
    story to have some Opteron processors available to people with
    contracts vs. selling a full-fledge Dell-branded Opteron server.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
    >stories reporting how they are being played??
    >I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
    >Dells game playing and jaw waging.

    Well, despite the fact that this would be illegal, it would also cost
    Intel a LOT of money. Rough guesstimate is that Intel sells about 3
    million processors a week, and about 30% of those go through Dell.
    Just shy of a million processors at an average selling price of about
    $100 a pop is a definitely NOT pocket change.

    More importantly though, this would SURELY push Dell to start using
    AMD chips in a big way. Dells #1 reason (at least publicly) for
    sticking with Intel has to do with getting a steady supply of chips.
    If Intel can't give them that, Dell will shop elsewhere.

    >Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
    >I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
    >Ali.

    Sure it does, but where either company can threaten to do some things
    like this in the media, they are somewhat more limited when it comes
    to what they can really do. Intel's had their fair share of legal
    battles revolving around anti-competitive behavior in the past.
    Holding back products just because a company has talked about using a
    competitors product will land them in DEEP trouble in a big hurry.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:04:37 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:34:39 -0500, George Macdonald
    ><fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>>Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
    >>>Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
    >>>we'll sell AMD" card.....
    >>
    >>There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    >>Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
    >>with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
    >
    >It's not really so much that they will sell you an Opteron *system*
    >(though they might on a contract-basis, ie if you contract Dell for a
    >super-cluster of 1000 Opteron servers, they'll probably be more than
    >happy to rebadge some servers for you), but a few months back they DID
    >sell Opteron processors.

    Yes it was a system... by all accounts.

    >The reason for this is actually much more simple than many people
    >believe. Dell (and HP, and IBM, and all other big OEMs) will sell you
    >a support contract for damn near anything if you pay them enough money
    >(hint: do a search on "multivendor support"). If you're willing to
    >pay the big bucks, Dell will provide you with support for your HP
    >DL485 Opteron server. As such, if one of your chips goes bad, Dell
    >needs to have a way to get replacement Opteron processor to you.

    I was *not* talking about Opteron processors - this was a full blown
    Opteron system.

    >The reasons why you would want Dell supporting your HP server (or vice
    >versa) are a bit more complex, but all basically related to having all
    >your support contracts handled by one company. ie your company might
    >have 300 Dell servers and one odd-ball HP server... rather than having
    >a whole other contract with HP for support for that one server you
    >could just role it into a big, company-wide contract with Dell.
    >One-stop shopping.

    I've paid my share of err, "service contracts".;-)

    >Of course, the moral of this story is that it's quite a different
    >story to have some Opteron processors available to people with
    >contracts vs. selling a full-fledge Dell-branded Opteron server.

    I did not personally see the Web page so only hearsay but the story goes
    that Dell actually had a page showing an Opteron Server configuration which
    was publicly "browsable"... until the "mistake" was caught. I believe it
    was when you were on NG hiatus... early 2004?? This "configuration" was
    said to be a one-off for some Dell customer who insisted that they wanted
    an Opteron server... for whatever reason. IOW the gist was: if a customer
    said, at that time, "I want a server with x86-64 capability and will take
    my business elsewhere to get one" Dell was err, malleable. It could be
    folklore but I was convinced by the story at the time.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:51:19 -0600, Ed wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    >
    >>Intel's
    >>sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
    >>refuse". ;-)
    >
    > It's probably the other way around. ;p

    After reading this a few times, I see that what I wrote (at lest what you
    clipped) can be read either way. Just to be certain; Intel will offer a
    price that Michael cannot refuse. It's been this way for a decade, or
    more.

    --
    Keith
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:03:30 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
    >
    >>> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    >>> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
    >>> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
    >>>
    >>> Rgds, George Macdonald
    >>>

    >>Those show up all the time..
    >>Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    >>Opteron replacement Chips.
    >>AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    >>
    >>I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
    >>out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
    >>I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    >>Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
    >>move some stuff to amd.
    >
    > Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

    To be fair, they do servers.

    --
    Keith
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:39:48 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >>>Those show up all the time..
    >>>Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    >>>Opteron replacement Chips.
    >>>AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    >>>
    >>>I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
    >>>out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
    >>>I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    >>>Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
    >>>move some stuff to amd.
    >>
    >> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
    >
    >To be fair, they do servers.

    Yeah and they *do* networking as well. Hell Mikey was voted Networking Man
    of the Year by Network World's readers last year.ô_Ô

    Do they actually design the mbrds though? I'd think it's sub-contracted to
    Jabil or the likes, or taken off a mbrd mfr's shelf... with maybe a coupla
    tweaks. I believe they are also still partnered with EMC on SAN and other
    server stuff.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:35:38 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:39:48 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
    >>
    >>To be fair, they do servers.
    >
    > Yeah and they *do* networking as well. Hell Mikey was voted Networking Man
    > of the Year by Network World's readers last year.ô_Ô

    I love it! ^^^

    > Do they actually design the mbrds though? I'd think it's sub-contracted to
    > Jabil or the likes, or taken off a mbrd mfr's shelf... with maybe a coupla
    > tweaks. I believe they are also still partnered with EMC on SAN and other
    > server stuff.

    Do they actualy lay 'em out? Do they specify their performance and let
    the contractor do the engineering? Actually I don't know, for a fact, but
    it was my impression that they actually did the design work on their
    "enterprise" class widgets. Mundane things like layout and production...

    --
    Keith
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:50:03 -0600, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
    >>>their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
    >>>identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
    >>>Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
    >>>on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
    >>>with Microsoft.
    >>
    >> You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
    >> you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
    >> in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
    >> to a huge chunk of the server market.
    >
    >Customer demand is part of it but I think that their Linux strategy is
    >determined more by what it says to Microsoft then what it says to their
    >customers.

    I think you're mistaken.

    >They only offer Linux on the high end servers and they sell
    >those machines for the same price as the XP servers. So they aren't
    >undercutting Microsoft on price

    So? Why should they sell the Redaht package for less than Windows?
    Many customers for servers wouldn't use Windows if it was given away
    for free.

    >but they are sending them a message that
    >they could if they wanted to.

    Bah. They're trying to make money. It's not news to anyone that a
    computer company can sell Linux machines if they want.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    "George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
    >
    > >> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
    > >> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a
    mistake
    > >> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
    > >>
    > >> Rgds, George Macdonald
    > >>

    > >Those show up all the time..
    > >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    > >Opteron replacement Chips.
    > >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    > >
    > >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
    kick
    > >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
    because
    > >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    > >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
    prolly
    > >move some stuff to amd.
    >
    > Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

    Yeap..
    They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..

    You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
    on the inside..
    They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
    chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
    and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..

    Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
    cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
    cant say that they dont design these things..
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:05:16 +0000, wrote:

    > "George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message

    > mistake

    >> >Those show up all the time..
    >> >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    >> >Opteron replacement Chips.
    >> >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    >> >
    >> >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
    > kick
    >> >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
    > because
    >> >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    >> >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
    > prolly
    >> >move some stuff to amd.
    >>
    >> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
    >
    > Yeap..
    > They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
    >
    > You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
    > on the inside..
    > They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
    > chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
    > and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..

    That's not design, rahter marketing (or "marketeering").

    > Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
    > cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
    > cant say that they dont design these things..

    I'm pretty sure they do thir high-end server designs iYou use. THe rest
    of the stuff is dreck anyway.

    --
    Keith
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:

    >"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message

    >mistake

    >> >Those show up all the time..
    >> >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
    >> >Opteron replacement Chips.
    >> >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
    >> >
    >> >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
    >kick
    >> >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
    >because
    >> >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
    >> >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
    >prolly
    >> >move some stuff to amd.
    >>
    >> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
    >
    >Yeap..
    >They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
    >
    >You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
    >on the inside..
    >They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
    >chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
    >and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..
    >
    >Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
    >cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
    >cant say that they dont design these things..

    If you talk like that to a real designer he's going to fall down
    laughing... or whack you round the ear, depending on what side of bed he
    got out of.:-) Even if you accept that sense of the word there's nothing
    there which would preclude the use of AMD CPUs.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    wrote:
    >"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
    >> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
    >
    >Yeap..
    >They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
    >
    >You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
    >on the inside..
    >They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
    >chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
    >and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..
    >
    >Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
    >cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
    >cant say that they dont design these things..

    There isn't exactly a whole lot of "design" work actually going on
    here, at least not on the desktops. Actually I wouldn't be at all
    supervised if they've even subcontracted out most of what you
    mentioned above. They've definitely outsourced a lot of their
    production (as has HP), and I don't just mean for components. The
    systems themselves are almost all assembled in south-east Asia these
    days.

    For laptops there is even less design involved, they've pretty much
    totally outsourced all the work to Compal, Quanta and maybe one or two
    other companies (again, HP is in the exact same boat here). Funny
    thing comparing HP and Dell these days is that they have a fair chunk
    of their business model to the same companies. I know that they use
    the same firms to make their laptops and at least some of the
    components in their systems. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they
    use the same companies to assemble their systems, and I know that some
    of their outsourced tech support is handled by the same couple of
    companies. In the end, the real difference between these two (at
    least in terms of desktops and laptops) is mostly down to marketing.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:49:08 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message

    >>mistake

    >>kick
    >>because
    >>prolly
    >>>
    >>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
    >>
    >>Yeap..
    >>They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
    >>
    >>You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
    >>on the inside..
    >>They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
    >>chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
    >>and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..
    >>
    >>Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
    >>cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
    >>cant say that they dont design these things..
    >
    > If you talk like that to a real designer he's going to fall down
    > laughing... or whack you round the ear, depending on what side of bed he
    > got out of.:-)

    Hey! SOme of us are rather nice people. Well, at least 'tripper has
    always been a kind soul. ;-)

    > Even if you accept that sense of the word there's nothing
    > there which would preclude the use of AMD CPUs.

    Sure. It's all about profits. AMD is getting too big (or is it that
    Intel's fallen over itself too many times?) to simply ignore.

    --
    Keith
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    >Sure. It's all about profits. AMD is getting too big (or is it that
    >Intel's fallen over itself too many times?) to simply ignore.

    And as far as profits go, there is the little matter that some (not all) of
    their server customers are going to be technically bright enough to be aware
    of the fantastically better price/performance of Opteron over either of
    Intel's 64 bit platforms and they are gonna demand Opteron (I am constantly
    amazed by the performance of the Opteron development system we have at work
    compared to all the other platforms we use).
    --
    >>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
    email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    <URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+