Dell getting close to choosing AMD very soon?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2004 8:45:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e...

Yousuf Khan
November 12, 2004 1:53:33 AM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:

> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
refuse". ;-)

--
Keith
Anonymous

"ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
>
> Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e...
>
> Yousuf Khan

Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
we'll sell AMD" card.....

Carlo
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 2:09:42 AM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:
>
>> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
>> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
>

> Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
> sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
> refuse". ;-)

More to the point it's the time of year that Dell is negotiating their new
contract with Intel. Dell always leaks stories about offering AMD systems
when it's new contract time, Intel then comes in with rock bottom prices
and that's the end of the rumors until it's time for the next contract.
Who knows, they might even offer a dual Opteron system just to put
a scare into Intel. They won't offer any Athlon64 systems, just a high
end server. They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
with Microsoft. They might do the same thing with an Opteron. It's very
unlikely that Dell will jump whole heartedly on the AMD64 bandwagon.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 6:34:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
>> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
>>
>> Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
>> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e...
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
>Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
>Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
>we'll sell AMD" card.....

There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.

Rgds, George Macdonald

a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 11:50:03 AM

General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:

>They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
>their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
>identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
>Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
>on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
>with Microsoft.

You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
to a huge chunk of the server market.
November 12, 2004 1:51:19 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>Intel's
>sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
>refuse". ;-)

It's probably the other way around. ;p
Ed
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 2:05:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
stories reporting how they are being played??
I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
Dells game playing and jaw waging.
Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
Ali.
The road runs both ways.

"Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
>> it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
>>
>> Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
>> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e...
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
> Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices
> or we'll sell AMD" card.....
>

> Carlo

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 2:51:23 PM

keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.12.03.53.33.160448@att.bizzzz>...
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:
>
> > Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
> > it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.
>

> Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
> sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
> refuse". ;-)

Normally, I'd tend to agree with you about this, and I'd normally hold
the send button on this story, except for several reasons now. The
story has not only been picked up by several news sites, the Dell CEO
himself is stating it in public (i.e. in front of reporters).
Secondly, AMD just signed an outsourcing deal with Chartered a couple
of days ago. Thirdly, AMD's stock price has gone up over 15% in two
days, so it looks like the Wall Street crooks ...er, investment firms
are all over it too.

It's still conceivable that Dell pull another fast one this time too.
They are not announcing an AMD product roadmap, just saying that they
definitely are looking at it. Also they aren't talking about big
volumes here, i.e. not about Athlons or Semprons here, just Opterons
for servers.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 3:09:25 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:50:03 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
>>their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
>>identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
>>Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
>>on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
>>with Microsoft.
>
> You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
> you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
> in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
> to a huge chunk of the server market.

Customer demand is part of it but I think that their Linux strategy is
determined more by what it says to Microsoft then what it says to their
customers. They only offer Linux on the high end servers and they sell
those machines for the same price as the XP servers. So they aren't
undercutting Microsoft on price but they are sending them a message that
they could if they wanted to.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 5:17:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
>
> Rgds, George Macdonald

Those show up all the time..
Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
Opteron replacement Chips.
AXP chips at one time spotted too!

I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
move some stuff to amd.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 7:36:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" <eatspam@yohospam.cpm>
wrote:

>Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
>stories reporting how they are being played??
>I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
>Dells game playing and jaw waging.
>Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
>I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
>Ali.
>The road runs both ways.

But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell goes public
and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine Dell putting out an
announcements on major papers say "Sorry to our millions of customers
who have their orders cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss."
:p PpP

November 12, 2004 7:36:22 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:36:21 GMT, a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" <eatspam@yohospam.cpm>
>wrote:
>
>>Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
>>stories reporting how they are being played??
>>I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
>>Dells game playing and jaw waging.
>>Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
>>I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
>>Ali.
>>The road runs both ways.
>
>But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell goes public
>and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine Dell putting out an
>announcements on major papers say "Sorry to our millions of customers
>who have their orders cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss."
>:p PpP

right, and that would just make Dell consider AMD that much more.
Ed
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 8:04:00 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips The little lost angel <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" wrote:
>>Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of
>>thousands of stories reporting how they are being played??
>>I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no
>>sales would stop Dells game playing and jaw waging. Its a
>>gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has
>>1 supplier. I would also raise chip prices if they started
>>using other chipsets VIA SiS Ali. The road runs both ways.
>
> But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell
> goes public and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine
> Dell putting out an announcements on major papers say
> "Sorry to our millions of customers who have their orders
> cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss." :p PpP

Neither of these things is even remotely probable.

This isn't buying onesies-twosies. This is big, critical business.
Dell probably has 2-4 people who do nothing but buy from Intel.
Intel has at least that many who do nothing but sell to Dell.

Dell certainly has a fixed purchase contract with Intel
to buy X processors at y% discount from Intel's benchmark,
with options on more. Short of "force majeure" (a fab burning),
Intel will deliver. Intel needs the volume just as much as Dell.

If they're in contract negotiations right now, I'd expect it
to be for 2006 or later. They're idiots if 2005 isn't sewn up.

A bigger problem is how Dell approaches AMD. AMD can be sure
if Dell is serious about volume, or just using them as a foil.

-- Robert
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 9:03:30 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:

>> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
>> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
>> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
>>
>> Rgds, George Macdonald
>>

>Those show up all the time..
>Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
>Opteron replacement Chips.
>AXP chips at one time spotted too!
>
>I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
>out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
>I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
>Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
>move some stuff to amd.

Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

a b à CPUs
November 12, 2004 11:39:22 PM

"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
| On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
|
| >> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
| >> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a
mistake
| >> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
| >>
| >> Rgds, George Macdonald
| >>

| >Those show up all the time..
| >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
| >Opteron replacement Chips.
| >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
| >
| >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
kick
| >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
because
| >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
| >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
prolly
| >move some stuff to amd.
|
| Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

Now I have heard it all. Dell isn't an OEM builder, they actually make the
hardware. ROFLMAO
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2004 3:04:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:34:39 -0500, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
>>Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
>>we'll sell AMD" card.....
>
>There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
>Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
>with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.

It's not really so much that they will sell you an Opteron *system*
(though they might on a contract-basis, ie if you contract Dell for a
super-cluster of 1000 Opteron servers, they'll probably be more than
happy to rebadge some servers for you), but a few months back they DID
sell Opteron processors.

The reason for this is actually much more simple than many people
believe. Dell (and HP, and IBM, and all other big OEMs) will sell you
a support contract for damn near anything if you pay them enough money
(hint: do a search on "multivendor support"). If you're willing to
pay the big bucks, Dell will provide you with support for your HP
DL485 Opteron server. As such, if one of your chips goes bad, Dell
needs to have a way to get replacement Opteron processor to you.

The reasons why you would want Dell supporting your HP server (or vice
versa) are a bit more complex, but all basically related to having all
your support contracts handled by one company. ie your company might
have 300 Dell servers and one odd-ball HP server... rather than having
a whole other contract with HP for support for that one server you
could just role it into a big, company-wide contract with Dell.
One-stop shopping.

Of course, the moral of this story is that it's quite a different
story to have some Opteron processors available to people with
contracts vs. selling a full-fledge Dell-branded Opteron server.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2004 3:04:38 AM

wrote:

>Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
>stories reporting how they are being played??
>I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
>Dells game playing and jaw waging.

Well, despite the fact that this would be illegal, it would also cost
Intel a LOT of money. Rough guesstimate is that Intel sells about 3
million processors a week, and about 30% of those go through Dell.
Just shy of a million processors at an average selling price of about
$100 a pop is a definitely NOT pocket change.

More importantly though, this would SURELY push Dell to start using
AMD chips in a big way. Dells #1 reason (at least publicly) for
sticking with Intel has to do with getting a steady supply of chips.
If Intel can't give them that, Dell will shop elsewhere.

>Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
>I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
>Ali.

Sure it does, but where either company can threaten to do some things
like this in the media, they are somewhat more limited when it comes
to what they can really do. Intel's had their fair share of legal
battles revolving around anti-competitive behavior in the past.
Holding back products just because a company has talked about using a
competitors product will land them in DEEP trouble in a big hurry.

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2004 12:25:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:04:37 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:34:39 -0500, George Macdonald
><fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>>Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
>>>Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
>>>we'll sell AMD" card.....
>>
>>There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
>>Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
>>with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
>
>It's not really so much that they will sell you an Opteron *system*
>(though they might on a contract-basis, ie if you contract Dell for a
>super-cluster of 1000 Opteron servers, they'll probably be more than
>happy to rebadge some servers for you), but a few months back they DID
>sell Opteron processors.

Yes it was a system... by all accounts.

>The reason for this is actually much more simple than many people
>believe. Dell (and HP, and IBM, and all other big OEMs) will sell you
>a support contract for damn near anything if you pay them enough money
>(hint: do a search on "multivendor support"). If you're willing to
>pay the big bucks, Dell will provide you with support for your HP
>DL485 Opteron server. As such, if one of your chips goes bad, Dell
>needs to have a way to get replacement Opteron processor to you.

I was *not* talking about Opteron processors - this was a full blown
Opteron system.

>The reasons why you would want Dell supporting your HP server (or vice
>versa) are a bit more complex, but all basically related to having all
>your support contracts handled by one company. ie your company might
>have 300 Dell servers and one odd-ball HP server... rather than having
>a whole other contract with HP for support for that one server you
>could just role it into a big, company-wide contract with Dell.
>One-stop shopping.

I've paid my share of err, "service contracts".;-)

>Of course, the moral of this story is that it's quite a different
>story to have some Opteron processors available to people with
>contracts vs. selling a full-fledge Dell-branded Opteron server.

I did not personally see the Web page so only hearsay but the story goes
that Dell actually had a page showing an Opteron Server configuration which
was publicly "browsable"... until the "mistake" was caught. I believe it
was when you were on NG hiatus... early 2004?? This "configuration" was
said to be a one-off for some Dell customer who insisted that they wanted
an Opteron server... for whatever reason. IOW the gist was: if a customer
said, at that time, "I want a server with x86-64 capability and will take
my business elsewhere to get one" Dell was err, malleable. It could be
folklore but I was convinced by the story at the time.

Rgds, George Macdonald

November 14, 2004 12:31:49 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:51:19 -0600, Ed wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>Intel's
>>sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
>>refuse". ;-)
>
> It's probably the other way around. ;p

After reading this a few times, I see that what I wrote (at lest what you
clipped) can be read either way. Just to be certain; Intel will offer a
price that Michael cannot refuse. It's been this way for a decade, or
more.

--
Keith
November 14, 2004 12:39:48 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:03:30 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
>>> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
>>> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
>>>
>>> Rgds, George Macdonald
>>>

>>Those show up all the time..
>>Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
>>Opteron replacement Chips.
>>AXP chips at one time spotted too!
>>
>>I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
>>out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
>>I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
>>Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
>>move some stuff to amd.
>
> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

To be fair, they do servers.

--
Keith
Anonymous

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:39:48 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>>>Those show up all the time..
>>>Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
>>>Opteron replacement Chips.
>>>AXP chips at one time spotted too!
>>>
>>>I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
>>>out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
>>>I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
>>>Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
>>>move some stuff to amd.
>>
>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
>
>To be fair, they do servers.

Yeah and they *do* networking as well. Hell Mikey was voted Networking Man
of the Year by Network World's readers last year.ô_Ô

Do they actually design the mbrds though? I'd think it's sub-contracted to
Jabil or the likes, or taken off a mbrd mfr's shelf... with maybe a coupla
tweaks. I believe they are also still partnered with EMC on SAN and other
server stuff.

Rgds, George Macdonald

November 15, 2004 1:07:26 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:35:38 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:39:48 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
>>
>>To be fair, they do servers.
>
> Yeah and they *do* networking as well. Hell Mikey was voted Networking Man
> of the Year by Network World's readers last year.ô_Ô

I love it! ^^^

> Do they actually design the mbrds though? I'd think it's sub-contracted to
> Jabil or the likes, or taken off a mbrd mfr's shelf... with maybe a coupla
> tweaks. I believe they are also still partnered with EMC on SAN and other
> server stuff.

Do they actualy lay 'em out? Do they specify their performance and let
the contractor do the engineering? Actually I don't know, for a fact, but
it was my impression that they actually did the design work on their
"enterprise" class widgets. Mundane things like layout and production...

--
Keith
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:50:03 -0600, chrisv wrote:
>
>> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
>>>their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
>>>identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
>>>Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
>>>on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
>>>with Microsoft.
>>
>> You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
>> you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
>> in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
>> to a huge chunk of the server market.
>
>Customer demand is part of it but I think that their Linux strategy is
>determined more by what it says to Microsoft then what it says to their
>customers.

I think you're mistaken.

>They only offer Linux on the high end servers and they sell
>those machines for the same price as the XP servers. So they aren't
>undercutting Microsoft on price

So? Why should they sell the Redaht package for less than Windows?
Many customers for servers wouldn't use Windows if it was given away
for free.

>but they are sending them a message that
>they could if they wanted to.

Bah. They're trying to make money. It's not news to anyone that a
computer company can sell Linux machines if they want.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2004 3:05:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:38 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
>
> >> There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
> >> Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a
mistake
> >> with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.
> >>
> >> Rgds, George Macdonald
> >>

> >Those show up all the time..
> >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
> >Opteron replacement Chips.
> >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
> >
> >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
kick
> >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
because
> >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
> >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
prolly
> >move some stuff to amd.
>
> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)

Yeap..
They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..

You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
on the inside..
They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..

Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
cant say that they dont design these things..
November 17, 2004 3:05:17 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:05:16 +0000, wrote:

> "George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message

> mistake

>> >Those show up all the time..
>> >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
>> >Opteron replacement Chips.
>> >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
>> >
>> >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
> kick
>> >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
> because
>> >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
>> >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
> prolly
>> >move some stuff to amd.
>>
>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
>
> Yeap..
> They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
>
> You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
> on the inside..
> They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
> chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
> and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..

That's not design, rahter marketing (or "marketeering").

> Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
> cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
> cant say that they dont design these things..

I'm pretty sure they do thir high-end server designs iYou use. THe rest
of the stuff is dreck anyway.

--
Keith
Anonymous

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:

>"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message

>mistake

>> >Those show up all the time..
>> >Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
>> >Opteron replacement Chips.
>> >AXP chips at one time spotted too!
>> >
>> >I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a
>kick
>> >out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush
>because
>> >I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
>> >Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll
>prolly
>> >move some stuff to amd.
>>
>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
>
>Yeap..
>They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
>
>You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
>on the inside..
>They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
>chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
>and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..
>
>Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
>cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
>cant say that they dont design these things..

If you talk like that to a real designer he's going to fall down
laughing... or whack you round the ear, depending on what side of bed he
got out of.:-) Even if you accept that sense of the word there's nothing
there which would preclude the use of AMD CPUs.

Rgds, George Macdonald

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2004 1:34:46 PM

wrote:
>"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message
>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
>
>Yeap..
>They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
>
>You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
>on the inside..
>They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
>chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
>and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..
>
>Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
>cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
>cant say that they dont design these things..

There isn't exactly a whole lot of "design" work actually going on
here, at least not on the desktops. Actually I wouldn't be at all
supervised if they've even subcontracted out most of what you
mentioned above. They've definitely outsourced a lot of their
production (as has HP), and I don't just mean for components. The
systems themselves are almost all assembled in south-east Asia these
days.

For laptops there is even less design involved, they've pretty much
totally outsourced all the work to Compal, Quanta and maybe one or two
other companies (again, HP is in the exact same boat here). Funny
thing comparing HP and Dell these days is that they have a fair chunk
of their business model to the same companies. I know that they use
the same firms to make their laptops and at least some of the
components in their systems. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they
use the same companies to assemble their systems, and I know that some
of their outsourced tech support is handled by the same couple of
companies. In the end, the real difference between these two (at
least in terms of desktops and laptops) is mostly down to marketing.

-------------
Tony Hill
November 18, 2004 1:15:04 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:49:08 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
>

>>"George Macdonald" <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message

>>mistake

>>kick
>>because
>>prolly
>>>
>>> Dell designs hardware? That's a good one.:-)
>>
>>Yeap..
>>They do actually (or at least they did not so long ago)..
>>
>>You had a Dell Power supply, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell connections
>>on the inside..
>>They would take a companys base design.. Say a MSI board.. Decide where to
>>chop power, where to increase power, How they would like the pinconnections
>>and a few other bits and then it would be made by MSI ..
>>
>>Do they design anything from the ground up.. I doubt that (Unless it's their
>>cases).. But just because they dont make/build/design it all 100% then you
>>cant say that they dont design these things..
>
> If you talk like that to a real designer he's going to fall down
> laughing... or whack you round the ear, depending on what side of bed he
> got out of.:-)

Hey! SOme of us are rather nice people. Well, at least 'tripper has
always been a kind soul. ;-)

> Even if you accept that sense of the word there's nothing
> there which would preclude the use of AMD CPUs.

Sure. It's all about profits. AMD is getting too big (or is it that
Intel's fallen over itself too many times?) to simply ignore.

--
Keith
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

>Sure. It's all about profits. AMD is getting too big (or is it that
>Intel's fallen over itself too many times?) to simply ignore.

And as far as profits go, there is the little matter that some (not all) of
their server customers are going to be technically bright enough to be aware
of the fantastically better price/performance of Opteron over either of
Intel's 64 bit platforms and they are gonna demand Opteron (I am constantly
amazed by the performance of the Opteron development system we have at work
compared to all the other platforms we use).
--
email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley&gt; Free Software and Politics <<==+
!